Nat Adderley

JohnS

Tom posted this yesterday

Again, the real surprise for me on this session is Nat. If this guy played a better session, I'm not aware of it. Great work throughout. :tup

So I thought I'd start a thread. But I found I didn't need to!

My take on Cannonball is different; I started buying his albums because I loved Nat's playing so much. "Work song" was one of the early Soul Jazz albums I bought, in 1961, really before I knew much about it, and therefore had quite an impact on the development of my ideas.

A funny thing is, until the last few months, I never bothered with other Riverside albums by Nat. I've got tons of his stuff, but mostly later recordings. But I'm really enjoying

Branching out

Much brass

In the bag

Little big horn

Others I've had for a while that are in regular circulation on my player are

Sayin' Somethin'/Live at Memory Lane - Atlantic twofer on Collectables with Joe Henderson (from 1966/67)

A little New York midtown music - Galaxy (OJC) (1978)

Noble & Nat - King Snake (1990) (great joint effort with Noble "Thin Man" Watts)

Talkin' about you - Landmark (1990)

The old country - Enja (1990 again)

Workin' - Timeless (live in Berlin 1992)

A Night in Manhattan - Alfa Jazz (also 1992)

Good company - Challenge (1994)

Live at the Floating Jazz Festival - Chiaroscuro (1994) - Nat tells some great stories on this 2 CD set, as well as the music - like Cannon, he had the gift of the gab

Mercy mercy mercy - Alfa Jazz (Evidence) (1995)

As a sideman, Nat played on some great sessions. Some of my favourites that haven't been mentioned are

King Curtis - The new scene of King Curtis - New Jazz (OJC)

King Curtis - Soul meeting - Prestige (OJC)

Gene Ammons - Goodbye - Prestige (OJC)

Gene Ammons - And friends at Montreux - Prestige (OJC)

Don wilkerson - The Texas twister - Riverside (OJC)

James Clay - A double dose of soul - Riverside (OJC)

Bennie Green & Gene Ammons - The swingin'est - VeeJay

I am SO glad you didn't post this BEFORE the J&R OJC sale this past weekend! :g

...... I love the SOUND of Nat's cornet....

So, to me, Nat is really on a par with Blue Mitchell because, in their different ways, they both made beautiful sounds on their instruments; lovelier than any other trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn players.

MG

Couldn't agree more! Slightly off-topic, I've always felt Blue Mitchell's best dates as a leader came on Riverside.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am SO glad you didn't post this BEFORE the J&R OJC sale this past weekend! :g

Prices in the Concord sale are held until 31 January (it sed a few weeks ago) - and you can still use the code mentioned in the Concord sale thread, to get yourself another 10% off.

It's just the one free from ten offer that's gone. But still a good deal, I'd say. I'll be sending in another order just before the end of the month.

MG

never heard of Sonny Cox... but taking the info from this thread that he is the same person as the basketbal Snny Cox

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...mp;#entry341737

funny to see him (still?) discussed on basketball boards...

http://blogs.suntimes.com/preps/2007/07/ma...inois_it_g.html

like this post:

Coach Cox benefitted from a Chicago Public League climate that was lawless. His teams until the early 1990’s were All-Star teams by virtue of his outright recruitment of the city’s best players. Efrem Winters (Illinois), Marcus Liberty (Illinois, Denver Nuggets/Detroit Pistons), Levertis “Levertical” Robinson (Cincinnati), Jamie Brandon (LSU), Rashard Griffith (Wisconsin), Thomas Hamilton, Michael Hermon (Indiana) and Leon Smith (Atlanta Hawks/Seattle Supersonics) all played for the Pimp of the Public League. It was this kind of stratospheric talent that enabled Cox to steal three state titles (1986, 1990, 1993) despite having a coaching IQ in the single digits. The fact that Cox has a trio of state titles is a crime. Fortunately, when the Public League began to enforce even a modicum of rules, Cox’s fortunes plummeted and he disappeared.

there was one sideman date where Nat Adderley really stood out that i listened to recently... don't have it here to check but iirc it was Don Wilkerson's Texas Twister... get that one while you can still get it at least at a half-decent price!

The REAL Sonny Cox was the alto player with a sixties Chicago organ band called The Three Souls. Made two LPs for Cadet under that name and one under Cox's name (augmented band). Cox sounds rather like a chicken being strangled at times.

MG

see that organissimo thread i've quoted... if Larry Kart says the're the same person...

Zowie! I didn't read the thread until you instructed me to. Yes, if Larry says they're the same person, and they both had the same first name, Landon.

Anyway, I don't agree with whoever it was on the other thread who said Cox was a Hank Crawford clone. I've never heard an alto player who sounded LESS like Crawford than Cox.

MG

It's just the one free from ten offer that's gone. But still a good deal, I'd say. I'll be sending in another order just before the end of the month.

Actually, the 'Buy 10, Get 1 Free' sale is still in effect. I didn't see it advertised on their website, but if you put 10 albums in your cart, you'll see that one is listed as being free.

(Might I add that several of these Nat titles are no longer available through the Concord site - which means they're about to be gone, gone, gone... They're still available through various resellers at reasonable prices - with the exception of 'In The Bag' - good luck with that one!)

