Earl Hines Trio GRAND REUNION (Verve 2-fer)

Big Al

Picked this up over the weekend and man oh MAN does this stuff SWING!!! Wow, whatta live disc! And what sound; this thing sounds fantastic! Hawk is in prime form here, and you'd never know he was at the end of his life! Roy Eldridge kicks tail, as usual, especially when he and Hawk get into it with each other.

Good notes, too. Love the story about how the guys laughed off Mingus after putting up with his crap all week. :g

Anyone else have this?

I don't have this, and it looks damn fine. Also looks like it's OOP, used copies are quite expensive. This reminds me that I also need to get Earl Hines solo piano twofer of Duke tunes.

Looks like you hit the mother lode Al! :g:tup

Just sent you a PM! You can't have mine, but I know where I can get one for pretty cheap (cheaper than Amazon, anyway!)

Anyone else have this?

Never saw that 2CD but I have enjoyed the music since it was released on vinyls by Limelight!

There is more music from the same reunion on the Xanadu album 'Earl Hines & Roy Eldridge at the Village Vanguard'. Marvelous improvisations too!

740.jpg

Oh yes, a great one! I found a new copy of it a year or so ago in a local store... my Hines collection is still non-existing (this one plus the two Jazz in Paris discs, the second of which is pretty mediocre), but with Eldridge and Hawkins aboard, there was no need for hesitation!

Here's the cover of the 2CD release:

B000001EG1.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

brownie, has that Xanadu been on CD (Prevue it would have been, I assume)?

Why isn't Chris participating anymore? When I joined the board a few years back he quickly welcomed me here. I haven't been a regular contributor at all (a regular reader though)......but I always appreciated his insights.

Chris left the forum some time ago, apparently because he didn't agree with the way it was being moderated or something like that.

Why isn't Chris participating anymore? When I joined the board a few years back he quickly welcomed me here. I haven't been a regular contributor at all (a regular reader though)......but I always appreciated his insights.

Chris left the forum some time ago, apparently because he didn't agree with the way it was being moderated or something like that.

That ... and other reasons!

Here is the thread discussing Chris's absence. This was the main reason I didn't acknowledge Chris as the author of the notes, because I didn't want this thread to turn into another "Where's Christiern?" thread. We're not the first forum from which he's left in a huff; give it a few weeks and the Hoffman forum won't be the last one either. <_<

Here is the thread discussing Chris's absence. This was the main reason I didn't acknowledge Chris as the author of the notes, because I didn't want this thread to turn into another "Where's Christiern?" thread. We're not the first forum from which he's left in a huff; give it a few weeks and the Hoffman forum won't be the last one either. <_<

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Al!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Al!

Not a problem, my friend! :)