David Stone Martin

Late

A couple more that I like...

B00007DXGV.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(very different from most of his work, and quite eye-catching, imo)

Martin covers for Bud Powell records often seem to allude to Powell's mental state, with all its potential for split or dual behavior. The original cover to Moods is fairly disturbing in this light(bulb).

Martin seems to have a taste for the dispossessed ...

A few years back Japan released a couple box-sets of DSM mini LP cover collections. Wish I could find the ads I had seen on the net.

it was a series, actually. the box was an additional promotional mail-in item from disc union. both the box and the series (around 40 titles, i believe) are among the most treasured in my non-lp collection. almost every verve/clef/norgran in the thread here is represented. oddly, the bud powell title was *impossible* to find. apparently it sold out on pre-orders alone and precious few made it to retail.

Hey Brownie ... Have you ever seen this DSM cover? What's on the album?

Saw the Japanese vinyl reissue of that Verve album. Already had most of the tracks and did not buy it.

The album has 1952 sides by Don Byas (with Art Simmons) on one side and 1952 trio sides by Bernard Peiffer.

All available by now in the Jazz In Paris series.

Nice - but with inaccurate perspective - cover of the Saint-Germain des Prés church with a table from the Café des Deux Magots in foreground.

A couple more that I like...

B00007DXGV.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(very different from most of his work, and quite eye-catching, imo)

Martin covers for Bud Powell records often seem to allude to Powell's mental state, with all its potential for split or dual behavior. The original cover to Moods is fairly disturbing in this light(bulb).

Martin seems to have a taste for the dispossessed ...

Did DSM do the cover for Bud's JAZZ GIANT? The one with the man staring out at the sea?

All DSM's cover art appears in this book - probably hard to find now.

I've looked forever to find this one at a decent price. From what I know, a good copy will go for anywhere between $500 and $1200.

Good lord. I tried a Google search, and it appears that you're correct- one seller even has it at $1,750. These are paperback books! :o I better start handling mine more carefully.

While searching, I found another nice place to view covers:

The Album Art of David Stone Martin

Looks like you might be able to see large scans if you register (I didn't).

All DSM's cover art appears in this book - probably hard to find now.

I've looked forever to find this one at a decent price. From what I know, a good copy will go for anywhere between $500 and $1200.

Good lord. I tried a Google search, and it appears that you're correct- one seller even has it at $1,750. These are paperback books! :o I better start handling mine more carefully.

While searching, I found another nice place to view covers:

The Album Art of David Stone Martin

Looks like you might be able to see large scans if you register (I didn't).

I guess that I will have to be much more careful with the two Manek Daver books on album cover art that I have (The DSM book, and another one "Jazz Album Covers: The Rare And The Beautiful .. which is a hardback.)... Doing scans bends back the spines. I knew that these books had become collector's items, but I did not realize how valuable they now are. I wonder if there is any consideration for a reprint?

Note that Manek Daver's second book, "Jazz Album Covers the Rare and the Beautiful," contains a section of DSM covers which did not appear in the first book.

Also, DSM's manager, Gary Alderman, has a website, GJazz, I think, with merchandise for sale. He also auctions records.

• 1 month later...

A few years back Japan released a couple box-sets of DSM mini LP cover collections. Wish I could find the ads I had seen on the net.

I have some of them though not all. They were part of a DSM 10" album collection put out by Universal Japan some years back and are all now hopelessly OOP. A collection compiled around coverart, something of a first IIRC. The Japanese can't be beat at this.

Some of my favourites among them:

739729.jpg

Johnny Hodges - Collates

A funny DSM cover playing with Hodges' nickname. One of my fave DSM and one of my favourite jazz covers as well. You got to view it at full size though to appreciate it with its miroesque colour touches.

e3b7e38a-89d3-4f18-9ea4-95d90b33db3b.jpg

Lester Young - Collates No.2

I think there's a another Lester Young album using almost the same cover although with a different background colour. It's been reissued on VME.

9f09fe00-ab6e-4020-bc3b-7842486d05d9.gif

Kenny Drew - The Ideation of Kenny Drew

A beautiful cover in the modern art influenced 50s illustration style that i love so much.

There were also Flip Philipps and Roy Eldridge collates, some Billie Holidays, some Charlie Parkers, a Machito, a Tal Farlow and I think even a Toshiko Akyoshi album in the series.

I also have other reissues with DSM covers, like some Billie Holiday, a Buddy de Franco, Gillespie's Afro (an altogether different DSM) and Buddy Rich with Sweets (both as mini LPs), the Kid and the Brute (depicted elsewhere on this thread), the beautiful covers included in the Norma Granz Jam Sessions (some of my top DSM work: more typographical) and the covers to Bird albums compiled in the Verve Master Takes, at least.

I'm a sucker for (prefereably 50s) album cover art and collect covers compulsively. That's why I always prefer original reissues with good artwork repro and everything else. I also have books and vinyl LP covers and really enjoy those artworks. But as an artist working in that field DSM is probably the greatest, togeher with Jim Flora, Burt Goldblatt and some others. Claxton was a photographer and I also like Gil Melle's work.

One of many great parts of "Jazz Graphics" is that Daver interviewed Stone Martin for the book, so that accompanying text features DSM's comments on many of the covers.

Concerning the Kenny Drew cover, it apparently was a DSM Christmas card, explaining the doves; the cover having nothing to do with the music; Daver has no explanation for the vultures (some covers DSM gave no explanation for certain touches).

Magnificent covers and music from those 50's albums; Goldblatt was a great photographer in addition to being an artist and graphic designer.

Claxton, my favorite, designed many of his covers also. Many Claxton covers blur the distinctions between painting and photography--those solarized (?) covers for his book "Jazz West Coast" and the albums for the anthology series.

Goldblatt used an x-ray machine to show a saxophone for a Charlie Mariano cover.

Bringing this over to the Verve Elite Editions thread, a great reissue series, made even better when it featured DSM covers (Sweets Edison & Meade Lux Lewis, for example).

Regards,

Baker

DSM's drawing style sure is a classic of the era but at times I find his albums fail to portray moods that go beyond the introspective, moody and "low down" and are therefore not always in keeping with the music in the grooves. (See the Tal Farlow album cover - don't have the record No. on hand right now so cannot give the original release No.; this particular cover drawing might as well have been on the cover of some down home "in the gutter" country blues artist's music, yet Tal Farlow's guitar style is light years away from that).

To change the tone and make for a contrast, full marks therefore to JIM FLORA's zany RCA cover art. :D :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Many thanks couw for the links; those could make up a nice book of graphics in and of themselves. One just does not see those in the US.

Big Beat Steve, on the DSM covers, I think they portray a full range of emotions; consider the Hampton and Tatum covers that convey movement and activity; also a Gene Krupa comes to mind, with the stick being tossed in the air. Indeed the Farlow cover you mentioned does resemble more one of the Billie Holiday covers. Often, according to "Jazz Graphics," the cover bore no relation to the album's content; some of the covers came from illustrations from the book "Mister Jelly Roll." Daver puzzled over a Ralph Burns cover of a composer on his bed with a score for "Milneberg Joys" on top of him. It came from "Mister Jelly Roll."

"Jazz Graphics" describes the detail Stone Martin would go into in order to do most of the covers. He actually knew most of the musicians and saw them work. The Verve trumpet player logo depicts Charlie Shavers, for example. Compare some pictures of Shavers (see, "Jazz Giants" by K. Abe) and you will see the details.

As for Jim Flora, the exuberance compensates for a lack of subtlety.

Regards,

Baker