charlie parker bootleg tape - chewy freaking out

donald byrd 4 EVA

i am on the phone with a completely psychotic chewy, who is rambling in a incoherent and manic way about the session info for the following records: Charlie Parker live sessions on phoenix records -PHX-322

"on the tape it says Phoenix 10. The songs listed are the following: 'Round midnight 5:04, Move 4:48, Hothouse 4:11, (Side B) How High the Moon 2:46, Street Beat 6:59, Out of Nowhere 3:15, KoKo 2:49"

I made a unsuccessful attempt to help chewy by looking up the miles ahead charlie parker database, but it was no go and chewy was having ADHD because the record store was closing. Please someone him so i dont have to deal with him. hes going totally mental because he saw a hot girl at work and had a wet dream about shorty rogers

here ya go scott .... unearthed by others from the BNBB

Topic: ME AND MY FRIEND MATT JUST TALKED TO LOU DONALDSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ariceffron

Member # 701

posted April 10, 2001 03:44 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me and my friend Matt just called Lou Donaldson's house, and we talked to him for like 5 minutes. Oh my god I am so ****ed up right now. I asked him what he was givin' the guy on the cover of HERE 'TIS, and he said it was a sandwich. I allways thought it was a buck or somethin' Yeah. I just talked to Lou Donaldson. Oh my god. My life is truly complete. I cannot belive it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 1834 | From: From San Diego, CA; Stuck in Tacoma, WA | Registered: Feb 2000 | IP: Logged

BFrank

Member # 1089

posted April 10, 2001 05:20 PM

... and I'm sure Lou feels the same way

Posts: 3133 | From: SF | Registered: Sep 2000 | IP: Logged

JSngry

Member # 1611

posted April 10, 2001 06:58 PM

You should have asked Lou what he thinks about Wayne Shorter.

Posts: 10310 | From: tx, usa | Registered: Mar 2001 | IP: Logged

soulstation1

Member # 1047

posted April 10, 2001 07:06 PM

i'm sure that made lou's day, did you give him your number?

ss1

Posts: 2322 | From: tucson,az | Registered: Aug 2000 | IP: Logged

JSngry

Member # 1611

posted April 10, 2001 07:47 PM

HEY ARIC-

(geezer story alert)When I was about your age, Red Garland used to play around Dallas. One night I worked up the nerve to sit-in with him. He came up to me afterwards, rapped, and offered positive comments and encouragement. We shared a smoke and a taste in the parking lot. I know EXACTLY how you feel, dude, EXACTLY!

Posts: 10310 | From: tx, usa | Registered: Mar 2001 | IP: Logged

Joe Christmas

Member # 119

posted April 10, 2001 07:47 PM

Right on Aric. That must have been exciting for all three of you. What did he say?

Wait, I can hear the conversation now...

MATT and ARIC sharing the same phone line: Dude! Hellyeah! We got his number!

(RING)

ARIC: Okay now, shhhh.

(RING)

ELDERLY WOMAN: Donaldson residence.

ARIC: Yes, uhm, is Lou there?

ELDERLY WOMAN: With whom am I speaking?

ARIC: Oh. Jeez. It's.....Hank?

ELDERLY WOMAN: Hold on please.

(silence as she puts the phone down)

MATT: Hank?? HELLYEAH!!! You're the man, Aric.

ARIC: I know. Shut up, Matt. He might hear us.

MATT: Sorry.

LOU: ahem. Mmmhello?

ARIC: Lou?

LOU: Yes?

MATT and ARIC in unison: HELLYEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

LOU: Who is this?

ARIC: Well Lou, my name is Aric and I love Blue Note and you're the man and I have your number and I thought I'd call and tell you how great that you are.

MATT: Hellyeah.

LOU: Who's that there?

MATT: I'm Matt. I'm in the other room.

LOU: Oh. Well, thank you young man. What can I do for you?

ARIC: Remember in 1954 when you came charging in with that kickass line after Horace did that vamp and then ya'll returned to the head and you just wailed?

LOU: I think so. Yes.

ARIC: That rocked.

MATT: Hellyeah!!!!!!!!!!

ARIC: Hellyeah.

LOU: Well, thank you Aric. So you a jazz fan, huh?

ARIC: Sheeit. Oh my god you just don't know, Lou. I am so ****ed up right now and you're on the phone and this is the coolest thing in Holy **** I'm ****ing talking to Lou ***ing Donaldson **** ******* ***!!!!!

LOU: Okay.

MATT: You're the bomb Mr. Donaldson.

LOU: Usually my fans write or say hello to me in person.

ARIC: Can we come see you?

LOU: No.

ARIC: I understand. You're probably busy as all hell, huh sir?

LOU: Yes.

ARIC: So that cover for HERE 'TIS is phat. Could you tell me what it is that you're giving that guy on the cover? Is it a buck or somethin'?

LOU: No. It's a sammich.

MATT: A sandwich?

LOU: Yes.

ARIC: He said sammich!! How dope is that? Hellyeah. I play organ and I know some of your tunes from your funky period.

LOU: Well thank you. Say, I need to split. My oven roast is ready. The hot rolls too.

ARIC: Gravy Train.

LOU: Gravy Train.

MATT: Hellyeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARIC: Can we call you again, Lou?

LOU: Anytime. This was a nice conversation.

ARIC: Right on. You rock.

MATT: Yeah.

LOU: Ok now. Thanks for the cheer. God bless you.

ARIC: Bye Lou.

MATT: Bye Mr. Donaldson.

LOU: Goodbye now.

(click)

MATT and ARIC in unison: Holy ****ing **** ******* ************* **** ***!!!!

ARIC: That was soooooo phat.

MATT: Today was a good day.

ARIC: Yeah.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

please people. i am not chewy and i am not matt, although i know both of them. i am my own person, with my own opinions, however i do agree with the chewbacca that ecm is a lame pretentious label that promotes keith jarrett way too much. he cant hold a candle to duke pearson. word. and i like alberto ayler. and big john patton. and earthless a great san diego rock band.

i am my own person, with my own opinions, however i do agree with the chewbacca that ecm is a lame pretentious label that promotes keith jarrett way too much. he cant hold a candle to duke pearson. word.

Oh really?

:cool:

Hold a candle in terms of what with Duke Pearson and why him? not Sonny Clark, Bobby Timmons, Wynton Kelly, Cedar Walton, McCoyTyner.

I think maybe if you looked into the history of ECM records you would probably learn a little more as it has always been a whole deal more than just a Jarrett Productions inc....they always have been and hopefully always will. Jarrett sells well I guess so they market it. Get used to it. Blue Note sold lots of Jimmy Smith and The Sidewinder and never marketed the likes of Tina Brooks or Herbie Nichols but what a wonderful label that still was.

Read more.Listen more. It always gets better

Maybe start by listening to more piano players...and oh by the way I also love Duke Pearson records and Keith Jarret records...got all of em both more or less :w