horrible album covers - great music

All these covers are nowhere near as bad as MANY of the typical 70s reissue covers of a lot of fine 50s music, e.g. the entire nondescript "standard" covers of the "Jazz Lab" series on German MCA that featured reissues of 50s Coral jazz albums or some of those 80s Jazzline series reissues on French RCA .

Or is there anything worse fitting the contents of the album than 70s/80s cover shots of artists that look sooo old and sooo long-haired, bearded and tired and wear funny flower-power garb in the worst 1973 fashion style while the actual contents of the music are prime 50s or even late 40s stuff? Worse than any of the funky 70s covers of original releases shown above. ;)

A related question to those who may have been around and into record production in the 70s/early 80s: Whatever was it that kept record companies from reissuing 50s records with their ORIGNAL artwork covers (like the Japanese did early on) back in the 70s? What were they afraid of? Would a bearded, worn-out looking long-hair viking named Gerry Mulligan really promise that much more sales of his early quartet sides in those long-hair days than a repor of the original cover showing a crisp-looking young dude? :D

Has there ever been a more tragically unfitting album cover than this one?

It's so wrong in so many ways.

You must be kidding :P

Hmm...charming music decorated with a cover featuring a device designed to kill thousands of people. Just hilarious.

See, we Americans ain't all nuke-happy.

I think Claude was making a reference to his 'avatar'.

Edited by BFrank

Has there ever been a more tragically unfitting album cover than this one?

It's so wrong in so many ways.

You must be kidding :P

Hmm...charming music decorated with a cover featuring a device designed to kill thousands of people. Just hilarious.

See, we Americans ain't all nuke-happy.

I think Claude was making a reference to his 'avatar'.

Oh. Now I git it, when you draw me a diagram. Sorry about that.

My day job is editing copy written by people who think that "nuke" is the funniest verb imaginable in a joking context. This leads me into arguments over nuclear metaphors and images quite often. As you can see, I'm getting pretty good at it.