******HANK MOBLEY SIGNED AFM BLUE NOTE REHERSAL CONTRCT ON EBAY******

The wages differences are interesting, aren't they?

Mobley 275 for a week

Monk 750 for a week

Stitt 900 for 3 nights

Getz 575 for 1 night

Cannonball 1100 for a week

Recent discussion on AAJ about musicians who were great sidemen but so-so leaders tended to overlook what this makes clear - a leader is supposed to generate a good income to feed the sidemen and their families. Hank wasn't a leader.

MG

I have a feeling that 46th St address was were Mobley's father lived, with Hank in and out of town.

(6 blocks from U Penn - but another world)

I heard that those matinees, which were required in Philadelphia (Peps, Showboat also) but not always elsewhere, meant that some musicians resented travelling to the city. Big market tho, obviously.

Actually, the Armstrong contract is a doozie! He had the leverage to get MGM to cough up $485 a week for his own staff, IN ADDITION to the fees for himself and his band! Compared to him, the others were hardly in the same business, were they?

MG

I was thinking that at that time, you could make a nice living as his valet - $100 a week buys a lot of 5 cent Snickers. :g

Mobley 275 for a week

Monk 750 for a week

Stitt 900 for 3 nights

Getz 575 for 1 night

Recent discussion on AAJ about musicians who were great sidemen but so-so leaders tended to overlook what this makes clear - a leader is supposed to generate a good income to feed the sidemen and their families. Hank wasn't a leader.

MG

Actually, Mobley's was just $175.... THAT is a big price difference between the other artists.

Mobley 275 for a week

Monk 750 for a week

Stitt 900 for 3 nights

Getz 575 for 1 night

MG

I'm not sure that it's fair to make such an assumption simply from reading these contracts. There could be many reasons that the pay varies so much. :)

Mobley 275 for a week

Monk 750 for a week

Stitt 900 for 3 nights

Getz 575 for 1 night

MG

Actually, Mobley's was just $175.... THAT is a big price difference between the other artists.

Yes - a slip of the mind. Very big difference.

MG

Mobley 275 for a week

Monk 750 for a week

Stitt 900 for 3 nights

Getz 575 for 1 night

MG

I'm not sure that it's fair to make such an assumption simply from reading these contracts. There could be many reasons that the pay varies so much. :)

True - but who's got the leverage here? The club owner mostly, because in those days, there were plenty of first class jazzmen competing for gigs. So the owner's trying to get people who can fill his club as cheaply as possible. And the musicians are doing the best they can. These contracts all look rather similar.

MG

IF I WAS THE CLUB OWNER I WOULD OF GIVEN HANK ALL MY BANK ACCT. BOOKS AND LET HIM GIVE **ME** BACK THE AMOUNT OF MONEY HE THOUGHT **I'D** DESERVE

No wonder then why you're a college graduate without credit cards who refers to dollars as 'big ones'.

I like how the club owner wrote in on Cannonball's contract that he (the artist) would not play another engagement within 20 miles prior to the date. I guess that was standard at the time for some places (and maybe still is?)

Sure, that's still common.

Some NYC contracts call for the contracted group not to play ay another venue in 3 months time. Before and after the contacted date.

IF I WAS THE CLUB OWNER I WOULD OF GIVEN HANK ALL MY BANK ACCT. BOOKS AND LET HIM GIVE **ME** BACK THE AMOUNT OF MONEY HE THOUGHT **I'D** DESERVE

No wonder then why you're a college graduate without credit cards who refers to dollars as 'big ones'.

MeeeeeeeeeeeOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW

Proud of ya!

:D

-can you describe that youtube clip w/ words for chewy, i cant do youtube on my computer

-and DONT U START GOULD-PIE dont u start U dont know nothing about chewy. chewy dont need no credit card to ride this train. i buy charles the bird parker bootlegs every other week and i dont even need 2 do ebay, just a 5 spot ea. muthafucka, a buck less if i trade 'em back a chick corea record so dont u start

- has anyone seen any other hank memorialbiliia (sic):

i recall a singned ROLL CALL on ebay, ive posted the jpg here before, also there is a signed card, with many jazz musicans on it, hank included; also cecil payne and like 10 others. have i posted that?

what others have we all seen?

I like how the club owner wrote in on Cannonball's contract that he (the artist) would not play another engagement within 20 miles prior to the date. I guess that was standard at the time for some places (and maybe still is?)

About three years back, someone tried presenting a jazz festival in Lawrence, Kansas, about 40 miles from Kansas City. They wanted a lot of Kansas City jazz musicians to participate. But they also insisted on some kind of wacky "no gigs within 100 miles for six months" clause in the contract. So nobody signed.

I find this practice by jazz clubs reprehensible. It's a throwback to the cabaret card days.

Many bands (mostly rock) will play the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA one night and Ram's Head in Annapolis the next. These towns are way less than 100 miles apart.

Are jazz musicians more constricted by this rule than rock musicians?

Let's take a hypothetical example to see how it would affect me, the consumer.

Hypothesis: Hypothetical musician X (whom I love and go see whenever I can, sometimes driving several hours) is booked to play in Baltimore, about a 50 minute drive for me. Strathmore Hall, which is five minutes from my house, decides to book him on the same tour, but cannot because Baltimore is less than 100 miles from Bethesda.

So I have to drive an hour to see him because of this crap? We're not talking about venues that are minutes away from each other; we're talking about an hour plus wear and tear on the car, gas etc.

If a band is on tour, they have to drive at least 100 miles from one gig to the next. This adds to their cost, and, like I said, screws the fans over as well.

The only restriction I can see is that you cannot take a gig that has no charge to the customer and that is nearby, since the savvy consumer will almost always pick the free gig (as long as the venue is OK). But how many free gigs are out there?

I blame it all on Mingus, who used to do shit like playing a museum gig between sets at a club :)

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand