Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night: disc 1 of the JSP Lang/Venuti box - not all too bad, but I do think these 4CDs will do it for me and I'll do my best not to regret having missed out on the Mosaic.

I wonder, who did the remastering for the JSP? Some names are always mentioned (Kendall etc.) but nothing is stated here.

Andrea Centazzo Mitteleuropa Orchestra

The Complete Recordings: 1980-1983

Have not start listening to it since i just received it today but gotta say that this the packaging of this box set could have been way better ...

will have to buy some cd cases. :bwallace2:

ACMO_200.jpg

Edited by Van Basten II

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making my way through the complete "That Devilin' Tune" collection while reading the book. Damn, I'm truly amazed. Allen's really done the world a service, but I can't imagine reading the book without being able to reach for the music. I'm seven discs into the first set and look forward to getting to music I am more familiar with, but I think this collection really is a lifetime of listening, not to mention an important corrective to the usual Jazz 101 history. I'd never have checked if it wasn't for the promo, ($90 per box at Amoeba) but I am digging this completely.

Don't know what is the consensus about this one but considering how little i own in this style of music, must say i'm enjoying it a lot.

51do%20eZQ7RL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Grammy award winner - does that make a difference?

MG

Not really but i still enjoy it the same, i think this is the kind of music i enjoy most in a pot-pourri situation. differnt bands with different sounds.

Like i wrote earlier, i have very little music from this era and from this sphere of music, any recommendations about compilations that would cover similar grounds but still being complementary to this fine set.

Don't know what is the consensus about this one but considering how little i own in this style of music, must say i'm enjoying it a lot.

MG

Not really but i still enjoy it the same, i think this is the kind of music i enjoy most in a pot-pourri situation. differnt bands with different sounds.

Like i wrote earlier, i have very little music from this era and from this sphere of music, any recommendations about compilations that would cover similar grounds but still being complementary to this fine set.

There's pages of recommendations in the thread with that title :D

(This post dedicated to Chuck Nessa)

MG

I'm listening to The Keynote Collection. I know it's 21 CD's. I have Fourteen. What else I don't have......a track list. I just need to know title and group. I can always find dates, group members etc. in a Mercury/Emarcy discogrophy. I've tried for years to try and find a track list for the complete set but no luck. Any ideas on where to look?

Thanks.

MG

There's pages of recommendations in the thread with that title :D

(This post dedicated to Chuck Nessa)

MG

Thanks, found the thread, it was probably done before i became a regular here, hope it does not end up with Clementine telling us this is all crap. :rolleyes:

Edited by Van Basten II

Next in line on the box set front. The story of saxophone Jazz brought to you by the same people who made the very fine series Les trésors du jazz.

This 10 cd boxset gives you music by the finest players before 1956 in a chronoligical order by selected instruments. Cd 1 starts with a selection of soprano sax performers, starring Sydney Bechet and Johnny Hodges ending with a Steve Lacy performance with the piece Johnny came lately from Cecil Taylor at Newport.

Afterwards, it begins the selection of Alto saxophones with Frank Trumbauer rendition of Singin' the blues circa february 1927 and it goes on with music from Otto Hardwicke, Paul "Stump" Evans, Benny Carter and many others.

Unfortunately, i can't find any tracklisting available on the net.

Edited by Van Basten II

I'm listening to The Keynote Collection. I know it's 21 CD's. I have Fourteen. What else I don't have......a track list. I just need to know title and group. I can always find dates, group members etc. in a Mercury/Emarcy discogrophy. I've tried for years to try and find a track list for the complete set but no luck. Any ideas on where to look?

Thanks.

doesn't sound like his thread will help you, but who knows

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=38693

maybe searching the board more may help more...

The only problem I had with that set was WEA had already released a lot of those tunes in similarly themed comps in 2003, I think. Granted, those were in the UK, but there was too much duplication for me to justify that set.

Django on the Radio boxset

I have heard the firs three discs and I am blown away. Even better then I would have guessed.

It is a really nice set. Glad you are enjoying it! (Especially since I sort of clued you in to it, and if you hadn't I would have steered you wrong!)