Hutch Select

Aftab

The Hutch is my favorite of this batch. I like them both much more than I thought I would. This is not my favorite period for either artist but I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised.

I've been keeping up with the Select series. I use it for the exposure to artists (or artists' material) that I wouldn't ordinarily consider. Sort of a way to stretch beyond basic BN & OJC.

This was a good batch. I would recommend both.

I've had the Hutch lps for years and have always enjoyed this music quite a bit. Hearing it all on CD (versus those lousy 70s BN lps) is a real treat! This is very nice music, great vibe!

were 70's Blue Note vinyls that bad?

JB

Erratic might be a better term. I've had some that sounded good, but many had way too many pops and clicks right out of the shrinkwrap.

BTW, there is an Eddie Marshall CD called Dance of the Sun on Timeless from 77 that features the basic group as on many of the Select sessions (Hutch, Leary, Boyd).

I see the board member "currently known as donald petersen" ;) has a copy for sale - it is definitely worth getting if you like the Select.

Edited by Eric

Guest donald petersen

so how are people liking the select?

i have "waiting" on vinyl and really like it. i also have "cirrus" and i like it a lot. i also have "knucklebean" and don't care for it. where do the other sessions lie compared to these albums? better? worse? thank you.

Guest donald petersen

i was surprised to see on the aaj board discussion about the box, the main hutcherson fan thought "waiting" was the weakest set on the disc. maybe i need to reevaluate my thoughts...

i was surprised to see on the aaj board discussion about the box, the main hutcherson fan thought "waiting" was the weakest set on the disc. maybe i need to reevaluate my thoughts...

Just spinning the LP for 'Waiting' and side 1 is an absolute corker, a real groover. The second side is not quite so strong but overall a definite :tup . George Cables was definitely on form for this date !