John Coltrane - Gold

felser

For the friend or relative you want to introduce to jazz, Universal has put out a 2CD set entitled John Coltrane - Gold, and has done an amazing job in the track selection. In addition, those sets have crisp remastering, nice notes, and a very low price. Would make a nice gift for someone, or good set to play when company is around.

http://www.yourmusic.com/browse/album/John...name=BROWSE_NEW

After Gold, you can direct your friend to this excellent recap of the Impulse years. It is from 1992, probably out of print, but I would guess can be easily found. Three full CDs.

I bought this new in 1992 and was pretty much an Atlantic/Prestige/Love Supreme-only Trane fan at the time. This was a wonderful awakening for me and I still pull it out from time to time. Does not hit Japan, Seatle or Ascention, but does have several late-period nuggets, including Offering :wub:

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.asp...st&pid=9449

Do you really want to introduce someone to post-65 Coltrane? :g

Hell yeah. Cut to the chase, shortest distance between two points and all that. Life's too short to think you have one kind of friendship only to find out that you don't. :g

Post-65 'Trane falls in the category of "music that's played only when the wife isn't home." Bless her because it's a relatively short list, but hey, even after all these years of marriage I still like sex as much as the next guy. :lol:

Post-65 'Trane falls in the category of "music that's played only when the wife isn't home." Bless her because it's a relatively short list, but hey, even after all these years of marriage I still like sex as much as the next guy. :lol:

Must have a "different" wife here. She's been hearing this stuff for 40+ years and adds comments when I play material like this.

Sex, Interstellar Space and Spiritual Unity are not strangers. :)