What music do you listen to on the way to a time trial?

Ok so this question is not for everyone. Time Trials are bike races that often take place *early* on a Sunday morning (at least, in this country). Last year I was using Funny Rat to get my heart going. Your man Shoji is just shocking on that one. This year so far it has been Dare Devil. For those who don't know, Dare Devil was made the day before Funny Rat, again with Hano, and with electric bass and electric guitar added. The reed sound is a bit recessed and the drums don't have as much impact as on Funny Rat. The guitar and bass don't try to take over. They get it just right. They set up the tone and motion and fill out the space with reference to electric Miles, to Soft Machine maybe and to Japanese Psychedelia, always with a sense of group function. I can't say it is musically great but somehow it is a great gig and is doing for me this year what Rat did for me last - shocking my heart into action!

Now here's the thing. This makes Funny Rat and Dare Devil my favorite records. What does that mean? It seems sick and wrong. But its da troof.

So: what do YOU listen to on the way to a time trial.

fahr05.gif

"Old Devil Moon" from this album:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/jazz...olo_Quartet.htm

It's in long meter and is moving a good clip anyway, so it creates a fantastic illusion that the music is traveling at twice the speed of the effort the musicians are expending to move it along -- just like chosing the right gear on a bike. Terrific performance too -- Hutcherson, Tyner, Herbie Lewis and (IIRC) Freddie Waits.

Another good choice with be "La Nevada" from Gil Evans' "Into the Hot" (or is it "Out the Cool"?) Whichever, the sense of relaxed speed is awesome. BTW, even though Elvin is on this date, he's not playing drums but miscellanous percusssion. The incredibly propulsive drum work is that of Charlie Persip.

"Old Devil Moon" from this album:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/jazz...olo_Quartet.htm

It's in long meter and is moving a good clip anyway, so it creates a fantastic illusion that the music is traveling at twice the speed of the effort the musicians are expending to move it along -- just like chosing the right gear on a bike. Terrific performance too -- Hutcherson, Tyner, Herbie Lewis and (IIRC) Freddie Waits.

Smilin' Billy.

Not at all a daft idea David....something I would run through my head every morning in the car before a TT!

Usually it was Led Zep II or Four. Sometimes Soundgarden's Superunknown but if I won, then the next race would always have to follow that playlist :ph34r:

Most of these events I rode were SPOCOs (David will know) so you didn't have the constant thrum of traffic. I would set off with a song in my head and about 12 bars of it would repeat through the whole event --- apart from the bits were I was vomiting or couldn't see for stars.

Happy days.