Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disc 1 of 4 - Ella Twelve Nights in Hollywood...

:wub: :wub: :wub:

I LOVE the packaging!!! Music is pretty damn good too... :)

The packaging impressed me quite a bit as well. On the downside, the set is sized like a book and will have to be stored with the hardcovers instead of the cd boxed sets.

Upcoming sets from Hip-o-Select:

Clifford Brown

Nat King Cole

"Tribute to Thelonious"

No F***king way... What's the Clifford and Cole about? Where'd you get the info? Previously unreleased material???? :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

The packaging impressed me quite a bit as well. On the downside, the set is sized like a book and will have to be stored with the hardcovers instead of the cd boxed sets.

Clifford Brown

Nat King Cole

"Tribute to Thelonious"

No F***king way... What's the Clifford and Cole about? Where'd you get the info? Previously unreleased material???? :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Clifford Brown

Nat King Cole

"Tribute to Thelonious"

Got the info off the Hoffman board. The Clifford will probably be a rehash of a subset of the Emarcy box from the 90s. The Cole will probably be the Deccas with maybe some Granz JATP stuff thrown in. The "Tribute to Thelonious" was a 2 lp set with various artists paying tribute to the music of T Monk. Verve had mentioned wanting to release this a few years ago, but never got around to it. Hip-o-Select, btw, is a UMG owned company., so I assume any music they release would have to come from under the UMG umbrella.

Stan Getz-Kenny Barron 'People Time' (Universal/EmArcy), disc 2

Is this box an lp sized box similar to the Chet Baker Barclay one that was released a couple of years ago? How is the previously unreleased music?

It's a Mosaic Select size box.

The previously unreleased music is plain magnificent!

So is the sound (except for the final track 'Night and Day' which is added as a bonus and was taped during a soundcheck on opening night).

A splendid testimony to both men's music.

The Complete Charlie Parker on Verve - disc 4, with the first "Bird With Strings" session and the Bird & Diz session.

When I was about 16, I was listening to my old "Bird & Diz" album in the living room when my mom walked through carrying a basket full of laundry. She paused and listened for a few seconds, then said, "That drummer doesn't really fit in with the rest of them, does he?"

How hip was my mom?

The Complete Charlie Parker on Verve - disc 4, with the first "Bird With Strings" session and the Bird & Diz session.

When I was about 16, I was listening to my old "Bird & Diz" album in the living room when my mom walked through carrying a basket full of laundry. She paused and listened for a few seconds, then said, "That drummer doesn't really fit in with the rest of them, does he?"

How hip was my mom?

I made a comment like that to my old departed friend Don DeMichael. He was horrified. I will never forget that reaction from one of my early "gods".

How hip was my mom?

Very! I'm impressed.