Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe Henderson - The Milstone Years - thanks to Newbury Comics - can't say I love all the music on this box, but Joe's playing is exceptional throughout, perhaps the strongest playing of his career, certainly better than the later Verve sessions.

A bit of noodling and excess of patchoulie oil wafting in the air in some of the later sessions but Joe's playing is never less than very good. I agree that the playing quality exceeds that on the Verve sessions and is only bettered by his Blue Notes.

Joe Henderson - The Milstone Years - thanks to Newbury Comics - can't say I love all the music on this box, but Joe's playing is exceptional throughout, perhaps the strongest playing of his career, certainly better than the later Verve sessions.

A bit of noodling and excess of patchoulie oil wafting in the air in some of the later sessions but Joe's playing is never less than very good. I agree that the playing quality exceeds that on the Verve sessions and is only bettered by his Blue Notes.

I generally prefer the Milestones to the Blue Notes (except "Inner urge"). I never got "Power to the people" because it looked a bit too much like a standard BN session, but I bought "Problem/solution", "Multiple", "Canyon lady" and "Black miracle" and enjoy them all very much indeed. Not so keen on "Black narcissus", which is a bit too much like a Rock album for my limited taste in modern jazz, though I've kept the LP, so I don't hate it :) Is there much more on the "Milestone years" box that I've missed? (I know there are extra cuts from the ""Problem/solution" session.)

MG

Joe Henderson: The Milestone Years (Disc 1)

Henderson_MilestoneYearsSmall.jpg

It is the best $11 I've ever spent.

Absolutely, I feel the same way. I've heard a lot of the music before and have had 4 or 5 of the LP's. But I'm sure glad I have it in this format. The first four discs plus track one of Disc 5 (Japanese set) are really, really good; the rest of the set not so much IMO (some Ok tracks here and there). I will be revisitng the first four CD's again and again. The rest perhaps once more. But again I have to say that Joe's playing is excellent everywhere on this set (JH in Japan is on fire!)

Absolutely, I feel the same way. I've heard a lot of the music before and have had 4 or 5 of the LP's. But I'm sure glad I have it in this format. The first four discs plus track one of Disc 5 (Japanese set) are really, really good; the rest of the set not so much IMO (some Ok tracks here and there). I will be revisitng the first four CD's again and again. The rest perhaps once more. But again I have to say that Joe's playing is excellent everywhere on this set (JH in Japan is on fire!)

but isn't Canyon Lady in the second half? :) I also like the album with Alice Coltrane a lot... these might be my favorite albums besides Power to the People, Tetragon and In Japan

but isn't Canyon Lady in the second half? :) I also like the album with Alice Coltrane a lot... these might be my favorite albums besides Power to the People, Tetragon and In Japan

Disk 6 of the Joe Handerson Box on at this very moment. :) Will follow up with disks 7 and 8. Count me in as a definite fan of 'Canyon Lady'.

Edited by sidewinder

Man, I need to dig this box out again. I like the second half of the box, has a very CTI feel to it, IMO, which I really enjoy!