George Russell

Shrdlu

Not related to the music, but Russell's The Outer View had three covers. Anyone know which was the original? I always assumed it was the OJC cover, but it might be the one with Russell in front of F.L. Wright's famous building ...

Bought this when it came out. My copy has the cover shot of Russell posing in front of an abstract painting!

The cover with the Guggenheim came after that one, as far as I can remember!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Apologies if this has already been posted in another thread, but anybody else seen the late-1950s video that Doug Ramsey linked to on Rifftides today?The Subject Is Jazz with George Russell

Wow... Ramsey's post about it and Russell here.

Thanks for posting that. What a treat to see Gene Quill, Jimmy Cleveland, George Russell among many others.

Apologies if this has already been posted in another thread, but anybody else seen the late-1950s video that Doug Ramsey linked to on Rifftides today?The Subject Is Jazz with George Russell

Wow... Ramsey's post about it and Russell here.

Quite the visual contrast between the dancing , ebullient Taylor and the impassive , cerebral Evans . Fine solos all around as you would expect from that talent at that time . Severinson is in some fast company here - just his luck that Scott rips off a hot solo right before his ! A pity that McKusick wasn't available for the show , for he , Galbraith and Farmer were so beautifully complementary .

Would that there were some way to personally thank those who thoughtfully preserved , for the enjoyment of future jazz lovers , artifacts like this .

'Outer View' original cover (Ken Deardoff designed it):

B000000YSS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_.jpg

This is the copy I have. Nice to know it's an original. I didn't know about the three covers.

Any love for the African Game album on Bluenote? I picked it up on a whim a few years ago and really like it.

For what it's worth, Jazz in the Space Age is probably my favorite album by him.

Guest Bill Barton

...Any love for the African Game album on Bluenote? I picked it up on a whim a few years ago and really like it.

For what it's worth, Jazz in the Space Age is probably my favorite album by him.

I'm a big fan of The African Game too. It got panned a few places when it first came out but I totally disagree. The man is a master.

How about the other 80s BN? I have "African Game", need to spin it again... but I skipped the other one in the same sale where I got "African Game".

Can anyone share the other covers of "Outer View"? I never saw any other than the one on the OJC!

russell.jpg

This is the one I have, and it gets under my skin...

Has anyone heard this with George Russell and Bill Evans?

51PW4S3FS7L._AA240_.jpg

That's a reissue of this Columbia album :

BrandeisJazzFestivalonColumbia.jpg

along with three bonus tracks ( making their CD debut ) featuring Evans with Don Elliot from this Verve album :

EddieCosta-MatMathews-DonElliotatNe.jpg

The Brandeis material is terrific . Bill Evans takes one of his best ever solos on All About Rosie , and Mingus' Revelations is essential listening as well . This music was out earlier on a Columbia Legacy CD combined with another excellent album called The Birth of the Third Stream :

birthrddtream.jpg

That CD had to leave off two tracks , so this Gambit reissue is the first complete issue of the Brandeis Festival music .