Hutch Select

Aftab

Yes, this one should be interesting. How infrequent is it that NONE of this material has been out on CD? I've got all the lps except for the one issued in Japan only. Some of the material is quite good - up there with his late 60s stuff. There really isn't any bad material, although some of the weaker stuff is too tame for my taste.

I am especially looking forward to the sonic improvement - BN lps of this era seemed to sound lousy ...

Edited by Eric

This is a long-overdue box. I have much of it on LP, but would love to upgrade. Cirrus and Knucklebean are especially good, iirc; Waiting and View a bit less so. Overall, I think most of this stuff is better than Montara, which was released on CD.

Hi Mike! Thanks for the heads up. Just preordered as well.

I preordered it and the Tyner (and ordered the Lloyd and Blakey singles) from their website earlier in the week.

The Blakey single is terrific....can't go wrong when Jackie Mclean is on the front line, imo. Great studio sound too.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at my lps that correspond to this set and noticed that they are not including "Head On". It IS from 1971, so it misses the cut-off by several years. IIRC, it has the same vibe as the 74-77 stuff, but it really is more representative of the Hutch/Land group. I did notice Hutch is wearing the same orange cap on both "Head On" and "Cirrus" - photos must have come from the same session.

I did notice Hutch is wearing the same orange cap on both "Head On" and "Cirrus" - photos must have come from the same session.

Not necessarily, he could have kept that cap for years... :D

If I had a cap that cool, I'd keep it.

It's the end of January, the Hutch select should be forthcoming any time now.

Head on, apply directly to the forehead! Head on, apply directly to the forehead! Head on, apply directly to the forehead! um...... anyway I requested a promo back in October so I hope it hits soon.

My Hutch Select came in the mail today, along with the Tyner Select and the Lloyd and Blakey singles. It will be a happy listening day at work tomorrow!

Edited by felser

i also received my copy of the hutcherson select today!

blue note actually had plans to release,head on,on cd. what had to be 10 years ago, i received a release list for capitol/blue note.it was like 3/4 pages long. i don't still have it but ,head on ,was on the list. i checkmarked everything on that list that was released, the only thing on that list that was not released, head on. ????? i think i tried to find out why not,but never received a reply.

Edited by mike casinghino

i also received my copy of the hutcherson select today!

blue note actually had plans to release,head on,on cd. what had to be 10 years ago, i received a release list for capitol/blue note.it was like 3/4 pages long. i don't still have it but ,head on ,was on the list. i checkmarked everything on that list that was released, the only thing on that list that was not released, head on. ????? i think i tried to find out why not,but never received a reply.

Granted I haven't heard it in 30 years, but I always considered Head On a huge disappointment, largely given over to Todd Cochran annoyances. I really liked "Mtume" from it, but had no use for the other three cuts. Might sound different to me now with distance, though. It also doesn't fit in chronologically with the Select. It's from '71, Select is '74-'77. they could do another Select with Head On, Montreux, Total Eclipse, San Francisco, and Now, or something like that.

Guest the mommy

todd cochrane was one of the best musicians to come along in the 70s, felsse!

or at least i think so.

until automatic man.

i too found "head on" disappointing but it deserves a relisten.

todd cochrane was one of the best musicians to come along in the 70s, felsse!

or at least i think so.

until automatic man.

i too found "head on" disappointing but it deserves a relisten.

Adamski, What did you like him in? Automatic Man was terrible, IMHO. If memory serves me, he may have done an album or two on Prestige which were OK, but that's fuzzy now.