Woman tired of tailgaters

I'm gonna pipe in and say that I don't think the drivers in L.A./So Cal are all that bad. Sure, there can often be a lot of traffic (though i encounter little of it on my commute), but in traffic everyone drives slowly. I've encountered far worse drivers in other parts of the country. And our friends from European cities must be laughing their asses of at our complaints - I've never seen such "bad" drivers as in Paris, Brussels, or parts of Germany. :lol:

"Bad" drivers? Maybe in US you created automotive industry with T-Ford, but we created the fastest cars, and about "bad" drivers, this was one of your guys...maybe a little north eastern then So Cal :g

171-79-ferrari-gilles-villeneuve-postcard.jpg

SBGTOa.sized.jpg

Edited by porcy62

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna pipe in and say that I don't think the drivers in L.A./So Cal are all that bad. Sure, there can often be a lot of traffic (though i encounter little of it on my commute), but in traffic everyone drives slowly. I've encountered far worse drivers in other parts of the country. And our friends from European cities must be laughing their asses of at our complaints - I've never seen such "bad" drivers as in Paris, Brussels, or parts of Germany. :lol:

"Bad" drivers? Maybe in US you created automotive industry with T-Ford, but we created the fastest cars, and about "bad" drivers, this was one of your guys...maybe a little north eastern then So Cal :g

Porcy,

Thanks for posting those pics! Gilles was one of the greatest drivers of all time... that man had "speed" written all over him! He embodied all that was pure about racing... I don't think anyone had greater raw speed than him (not Senna, not Fangio, and sure as hell not any of the British drivers that F1 Racing magazine gushes over in each issue).

F1 season starts next week... I think it might be time to start a new thread!

Cheers,

Shane

Ray doesn't have to cross over onto the Hollywood side, he works in Universal City. :P

Just kidding, Ray's right. My parents said the chaotic driving in Italy made them fearful for their lives, like nothing we ever see this side of the pond.

Ray doesn't have to cross over onto the Hollywood side, he works in Universal City. :P

Just kidding, Ray's right. My parents said the chaotic driving in Italy made them fearful for their lives, like nothing we ever see this side of the pond.

Yeah, I have a leisurely commute through Griffith Park! :g

But send me to the West Side and I'll be cursing up a storm! :crazy:

Any of y'all ever driven in West Africa? Now that's where you really put your life in the hands of others, including in particular, the mechanics who can't mech. But everyone drives really politely. That is, when they do something for which an American driver would give them the finger - or perhaps get out of the car and try to kill them - they apologise with such friendly geniality that there's never any road rage. I've even seen offended parties help the bad driver get going again.

Now THAT'S civilisation!

MG

Any of y'all ever driven in West Africa? Now that's where you really put your life in the hands of others, including in particular, the mechanics who can't mech. But everyone drives really politely. That is, when they do something for which an American driver would give them the finger - or perhaps get out of the car and try to kill them - they apologise with such friendly geniality that there's never any road rage. I've even seen offended parties help the bad driver get going again.

Now THAT'S civilisation!

MG

... unlike the centre of Rio, where even the taxi drivers go through red lights as a matter of course (as I found out first hand).

Almost as bad as the driving over here !

Porcy, Gilles was a Canadian from Quebec. Don't blame us for him! :D

I said a little north eastern... few ours of driving at Gilles' average speed :D

Seriously when he and Didier Pironi were at Ferrari' team, they both live in Montecarlo. Often, when they had to do some drive tests in Maranello, they runned their private GP between Montecarlo and Maranello on italian highways, they both drived Ferrari, obviously.

Porcy,

Thanks for posting those pics! Gilles was one of the greatest drivers of all time... that man had "speed" written all over him! He embodied all that was pure about racing... I don't think anyone had greater raw speed than him (not Senna, not Fangio, and sure as hell not any of the British drivers that F1 Racing magazine gushes over in each issue).

F1 season starts next week... I think it might be time to start a new thread!

Cheers,

Shane

Agree about Gilles, I quitted to watch F1 Racing after his death. Though Ayrton had "speed" too.

I am a motorbiker so I watch closely MotoGP, and the great Doctor Valentino Rossi, Superbike is fun too.

I realize you all think I am in fact one of those asshole aggressive drivers, and I don't give a shit if you do. Twenty five years as a licensed driver, and I have never had an accident or a moving violation - ever. I must be doing something right. Just because I am on a mission from God to point out the errors of the ways of the true assholes doesn't make me one too.