Edited by street singer

Actually, the 'Buy 10, Get 1 Free' sale is still in effect. I didn't see it advertised on their website, but if you put 10 albums in your cart, you'll see that one is listed as being free.

(Might I add that several of these Nat titles are no longer available through the Concord site - which means they're about to be gone, gone, gone... They're still available through various resellers at reasonable prices - with the exception of 'In The Bag' - good luck with that one!)

I didn't the other week.

MG

Just been listening to him on the Roulette Woody Herman Sextet 'At The Roundtable' LP. Now this one just has to be the most unlikely Nat Adderley session. Pretty much a straight-ahead swing date. Wonder how he ende up working with Woody at this time? (around 1959).

BIG thumbs up for the Pablo double he recorded with JJ Johnson - 'Yokohama Concert'. These two make a great team and Adderley is in his usual fiery mood throughout. Superbly recorded too !

Nat was on the road with Woody Herman. It was one of his first big time gigs (Nat went to NY before Cannonball....)

Nat was a wonderful player. I had the good fortune to meet him and hang a bit toward the end of his life. Great trumpet player.

bigtiny

Landon "Sonny" Cox's reputation may well be earned, but he came by my house once (we were recruiting one of his players, but that's another story) and he couldn't have been nicer. Or more interesting. I was pulling out records for him to listen to all afternoon, think I finally had to cook up some excuse to get rid of him. He had "big ears" but was particularly high on Joe henderson and Davis/Griffin's Minton's stuff.

Thanks MG for pulling up this thread. You'd think I would know better for making such a statement. Interesting to read that many folks here speak highly of Nat's "Work Song". For some reason in the past, it didn't make a big impression on me. It may now be a time to revisit that recording and see if my feelings change? I guess I've been guilty of comparing him to other favs such as Blue, Morgan and Hubbard. Realistically those aren't fair comparisons. There styles are different. To be honest Kenny Dorham never made a big impression on me until recently when I finally "got him". Now I really enjoy just about everything Kenny put out. It's great to see all these recommendations. I'll have to make note of some of these. As for making any further purchases through Concord, I've spent enough money on there recent sale. I've really got to chill for awhile.

yoyoyo..just trying to help. sorry. not that i am saying that is a bad album. just maybe others wouldn't like it.

but you are correct that nat adderley's career went long after that one.

i guess i share your confusion, MG.

by the way, and sorry if this was posted earlier in this thread, but on that new york public library site someone (rooster ties?) gave a link to, there is a very very long and interesting nat adderley interview video. i believe it was jimmy owens who was asking the questions.

the art taylor interview by warren smith is also excellent. taylor comes off as arrogant, a bit racially prejudiced, a bit paranoid but overall a cool guy.

hey, could you direct me to the thread these interviews were linked in? or just post the links here? I must have missed that, and google was of no help... sounds like worth reading!

as for Nat, in all the various Concord sales, I got a few more of his albums (I had "Work Song" and the 1955 Savoy one before, also the Cannon 1956 EmArcy package with Junior Mance - one of those was under Nat's leadership, I think... and of course the VME "Introducing" album) - to make it short: the brass one is fun, the saxes one ("That's Right") is fine, but the one that I really love is "Branching Out", a funky quintet album with Johnny Griffin at the top of his game!

58729.jpg

(the rest of the band is as the cover states, the 3 Sounds, and for once they're not just there and ok to the point of not bothering me, but they really hit a groove behind Nat and the little giant!)

but the one that I really love is "Branching Out", a funky quintet album with Johnny Griffin at the top of his game!

58729.jpg

(the rest of the band is as the cover states, the 3 Sounds, and for once they're not just there and ok to the point of not bothering me, but they really hit a groove behind Nat and the little giant!)

Them's fightin' words, Ubu! The Sounds never failed to hit a groove and the implication that they could "bother" anyone just makes me so mad I could spit!

Your mileage may, and indeed is allowed to, vary.

:g

Edited by Dan Gould

Nat was a solid journeyman trumpet/cornet player. A recording of his that I have long enjoyed is NATURALLY on Jazzland. This quartet recording has Nat playing with two different rhythm sections. Half the tracks have Nat with Joe Zawinul, Sam Jones, and Louis Hayes - the Cannonball rhythm section. The other tracks have Wynton Kelly, Paul Chamber, and Philly Joe Jones.

I can't agree with some of the posts that put Nat on the same level as players such as Art Farmer, Blue Mitchell or Thad Jones. To my ears, those three were clearly superior jazz players to Nat.

Nat was a solid journeyman trumpet/cornet player. A recording of his that I have long enjoyed is NATURALLY on Jazzland. This quartet recording has Nat playing with two different rhythm sections. Half the tracks have Nat with Joe Zawinul, Sam Jones, and Louis Hayes - the Cannonball rhythm section. The other tracks have Wynton Kelly, Paul Chamber, and Philly Joe Jones.

I can't agree with some of the posts that put Nat on the same level as players such as Art Farmer, Blue Mitchell or Thad Jones. To my ears, those three were clearly superior jazz players to Nat.

I agree, though I usually enjoy his playing, some ruotine now and then, above the average anyway.

Overall I like more Carmell Jones.

Edited by porcy62

You may be misreading some of the earlier posts. MG and I were comparing Nat to those artists from the point of view of doing a lot with the beauty of tone from their instruments. That is not to say that he is at the same level as they are.