Louis Armstrong, Hot Fives and Hot Sevens box

You can't really go wrong with either. I ultimately prefer the Sony box, and feel it's not really overpriced. . . . The sound is crisper and clearer to me, but others feel differently.

There are individual Sony cds of the material. None of the new versions are available on yourmusic.

The music should be enjoyed.

You can't really go wrong with either. I ultimately prefer the Sony box, and feel it's not really overpriced. . . . The sound is crisper and clearer to me, but others feel differently.

There are individual Sony cds of the material. None of the new versions are available on yourmusic.

The music should be enjoyed.

I agree with Lon.

I am planning to pick up a box of this material and was wondering which one to pick up. I've heard really good stuff about the JSP set and am guessing that the Sony box is overpriced. Is the Sony box available on yourmusic?

Guy

I was in your same situation a couple months back and ended up choosing the Sony over the JSP set. I don't know if you care about the material being at the original pitch but I noticed some the JSP sample tracks on websites were out of tune but all of the sony material has been adjusted to the intended pitch. Also, the packaging is really beautiful on the sony set.

Sony reissued this set in August (see this thread) and changed the packaging a bit I believe. I purchased the newer set and have no complaints with it but I remember reading some amazon reviews of the older set that people were having problems with the glue getting on the discs or something. If you sign up for google checkout (google's answer to paypal) before Feb. 15th you can get $10 off your purchase at CD universe so it would be about $25 plus shipping. Here's the link for google checkout. The google thing also works at buy.com. Anyway, I think that price is about as cheap as the JSP.

I would get certain of the old Columbia LPs, which sounds best - I got rid of he Sony box when I llistened to Weatherbird, which has CEDAR distortion ( heard as a sort of gutteral croak, like someone claring their throat) right at the beginning - inexcusable -

also, take a look at some of the pictures on the Sony box, which have also clearly been digitally restored and look ridiculous, overly-sharp and too much detail -

digital madness - someone ought to be prosecuted for this stuff -

Edited by AllenLowe

I have not purchased any of the Hot Five and Seven sides since they came out on the Masters of Jazz series!

Will be waiting for the next installment of the 'Intégrale Louis Armstrong' from Frémeaux & Associés. Volume 2 came out recently and the mastering is excellent. Volume 3 should be out very soon and will tackle the electric recording sides from Pops.

FA1353_recto.jpg

Volume 3 will have the Hot Fives. The Hot Sevens should be on volume 4!

Each volume has 3 CDs!

Frémeaux recently completed their Intégrale Django Reinhardt series (volumes 1 to 20)! Fantastic job!

I have not purchased any of the Hot Five and Seven sides since they came out on the Masters of Jazz series!

Will be waiting for the next installment of the 'Intégrale Louis Armstrong' from Frémeaux & Associés. Volume 2 came out recently and the mastering is excellent. Volume 3 should be out very soon and will tackle the electric recording sides from Pops.

FA1353_recto.jpg

Each volume has 3 CDs!

Frémeaux recently completed their Intégrale Django Reinhardt series (volumes 1 to 20)! Fantastic job!

Who mastered the Masters of Jazz series and the current Frémaux CDs?

Who mastered the Masters of Jazz series and the current Frémaux CDs?

The mastering of the MojJ Armstrong was done by various people including François Terrazoni, Charles Eddi, Studio Resonance, Christophe Henaut. It went up to vol. 8 (February 1926).

Daniel Nevers who is in charge of the Intégrale Armstrong for Frémeaux was in charge of the Armstrong MofJ CDs.

Only indication on transfers and mastering that I can find is: Pareles - Frémeaux & Associés.

John R.T. Davies is among the people getting acknowledgements in a credit at the end of the liner notes.

FA1353_recto.jpg

Each volume has 3 CDs!

I have the JSP set , so let me get this straight these new volumes have 3 cd's each . So the JSP and

Sony box are not complete ?

I have the JSP set , so let me get this straight these new volumes have 3 cd's each . So the JSP and

Sony box are not complete ?

The Frémeaux sets have everything (with very few exceptions) that Armstrong recorded. With King Oliver, Fletcher Henderson, Clarence Williams, Bessie Smith and other singers.

The JSP and Sony box did not have these!

• 4 years later...