Lew Tabackin

(BB)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Lew in a Toronto jazz club some years ago. He was playing with a very good Toronto rhythm section that included Mark Eisenman on piano, Steve Wallace on bass, and John Sumner on drums.

Lew played his ass off. It would be difficult to identify a tenor man who plays with more intensity. A true swinger!

My only "complaint" was that he seems to like very very lengthy solo codas. 

New England colleagues , do you want to meet at the Side Door on Friday or Saturday in late May?

May 2022
May 6 Lew Tabackin Trio New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
New Orleans, LA
May 27 - 28 Lew Tabackin Trio The Side Door
85 Lyme Street
Old Lyme, CT
June 2022
June 17 Lew Tabackin Trio Rochester International Jazz Festival
Rochester, NY
July 2022
July 31 Lew Tabackin Trio Newport Jazz Festival
Newport, RI
Edited by Dmitry

On 1/27/2022 at 11:27 AM, relyles said:

The Side Door is one of my favorite venues. I am always up for a hang.

The Side Door is one of my favorites also. The whole concept of the jazz inn appeals to me. We did this in November 2018 with my wife, and another couple, for my friend's birthday: had dinner at their excellent restaurant, went to the show [Javon Jackson quartet], and stayed overnight. We might do this for the Tabackin show. 

6 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

The Side Door is one of my favorites also. The whole concept of the jazz inn appeals to me. We did this in November 2018 with my wife, and another couple, for my friend's birthday: had dinner at their excellent restaurant, went to the show [Javon Jackson quartet], and stayed overnight. We might do this for the Tabackin show. 

The Side Door is an Inn too? Maybe that is something my wife might be up for. Are there any art museums nearby that we could check out the next day before heading back to Maine? We do love art museums.

10 minutes ago, bresna said:

The Side Door is an Inn too? Maybe that is something my wife might be up for. Are there any art museums nearby that we could check out the next day before heading back to Maine? We do love art museums.

Kevin, the rooms are phenomenal. I really wasn't expecting that. It's a centuries-year old structure that they transformed into a 4-star establishment. I think there might be just 6 or 8 rooms all-together. The band members stayed in the inn, so we get to hang out with them for breakfast the next morning.

Museums there...the first one that comes to mind is the Florence Griswold Museum, one of the best collections of American impressionist and post-impressionist artists in the world. If you are driving back through Providence, the RISD Museum is a hidden gem. 

On 1/19/2007 at 5:32 PM, Clunky said:

I like Tenor Gladness with Warne Marsh despite what Chamberlain has to say about the date.

Right. I read what Chamberlain had to say and being an admirer of Warne's playing I was a little hesitant about going to hear him at a local concert with just bass and drums. I didn't need to worry - he and the group were on fire! Great musician!