Get out there on a motorcycle for a week, and I guarantee you'll be cured...

I realize you all think I am in fact one of those asshole aggressive drivers, and I don't give a shit if you do. Twenty five years as a licensed driver, and I have never had an accident or a moving violation - ever. I must be doing something right. Just because I am on a mission from God to point out the errors of the ways of the true assholes doesn't make me one too.

Get out there on a motorcycle for a week, and I guarantee you'll be cured...

A] Cured of what and

B] Motorcyclists deserve the least amount of respect/lattitude of all the assholes who drive in south Florida. I don't know about your neck of the woods, Moose, but here they weave through stalled traffic, driving between lanes, and heaven help you if you are driving when a group of them hit I-95 to see if they can make it to Miami in 15 minutes or less in their racing bikes.

All motorcycles should be banned as means of transportation on public roads.

Something tells me you wouldn't last long in a foreign country.

Something tells me he wouldn't last too long anywhere if his talk was anything like his online writing... :lol:

I hear he killed a man in Reno just see him die.

Since I am a motorbiker and motorcycles are my religion, after I quitted catholic church, I friendly invite you to respect my religious believes and to avoid travelling in Europe, expecially in Rome. I am a good guy, but I don't know how my friends of the Holy Church of The Blessed Piston Rod could react at your observation. :g

Since I am a motorbiker and motorcycles are my religion, after I quitted catholic church, I friendly invite you to respect my religious believes and to avoid travelling in Europe, expecially in Rome. I am a good guy, but I don't know how my friends of the Holy Church of The Blessed Piston Rod could react at your observation. :g

Do you zig zag in between cars and make lanes where none exist?

Do you attempt to cover 50 miles in 15 minutes?

If you do, you do not belong on public roads. With all due respect to your religous beliefs.

Do you zig zag in between cars and make lanes where none exist?

Do you attempt to cover 50 miles in 15 minutes?

If you do, you do not belong on public roads. With all due respect to your religous beliefs.

I mean I use the motorbike in the city precisely to avoid traffic jam, my behavior may include a legitimate and cautious zig zag between cars and lanes as far I can do it respecting the road laws, otherwise I would buy an old Sherman Tank or would use public transports.

About the speed I don't know, if you respect the speed limit what's wrong with motorbikers?

I forecast that our discussion will come to the same happy end of EASY RIDER. :cool:

I mean I use the motorbike in the city precisely to avoid traffic jam, my behavior may include a legitimate and cautious zig zag between cars and lanes as far I can do it respecting the road laws, otherwise I would buy an old Sherman Tank or would use public transports.

About the speed I don't know, if you respect the speed limit what's wrong with motorbikers?

Here in south Florida, motorbikers do not respect the speed limit, which is why I mentioned 50 miles in 15 minutes. That's 200 mph, which isn't far off what they drive. They also do not use caution in zig zagging between cars, beyond the fact that doing so violates the law.

Here in south Florida, motorbikers do not respect the speed limit, which is why I mentioned 50 miles in 15 minutes. That's 200 mph, which isn't far off what they drive. They also do not use caution in zig zagging between cars, beyond the fact that doing so violates the law.

But I presume that a lot of car drivers act in the very same way.

Strangely in Italy, the most dangerous and idiot people drives big SUV, a means of transporting totally useless and overdimensioned for italian roads and climate condition.

But I presume that a lot of car drivers act in the very same way.

Strangely in Italy, the most dangerous and idiot people drives big SUV, a means of transporting totally useless and overdimensioned for italian roads and climate condition.

No, car drivers don't drive 125 mph - motorcyclists do.

Car drivers don't weave in and out of stalled traffic because they can't. Motorcyclists can and do. The worst thing car drivers do is shoot down the breakdown lane to get around traffic jams, and that is pretty bad.

SUV drivers are among the worst here also.

No, car drivers don't drive 125 mph - motorcyclists do.

In Italy they do.

Car drivers don't weave in and out of stalled traffic because they can't.

I didn't think about it, actually they can't

The worst thing car drivers do is shoot down the breakdown lane to get around traffic jams, and that is pretty bad.

Same in Italy, but not very often.

SUV drivers are among the worst here also.

So we may agree to ban SUV from public road and left motorbikes, some sort of plea bargain ;)