Brian Eno corner

Guy Berger

I dug out Here Come the Warm Jets after it had been collecting dust for a few years. Such a great album! I really need to get more of his stuff. BLANK FRANK!

I haven't heard his collaborations w/David Bowie.

Guy

You haven't heard "Heroes"? I think both Heroes and Low have a lot of good stuff on them; Lodger less so.

I recently purchased the remastered CD version of Warm Jets and found that I still treasure much of it (this time "On Some Faraway Beach" really got to me.) But if you like that, you should REALLY listen to Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) and then Another Green World. The latter remains his masterpiece, for my money.

I dug out Here Come the Warm Jets after it had been collecting dust for a few years. Such a great album! I really need to get more of his stuff. BLANK FRANK!

I haven't heard his collaborations w/David Bowie.

Guy

B00001OH7W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Bowie's Low is one of my all time favorite lp's. It has been getting a spin at least a couple of times a year for over 20 years now (hell I'm getting old fast). Also a huge fan of Heroes and Lodger. I must have worn out 3-4 cassette tapes of Heroes in highschool and college.

Before and After Science is one of my favorite Eno sides, followed by Another Green World and Here Come the Warm Jets depending on my mood.

The Ambient stuff never really did it for me. Sometimes I think his ideas are more interesting than the music.

As a matter of fact I was spinning Eno/Moebus/Roedelius ~ After The Fire, this weekend. :tup

The Ambient stuff never really did it for me. Sometimes I think his ideas are more interesting than the music.

Brian would have you believe that his ambient stuff can be listened to on many different levels. Personally, I've found that if you listen to the ambient material passively, it tends to be more effective (maybe that's just me though).

Another Green World & Before and after Science really knck me out. Here Come the Warm Jets & Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) are fun too.

I love the ambient albums, but by The Shutov Assembly he starts to loose me.

I'm really glad he introduced me to Harold Budd & Jon Hassell. To this day, I think Budd is amazing. I really hope his installations are more interesting then what I've experienced.

Hummm.... At one point, I downloaded his last album, Another Day On Earth, from eMusic, but they're not offering it now. I thought it a rather glum affair (especially the lyrics...and the singing...and the tempos).

Ah, but the old days: Taking Tiger Mountain, Here Come The Warm Jets, Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting...fun stuff. Then he got more serious. He forgot the value of a good joke.

Oh, yeah: The Byrne/Eno My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is a lot of fun, too.

Hummm.... At one point, I downloaded his last album, Another Day On Earth, from eMusic, but they're not offering it now. I thought it a rather glum affair (especially the lyrics...and the singing...and the tempos).

I spun it a few times, it didn't particularly grab me. I really don't know what the problem was. I should try again soon.

Oh, yeah: The Byrne/Eno My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is a lot of fun, too.

It took me a while to figure that out. I may not listen to this as often as the other early albums, but it's good stuff.

Eno/Cale & Eno/Wyatt & Eno/Manzanera fucking KILL Eno/Bowie, Eno/Byrne... sorry Low fans & i will NOT apologize for telling ya'll to read gen-u-wine Nigerian market literature instead of botherwing w/ "My Life" pap that swiped the title from said genre.

check the credits!

edc

I have been listening to the Eno/Bowie stuff for so long, I'm not sure I can be objective on the matter.

Actually I came to Eno through Bowie and Talking Heads. I had always heard the name, but it wasn't until I realized that he was involved in my favorites from these bands that I started picking up his stuff. I don't really listen to the Talking Heads that much anymore, although the pre-Let's Dance Bowie still gets an occasional spin.

Somehow I missed the Eno & Cale stuff, although that has already been rectified.

As a matter of fact I was spinning Eno/Moebus/Roedelius ~ After The Fire, this weekend. :tup

After The Heat was my favorite by those three---man, I used to love that album! I should listen to it again sometime.

My favorites of the ambient albums used to be On Land and the Apollo album...but I must admit, I haven't played any of the ambient albums in ages and ages, whereas I've always seemed to give one or more of his four 70's "song" albums a spin every now and then. The CD remasters have reminded me that I still like these albums and just how well they hold up.

(I remember liking Evening Star, too; never much cared for My Life In the Bush of Ghosts.)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bixieland

I have to mention that I just got Talking Heads "Remain in Light" the other day, which Eno produced. I was completely blown away by what I heard. Unlike anything that I've ever heard. So completely modern! And this was cut in 1980?!?!

Wow.

The cocophony of sounds and rhythms is profound...and to have it all work, without falling all over itself is insane.

Just my 2cents on ENO.

I have to mention that I just got Talking Heads "Remain in Light" the other day, which Eno produced. I was completely blown away by what I heard. Unlike anything that I've ever heard. So completely modern! And this was cut in 1980?!?!

Wow.

The cocophony of sounds and rhythms is profound...and to have it all work, without falling all over itself is insane.

Just my 2cents on ENO.

Bought this the week it came out way back when. It still blows me away :)

Guest Bixieland

Yeah...it's been a long time since I've picked up something out of the blue, and had it be a slam-dunk, home-run!!!! I can't seem to get enough of these infectous loopy patterns -- sounds like I'll be studying this one for quite awhile...

Eno is often better as producer then as musician/composer, like the Bowie, Talking Heads and U2 outputs demonstrated, but no obiection about "Before And After Science". Great record. The ambient stuff is interesting like some modern art, you look at it and you think: Wow! Great idea, powerful stuff! but you would never hang it on a wall in your house.

Edited by porcy62

I also like his second album w/Roxy Music -- For Your Pleasure.

Guy

Agreed. The first two Roxy albums are classics and very influential. Even though most of the credit probably belongs to Bryan Ferry, Eno's contribution is clearly significant. Just listen to the third Roxy Music album which is less experimental, although still great.

• 1 year later...

Brian would have you believe that his ambient stuff can be listened to on many different levels. Personally, I've found that if you listen to the ambient material passively, it tends to be more effective (maybe that's just me though).

I enjoy reading to Eno's ambient albums, especially On Land (Ambient 4) or his collaborations with Harold Budd. Experimenting with the volume level is helpful to the enjoyment. When reading or taking a nap, a real low volume works best for me, whereas background for conversation I tend to have it up a little more, though not obtrusive.

I wasn't that impressed with The Drop and a few other more recent albums, but then I think I'm not interested in owning more of his stuff. I have all his rock albums and most of his earlier ambient stuff and enjoy it all even today from time to time. Another Green World is my favorite vocal album, although Before and After Science is a close second, especially side 2.

• 2 years later...