Herbie's Headhunters in Quad

Never known why should one search for a quad Lp, when he can have a stereo or a mono pressing. I presume that, since quad gears didn't exist anymore, the best sound comes from a stereo or a mono mix. The only thing that comes to mind is that you're a completist. My original US pressing sounds gorgeous. No offense. I am just curious.

BTW wich is the difference between a stereo and quad pressing?

Edited by porcy62

Apparently, quad styli are still being manufactured, and there is a loyal group of quad enthusiasts. There are also people who collect 8 tracks, and I don't get that either, though I have a few. :D

That being said, some quad mixes are radically different, especially for albums that had lots of production and effects. For example, the quad mix of Pink Floyd's DSOTM is supposedly very different. There are completists who collect these for the differences, just as there are people who want to own a particular album in both stereo and mono. I'm just curious about how "Headhunters" sounds.

BTW, I still haven't completely embraced stereo, and prefer most albums in mono.

Apparently, quad styli are still being manufactured, and there is a loyal group of quad enthusiasts. There are also people who collect 8 tracks, and I don't get that either, though I have a few. :D

That being said, some quad mixes are radically different, especially for albums that had lots of production and effects. For example, the quad mix of Pink Floyd's DSOTM is supposedly very different. There are completists who collect these for the differences, just as there are people who want to own a particular album in both stereo and mono. I'm just curious about how "Headhunters" sounds.

BTW, I still haven't completely embraced stereo, and prefer most albums in mono.

Never thought that someone could produce quad styli in these days.

I am not a completist, so usually I go for mono with pre 1966/7 records and for stereo with the later.

I am too lazy to compare mono and stereo mix. I have both mix of some records, and I buy a different mix if the one I have is not a mint copy or if I am not satisfied with the sound. Often the problem is that the recording or the sound engineer at mixer were bad. So the results is that often I have a mono and a stereo mix and they both suck!

Edited by porcy62

...I am not a completist, so usually I go for mono with pre 1966/7 records and for stereo with the later.

I am too lazy to compare mono and stereo mix. I have both of some records, and I buy a different mix if the one I have is not a mint copy.

I don't have the time to compare either, but usually with rock/pop records, the mono differences are readily apparent, as they usually sound louder and punchier.

I don't have the time to compare either, but usually with rock/pop records, the mono differences are readily apparent, as they usually sound louder and punchier.

Usually it is, but sometimes you're loosing the 'nuaces' of the stereo mix, and the soundstage is definitely bigger.

I'll have to give a listen to the multi-channel SACD tonight to see if it's a quad mix. I didn't know that this was released on a quad LP. I thought this SACD was a new mix.

Kevin

The SACD has the "Stereo Multi-ch" logo on the package. Maybe this is the quad mix? Unfortunately I can't check myself since I've dismantled my surround set up.

Never known why should one search for a quad Lp, when he can have a stereo or a mono pressing. I presume that, since quad gears didn't exist anymore, the best sound comes from a stereo or a mono mix. The only thing that comes to mind is that you're a completist. My original US pressing sounds gorgeous. No offense. I am just curious.

Some quad LPs had very different content. For example, Jefferson Airplane's "Volunteers" had different takes for several songs used on the quad version, which were so different from the ones used on the stereo version that it sounds like a different album.

Some quad LPs had very different content. For example, Jefferson Airplane's "Volunteers" had different takes for several songs used on the quad version, which were so different from the ones used on the stereo version that it sounds like a different album.

But I presume you should have a quad stylus in order to appreciate the full thing. Please say: YES.

Otherwise I will start to spend money even on quad LPs. :crazy:

The SACD is wild! :)

Not a pure quad mix, becuase there's some center channel content, but it does sound like ambient echo, so it might be derived from the quad. But, there is also a subwoofer channel, as my sub is pumpin' now.

This is so cool. I forgot how fun this SACD is. My living room sounds alive right now. Up until now, I've pretty much stuck with the stereo sector of this SACD because the multi-channel is so different I didn't really dig it. But as I sit here, hearing all of this sound swirling around, it's pretty cool.

When I stand in the middle of the 5.1 mix, Maupin's echo-effects are whacked. That's probably why I stuck with the stereo mix. But when I sit here on the edge of the living room and the "surround" sound is in front of me, each instrument has way more difinition and the room echo makes Maupin's sax sound like it does in stereo.

I always lament that Greg pissed off so many people to the point where they threw SACD off of their plate. This stuff is great.

Time to go switch back to stereo and reall rock the walls (can you all tell that the wife isn't home?).

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

This thing is floating around (I have not heard it):

( DTS ) Herbie Hancock - Headhunters 5.1 Surround from SQ Quad LP

THIS IS DTS AUDIO SAVED AS A NERO IMAGE FILE! ONLY PLAYS BACK ON DTS EQUIPMENT!

Tracks:

1 - Chameleon

2 - Watermelon Man

3 - Sly

4 - Vein Melter

-----------------------

5 - Chameleon ('83 dance remix b-side Autodrive 12" ) THIS TRACK IS NON QUAD, BUT IS 5.1 MIX

Release Date 1973

Columbia Quadraphonic SQ 32731

This is my first SQ quad mix. SQ differs from cd-4 (quadradisc) as itis not a true quad mix, but more of a pingpong effect of the fourchannels.

The sound is still better than the original stereo release. There an SACD surround mix version of this, but it is most likely different.

This conversion does have a few low frequency rumbles. These were mainly caused by removal of surface noise. Overall a good sound and conversion.

I have two more quad lps by Herbie Hancock in the works.

Equipment used:

*JVC linear turntable

*Sanyo 4 Channel Decoder - Amplifier

*M-Audio Delta 66 Professional 6-In/6-Out Audio sound card

*Adobe Audition 1.5

*SurCode CD Pro DTS

*Nero Burning Rom

Professionally cleaned vinyl lp treated with LAST Record Preservative.

32 bit recording

But I presume you should have a quad stylus in order to appreciate the full thing. Please say: YES.

Otherwise I will start to spend money even on quad LPs. :crazy:

When you play a stereo LP back in mono, it can either improve it, make no appreciable difference, or ruin the sound entirely. I imagine the same thing could occur playing a quad LP in stereo - or mono, for that matter.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

They were called "discrete quad", SQ and QS.

No wonder I only thought there were two: I never picked up on the difference between SQ and QS.

Kind of like the "Star Trek" episode with the two aliens who were at war with each other. They were both half black (literally) and half white (literally), with the dividing line straight down the middle. Kirk couldn't figure out why they were at war. But they were mirror images of each other, like SQ and QS.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Anyway I presume that there aren't so many quad releases out there. How many years lasted quad systems?

Just had a look at wikipedia: 'quadraphonic', oddly stuff

Here's alink to quad discography http://members.cox.net/surround/quaddisc/quadindx.htm

Wow I just checked this to confirm that there was a quad "Svengali" and discovered that there were also quad releases of "Gil Evans Plays Jimi Hendrix" and Ellington's New Orleans Suite.

i do remember seeing a quad lp of i sing the body electric, but i have never actually listned to a quad fusion lp- although i bet they are AMAZING. i have a quad 8 track tape setup although i only am fit for stereo right now, speaker wise- if im really in the mood some day all hook up the backs and pop in the quad dark side- which yes, is quite different, in places