Braxton Arista

I think these must be extraodinarily hard to come by...the only copies I've seen are up near, or above, the £100 mark...but does anyone have any leads on any of the Braxton Arista material (CD or LP)?

I only have 'For Trio', but would dearly love to hear the Creative Orchestra Music (1976), the Five Pieces (1975), or the Montreux/Berlin Concerts.

In hope but not expectation, thanks!

The Montreaux/Berlin Concerts were released on CD as "Anthony Braxton Live" by RCA in 1990. I found a copy in a decent shape a month or so ago on Amazon Marketplace for $14 or $15. I have no idea how rare this is, as I found a copy as soon as I started looking for it. It is wonderful music and goes very well with the "Dortmund (Quartet) 1976" on HatArt.

Yes, a Braxton Arista sessions box set would be the best re-issue possible!

Good luck.

Edited by Bol

The CD reissue of Montreux/Berlin omits one track. $15 is a very good price. The CD has been known to go for more than quadruple that.

Creative Orchestra Music is the only other original Arista to wind up on CD.

The albums frequently pop up on eBay, often at reasonable prices. Avoid rip-off asking prices; these LPs aren't that scarce.

The Arista LPs have circulated as part of a tree in the past; it's about time they were given a proper release.

I think these must be extraodinarily hard to come by...the only copies I've seen are up near, or above, the £100 mark...but does anyone have any leads on any of the Braxton Arista material (CD or LP)?

I only have 'For Trio', but would dearly love to hear the Creative Orchestra Music (1976), the Five Pieces (1975), or the Montreux/Berlin Concerts.

These are cheap in the states. I had all of them at one point but had to make room, figuring it wouldn't be hard to buy them back. It isn't. If it's vinyl you want, I'll keep my eyes out.

I think CT might be referring to the LPs, which are rather easy to come by up here. I was in a store yesterday and I picked up For Trio for $4.99 (a little beat up, but OK). For whatever it's worth, there were a few copies of COM (1967) in stock... the CD, on the other hand, is difficult as all hell to find.

And David--I found the stuff in the San Fernando Valley in CA--not all that far from you--so I'd think that my pickins would be your pickins.

These are cheap in the states. I had all of them at one point but had to make room, figuring it wouldn't be hard to buy them back. It isn't. If it's vinyl you want, I'll keep my eyes out.

CHEAP?? Difficult to find! I suggest you buy (if you can) at least half a dozen CDs of Creative Orchestra Music, Five Pieces 1975, and Montreux/Berlin. Several of us here would buy them from you immediately.

Sadly (and shockingly), Five Pieces isn't on CD.

A batch of Creative Orchestra Musics and the 3/4s of Montreux/Berlin CD reissue showed up on eBay a couple of years ago at less than $20! I managed to snap up a Creative Orchestra Music, but the live date was gone in seconds.

I think these must be extraodinarily hard to come by...the only copies I've seen are up near, or above, the £100 mark...

Really? :o

I've got a few, bought many years ago at about £3/4 each. 'NY Fall 1974', 'Montreux/Berlin'. :excited:

Those were my favorites. Shoulda kept 'em but was paring down the collection at the time.

I always forget that these were at one time on CD. I can't speak for their rarity in that medium, but the LPs are usually under $10 and very common. It would be nice to see the material issued in a CD box set form. In fact, I might just wait until that happens to get this stuff back.

How many Braxton albums were released on Arista?
• New York, Fall 1974

• Five Pieces 1975

• The Montreux/Berlin Concerts

• Creative Orchestra Music 1976

• Time Zones

• Duets 1976

• For Trio

• For Four Orchestras [Composition 82]

• Alto Saxophone Improvisations 1979

• For Two Pianos [Composition 95]

Edited by rostasi

• 2 weeks later...

i have had the creative and montreux for 30 years.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Has anyone here heard For Four Orchestras?

Of that list I posted above?

I bought each one of those within...ohhh, say, a month of each of their releases.

For Four Orchestras is an acquired taste - or it really depends on

what you're looking for in a Braxton piece. It has complexities, but not as well integrated as

an extended Gruppen or Carré without the choir part. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th copy of it.

Unless you're interested in giving some attention to "difficult" orchestral music,

it may not be for you.