Looking for opinions on Kenny Burrell's Weaver of Dreams

Parkertown

Thanks Jim. Not sure if I should pull the trigger then...

I'm only just barely getting into some jazz vocals...here's what I've enjoyed so far; it's not much...but all of these I really, really like:

Ella Fitzgerald - Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie on Verve. Nice small group album. This one hit me immediately. Whereas, I didn't ever connect with her singing on that Cote D'Azure set with the Ellington orchestra..

Whoever that is singing "Hello to the Wind" on Bobby Hutcherson's "Now" album. Is that Andy Bey, I think?

The vocalist on Horace Silver's "Senor Blues." Bill something, I think...

Nancy Wilson & Cannonball Adderley- on Capitol. It's been a while, but I remember really diggin' her singing "A Sleepin' Bee."

Chet? I've only heard him singing on the Limelight album, "Born To Be Blue." I haven't quite made up my mind about that one...

Hmmm...I'm gonna hafta think pretty hard on this one. -_-

Kenny sings? How is this session? Sell me on it... :cool:

I like the album. Kenny's singing is pretty good, but not exceptional. Many with lesser gifts have pursued singing careers.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I might have said "very good" instead of "pretty good". He doesn't have an exceptional voice, but it's fairly distinctive, and like his guitar playing, his singing is full of taste.

I also like Bill Henderson (try the Vee Jay recordings); and much of Nancy Wilson's Capitol material from the 60's.

If I was beginning a vocal collection, there are probably a thousand items I'd put before the Kenny Burrell. Now, if it was a jazz GUITAR collection...

Gene McDaniels - the only time I ever heard him was at Newport, with Eddie Harris - "The Silent Majority" - that's about as bitter as it gets! (An afternoon session, not many people - the song seemed out of place in that sunny setting. But still a lot of fun.)

Edited by DMP

Parkertown, do you enjoy Armstrong?

Because if you enjoyed Ella in a small group setting, and you like Armstrong, you will love Ella and Louis together. I think they did about three CDs worth of material, with my favorites being Ella and Louis and Ella and Louis Again.

Oh, and I absolutely fucking hate Althea Young's vocals on those Larry Young Blue Note albums...

Oh, God...make her stop. It sounds like a cat being strangled...

Oooh... kinda harsh. :blush:

Absolutely my view as well. When I play those LPs, I always skip the Althea Young tracks. In fact, her singing made me get rid of "Heaven on earth".

MG