Greazzze Over At Dusty Groove

Number one, that this yet another pirated reissue by the Andorran thieves. Even on the 50 years to public domain that Europe operates under, they have no right to issue this until sometime after 2010.

Number two, its a very fine session and features the underappreciated organist, Charles Kynard.

• 1 month later...

kynard_char_charlesky_101b.jpg

any word it's kinda pricey @ $25

I think you'd probably get it cheaper from Hiroshi Tanno - I'm going to order mine from him in a week or two.

I haven't heard it but I think it might be sort of medium good - better than "Woga" anyway. I'm not all that keen on Richard Fritz arrangements and he did all Kynard's Mainstreams, as well as his last 2 Prestiges. But some is OK.

MG

olipha_gras_grassroot_101b.jpg

i think i'll need this one

Grass Is Greener is a fun album. I might have to pick this one up as well.

"Grass roots" is as good, but in a different way. Not so greasy; Bobby Hutcherson and Harold Ousley are very good. Great instrumentation - tenor, vibes, bass, drums. LOTS of people here would reckon it superior to "Grass is greener".

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

• 2 weeks later...

kingcurtis~_oldgolddo_101b.jpg

so what really is the deal with this one, i recall someone on this board (or AAJ) saying 'Doin' The Dixie Twist' is one of the worst albums ever ?? Is that true ???

i've been lookin' to buy this forever but hold back cause of that comment, what's the real deal folks?

Yes, "Dixie twist" is one of the most genuinely awful albums you'll ever find by a great player.

"Old gold" is pretty good - Jack McDuff's on it. But it's actually not as good as I would have liked it to have been.

Get it if it's real cheap.

MG

olipha_gras_grassroot_101b.jpg

i think i'll need this one

Grass Is Greener is a fun album. I might have to pick this one up as well.

"Grass roots" is as good, but in a different way. Not so greasy; Bobby Hutcherson and Harold Ousley are very good. Great instrumentation - tenor, vibes, bass, drums. LOTS of people here would reckon it superior to "Grass is greener".

MG

Please allow me to say that this is a mighty fine 2-fer. of the "another day in the lives of..." variety. There's plenty other musics that are "deeper", and yeah, there should be. There better be. But this is just some damn good playing captured for posterity. Nothing more, and certainly nothing less.

• 3 weeks later...

timmon_bobb_soulmanso_101b.jpg

FYI, the entire "Soul Man" date with Wayne Shorter is (was) also available here in the U.S. on the following domestic "two-fer" CD...

f65437vhg2o.jpg

Bobby Timmons -- Workin' Out

I don't know if the second date (Soul Food) has ever been issued on CD here in the U.S., but (IMHO) it's the first date (the one with Wayne, "Soul Man") that really is "must-have" material in my book. "Sublime" would be putting it mildly. Well worth any half-way 'semi-reasonable' price. (Get it at all costs!!)

There are some WAY overpriced copies floating around at a couple on-line sources (half.com in particular), but there are a few 'damn cheap' copies elsewhere too. Look a little bit, and I'm sure you can find a good copy for $10 or $12 (shipping included).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

timmon_bobb_soulmanso_101b.jpg

FYI, the entire "Soul Man" date with Wayne Shorter is (was) also available here in the U.S. on the following domestic "two-fer" CD...

f65437vhg2o.jpg

Bobby Timmons -- Workin' Out

I don't know if the second date (Soul Food) has ever been issued on CD here in the U.S., but (IMHO) it's the first date (the one with Wayne, "Soul Man") that really is "must-have" material in my book. "Sublime" would be putting it mildly. Well worth any half-way 'semi-reasonable' price. (Get it at all costs!!)

There are some WAY overpriced copies floating around at a couple on-line sources (half.com in particular), but there are a few 'damn cheap' copies elsewhere too. Look a little bit, and I'm sure you can find a good copy for $10 or $12 (shipping included).

For me, "Soul food" is the REAL date :) Wayne Shorter is OK if you happen to like Modern Jazz, but he was no Soul Jazz musician (which is not the same as saying he didn't play with soul).

This CD, which I think is the only CD issue of "Soul food", will become increasingly difficult to get hold of. Ace, who issued it in UK only, lost their contract soon after Concord bought Fantasy and I can't see Universal Europe picking up the BGP thread again.

MG

I only have the "Soul Man / Soul Food" Ace two-fer (which I purchased primarily for the Wayne date), but I've kinda wondered about the other (non-Wayne) session on "Workin' Out". How is it??

The AMG review of the "Workin' Out" two-fer only mentions this about the date...

For an example of how the popular pianist had continued to evolve after his early funk hits, listen to his often-bitonal solo on "Bags' Groove" from 1964. That session features Timmons in a quartet with vibraphonist Johnny Lytle, bassist Keter Betts and drummer William "Peppy" Hinnant and is filled with subtle surprises.

Have to confess I'm not at all familiar with Johnny Lytle (vibes).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I only have the "Soul Man / Soul Food" Ace two-fer (which I purchased primarily for the Wayne date), but I've kinda wondered about the other (non-Wayne) session on "Workin' Out". How is it??

The AMG review of the "Workin' Out" two-fer only mentions this about the date...

For an example of how the popular pianist had continued to evolve after his early funk hits, listen to his often-bitonal solo on "Bags' Groove" from 1964. That session features Timmons in a quartet with vibraphonist Johnny Lytle, bassist Keter Betts and drummer William "Peppy" Hinnant and is filled with subtle surprises.

Have to confess I'm not at all familiar with Johnny Lytle (vibes).

Lytle is a good vibes player - not a great one, but a good one. Usually (except for one blinding Milestone session in 1972), he's very bluesy, very down to earth. Actually, he's very much at the same sort of level and the same sort of direction as Timmons, which makes "Working out" a very nice session between equals - people who weren't trying to do anything more than make good satisfying music.

MG