I realized I am getting older because...

porcy62

This is the first Chritsmas that I couldn't find any TV channels that will broadcast Capra' s 'It's a Wonderful Life'. :D

It has run once already and will again tonite.

Sure, maybe in the United States! :P

You americans b*****d...oops, it's Christmas, you americans b..lessed people, you never get old with your f*****g, oopps again, fascinating cable TV! :g

I've never seen this movie.

Guy

I can say the same......

What, do B&W movies make your eyes hurt? :P (No joke, a girl I kinda sorta dated said that to me, we didn't see much of each other after that)

Seriously, if you 2 ever do see the film just go into it with an open mind. Don't think of what everyone else has told you about it....Man, first we hear there are people on a jazz board that don't own Charlie Parker cds, then this! sp_thud.gif

(though the Charlie Parker thing is more shocking)

Hey, Jimmy Stewart was one the greatest, even he supported Reagan. I couldn't say the same for Charlton Heston. And Capra was one the great, (actually John Ford was the greatest film director of classic US movies, Wilder, and all the european immigrants do not count as true 'american' directors IMHO). If you don't know this movie you're missing a piece of history of your country.

When those who haven't seen "It's A Wonderful Life" finally see it, you may be pleasantly surprised. It's a very dark film, in many ways. You don't see many Christmas movies these days that dwell on suicide.

My favorite bit is when Mary loses her bathrobe!

"This is a very interesting situation!" :excited:

Which town would have produced more interesting music, Bedford Falls or Pottersville? One was a sleepy white bread community and the other a wide open honky tonk town. Let's not be so quick to condemn old man Potter. I bet some swinging bands played in Pottersville while Bedford Falls probably had to settle for Mickey Mouse outfits playing country club dances. But then my favorite character has always been Violet Bick, the town slut.

Which town would have produced more interesting music, Bedford Falls or Pottersville? One was a sleepy white bread community and the other a wide open honky tonk town. Let's not be so quick to condemn old man Potter. I bet some swinging bands played in Pottersville while Bedford Falls probably had to settle for Mickey Mouse outfits playing country club dances. But then my favorite character has always been Violet Bick, the town slut.

This remember me the famous statement of O. Welles:

“In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.”

When those who haven't seen "It's A Wonderful Life" finally see it, you may be pleasantly surprised. It's a very dark film, in many ways. You don't see many Christmas movies these days that dwell on suicide.

Exactly, the artistry of classic film directors like Capra, Ford, Hawks, Wilder, ecc was the ability to add their touch and shadow of doub and darkness even in the strict formulas of that kind of movies.

Hey, Jimmy Stewart was one the greatest, even he supported Reagan. I couldn't say the same for Charlton Heston. And Capra was one the great, (actually John Ford was the greatest film director of classic US movies, Wilder, and all the european immigrants do not count as true 'american' directors IMHO). If you don't know this movie you're missing a piece of history of your country.

I don't much care about Jimmy Stewart's political ideas. He was a superb actor!

And Charlton Heston was also excellent in a number of films (including 'Touch of Evil, 'Planet of the Apes', among others). Too bad about his politics!

As for John Ford, he was the greatest film director. Period!

My 2 cents!

It is indeed a very dark film and key to its success is Stewart in conveying his growing anger at having his dreams shunted aside up through the events of the final reel, in which his performance stands with any he ever gave.

Twizzle's point is well taken, though I have to say that what seems a little odd is that Pottersville has more strip joints per capita than any other small upstate NY town in history. :g

Anyone else ever notice that the two buddies names are Bert and Ernie? I always wondered if there was a connection ....

;)

And Charlton Heston was also excellent in a number of films (including 'Touch of Evil, 'Planet of the Apes', among others). Too bad about his politics!

My 2 cents!

Heston was a good actor in some movies, Stewart was great in almost all of his acting. F*** about their political ideas, I watch their movies, they don't ask me to get elected. And, as Reagan showed us, you don't have to be a good actor for being a president, good or bad, he's gone now, if up or down depends on your political and religious opinion.

I think Ford was one the greatest of all times, but I think he is in good company in the director's Heaven: Kubrick, Wilder, Hawks, Fellini, Truffaut, Welles, Bunuel, ecc.. I can imagine how they can stress the Big Producer up there for getting the holy money for their next celestial movie.

Edited by porcy62

My 2 cents!

Heston was a good actor in some movies, Stewart was great in almost all of his acting. F*** about their political ideas, I watch their movies, they don't ask me to get elected. And, as Reagan showed us, you don't have to be a good actor for being a president, good or bad, he's gone now, if up or down depends on your political and religious opinion.

I think Ford was one the greatest of all times, but I think he is in good company in the director's Heaven: Kubrick, Wilder, Hawks, Fellini, Truffaut, Welles, Bunuel, Hitchcock, ecc.. I can imagine how they can stress the Big Producer up there for getting the holy budget for their celestial movies.

Edited by porcy62

Anyone else ever notice that the two buddies names are Bert and Ernie? I always wondered if there was a connection ....

Here's an answer from:

http://www.sagecraft.com/puppetry/questions.html#berternie

Are Sesame Street's Bert and Ernie named for Bert the cop and Ernie the cabdriver in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life"?

Jerry Juhl, head writer for the Muppets for many years responded to a statement in San Francisco Chronicle writer Jon Carroll's column that Bert and Ernie were named for Bert the cop and Ernie the cabdriver in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life."

Jerry Juhl writes:

I was the head writer for the Muppets for 36 years and one of the original writers on "Sesame Street." The rumor about "It's a Wonderful Life" has persisted over the years.

I was not present at the naming, but I was always positive it was incorrect. Despite his many talents, Jim had no memory for details like this. He knew the movie, of course, but would not have remembered the cop and the cabdriver. I was not able to confirm this with Jim before he died, but shortly thereafter I spoke to Jon Stone, Sesame Street's first producer and head writer and a man largely responsible for the show's format. (Jon, sadly, is no longer with us either.)

He assured me that Ernie and Bert were named one day when he and Jim were studying the prototype puppets. They decided that one of them looked like an Ernie, and the other one looked like a Bert. The movie character names are purely coincidental.

IMG_2874.jpg

Porcy62, I took this photo specifically for you yesterday night. New Yorkers will recognize the corner of West 3rd Street and 6th Avenue. Maybe you should come to New York for your next Christmas. There are thousands of Italians that come here for the Holidays. Watch some good movies, do some shopping, listen to some jazz, laugh at the Americans...

IMG_2874.jpg

Porcy62, I took this photo specifically for you yesterday night. New Yorkers will recognize the corner of West 3rd Street and 6th Avenue. Maybe you should come to New York for your next Christmas. There are thousands of Italians that come here for the Holidays. Watch some good movies, do some shopping, listen to some jazz, laugh at the Americans...

Many, many thanks Dmitry! :)

Every Christmas I am attracted by a trip to NY, and I have dozens of friends who actually do it. I don't know why I never did. Sure I'll do it one of these Christmas.

BTW, US is one of the few places I knew better from books, movies, music and I visited it for a very short time.

During my life I spent more then one month in Canada or Mexico and few days in US. Maybe with the next administration ;)

Anyway I haven't any intention to die before having a look at the Grand Canyon and the Monument Valley. John Ford still rules in my youth.

Edited by porcy62

This is the first Chritsmas that I couldn't find any TV channels that will broadcast Capra' s 'It's a Wonderful Life'. :D

I think NBC (?) bought the broadcast rights to the movie in the US. A few years ago, it was on every channel, every day starting just after Thanksgiving; even that horrendous colorized version. :bad:

I guess the thinking at NBC was to show it just once or twice during the season to make it a "special holiday event".

I think NBC (?) bought the broadcast rights to the movie in the US. A few years ago, it was on every channel, every day starting just after Thanksgiving; even that horrendous colorized version. :bad:

I guess the thinking at NBC was to show it just once or twice during the season to make it a "special holiday event".

So they are bought the copyright of our memory.

Watch out, someone will buy the recipe of the apple pie, or try to get a patent for sunday's bbq. One of these days we will have to pay royalties for everything. :bad:

Frank Capra was mad at his attorney, and never got around to signing the forms which would allow him to extend the copyright. So the film fell into public domain.

Once it was in P.D., it was free to everyone, and all the TV stations showed it all the time.

It is my opinion that this P.D. exposure is the reason for the film's popularity. I'm not commenting on its quality. There are a lot of good movies that aren't as popular. I say that it became popular because it was aired so often, and became a Christmas staple on US televison.

Then a court ruled that although under some circumstances a movie can go into public domain, the copyright of the music and soundtrack is covered by a different law. This ruling in effect meant that TV stations could show the video for free but not the audio.

So the movie effectively went back into copyright. It was then that NBC bought the exclusive right to show it on TV. And NBC shows it only once or twice a year.

I don't know when NBC's contract expires. I also don't know when the movie goes into P.D. again in the US - probably the same 75 years as for audio recordings.

edit for typo

Edited by GA Russell