DIZZY GILLESPIE

paul secor

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered Savoy's "Odyssey: 1945-52" box last night, along with "Sonny Side Up." Looking forward to both.

Have a smattering of Gillespie -- including the Uptown big band, and June 1945 Town Hall releases, and the RCA 2-disc set -- but, as the thread kind of suggests, getting a firm idea of where to go next with his recordings can be a little murky.

Has someone who has listened to the Mosaic small groups box comment on it?

You'll love "Odyssey" (some don't like the sound... but if you can live with the RCA set I guess "Odyssey" is pretty good-sounding by comparison!)

Can't comment too much on the Mosaic, as I confess never having made my way through it all yet. I have much of it on separate CDs before, and it was mostly very good to excellent music!

You might also want to check out the 1956/57 big band (there's a 3-albums-on-2-CDs package as well as Newport '57, also a boot that's too long to be on one disc, I have to discs with partial overlap and still don't have it all...).

Dizzy on Verve is a mess to get an overview, though - he was all over the place - doing all star sessions (with Getz, with the Sonnys, with Stuff Smith, with Roy Eldridge), sideman gigs (with Benny Carter), jams (Norman Granz Jam Sessions, Sittin' In, JATP), and even a third-streamish project ("Perception", arranged by J.J. Johnson - mighty fine one! Grab the VEE if you ever get a chance!) as well as his own big band and small group sessions! Quite a flurry of activity after the rather drab years in the early fifties (some of that is on the third disc of "Odyssey" - nothing really bad, but still music much less exciting than what you'd expect from someone of Dizzy's calibre). It was like Granz turned the switch to "on" again, and Dizzy exploded!

Musically, though, I wouldn't expect anything new or too progressive. It's just very good bop, and if you're in the mood for that, it will be mighty fine!

Oh, and yes! Get the Gillespiana/Carnegie Hall twofer, too!

It takes too much technique to copy Dizzy, Monk or Bird.

People play Bird's licks but nobody approaches his rhythmic freedom while playing Bird's style.

IMO, Dizzy has many good records both musically and sound wise. Good enough to enjoy the music.

There ya go!

Here's a smattering of favorites:

Dizzy_Gillespie-The_Source_b.jpg

Dizzy_Gillespie_-_Reunion_Big_Band.jpg

CAPA.jpg

q6xwuri6.jpg

The first cover above, that of the Reunion Big Band recorded at the 1968 Berlin JF, is a great, great album. AFAIK however, the cover cited is that of the LP only. When I finally got this session on CD, the cover shows an older Dizzy, but of course the music is still great, particularly a hellacious version of "Things to Come". Here's the CD issue available currently in the U.S.:

415KKC8YGYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by MartyJazz

Dizzy on Verve is a mess to get an overview, though - he was all over the place - doing all star sessions (with Getz, with the Sonnys, with Stuff Smith, with Roy Eldridge), sideman gigs (with Benny Carter), jams (Norman Granz Jam Sessions, Sittin' In, JATP), and even a third-streamish project ("Perception", arranged by J.J. Johnson - mighty fine one! Grab the VEE if you ever get a chance!) as well as his own big band and small group sessions! Quite a flurry of activity after the rather drab years in the early fifties (some of that is on the third disc of "Odyssey" - nothing really bad, but still music much less exciting than what you'd expect from someone of Dizzy's calibre). It was like Granz turned the switch to "on" again, and Dizzy exploded!

Musically, though, I wouldn't expect anything new or too progressive. It's just very good bop, and if you're in the mood for that, it will be mighty fine!

This one's a bit different.

kbn_searchin.jpg

Katie Bell Nubin was Sister Rosetta Tharpe's mother. A good, not great, but very interesting, album, with the Dizzy Gillespie band of 1960 - inc L Wright, Mance, Spann, Art Davis & L Humphries.

MG

Well, just my opinion, but if you can find it for a "good price", pick it up. It's nice enough for sure, but everybody involved had already done (and would do) much more "vital" work elsewhere. Still a good listen, jsut not anything to break out the Collector's OCD about, if you know what I mean.

As usual, a thread like this costs me money, as I didn't have the Dizzy in Berlin MPS, which has now been ordered.

Yes...but I picked up a Carter/Gillespie( In the Mood for Swing ) only to realize it was the wrong one. All the hoopla was about Carter/Gillespie INC....

It is a nice date anyway. Think I will keep it and look for the other one!! :) :)

• 2 years later...

I'm bumping this thread because it seems to be the best one for discussion of Dizzy's discography.

So - does anyone know if all the tracks from Gillespie's sessions for Capitol have ever been legitimately reissued on CD or LP?

These are the session dates listed at jazzdisco.org (which of course means the info might be badly out of date):

December 21, 1947 (The Metronome All Stars)

- 2 tracks

November 21, 1949

- 4 tracks

January 9, 1950

- 4 tracks

Several of the tracks were reissued on the '70s LP "Tadd Dameron, Babs Gonzales, Dizzy Gillespie - Capitol Jazz Classics Vol. 13 - Strictly BeBop" (Capitol M 11059, (Du) 5C 052.80852),

but the rest seem to be hidden away on anthologies and Japanese LPs released decades ago.

I've browsed through discogs.com, allmusic.com, etctera, and can't find info on legit EMI CD reissues (I want to avoid the European bootleg labels Fresh Sounds, Proper, et al). Have EMI Japan ever compiled a CD, for instance?

Thanks,

John

Vancouver BC

You can find the two 12/21/47 Metronome All Star cuts on Capitol Jazz Classics Vol. 6 - All-Star Sessions. I have it as Capitol M-11031. No idea what the original Dutch cataolg number would be,

What are the titles left off of Strictly Bebop, and are they any less dire than the ones that were included? Just wondering it they're on the upper or lower "You Stole My Wife, You Horse Thief" side of the bar... :)

You can find the two 12/21/47 Metronome All Star cuts on Capitol Jazz Classics Vol. 6 - All-Star Sessions. I have it as Capitol M-11031. No idea what the original Dutch cataolg number would be,

Have the LP right in front of me: It's Capitol 5C 052.80 806

What are the titles left off of Strictly Bebop, and are they any less dire than the ones that were included? Just wondering it they're on the upper or lower "You Stole My Wife, You Horse Thief" side of the bar... :)

1949:

I Can't Remember (vcl Tiny Irwin)

1950:

Carambola

Honeysuckle Rose (vcl Joe Carroll)

"Carambola" was/is on the Capitol "The History of Jazz" comp "Vol. 4 - Enter The Cool" (Cap T796) that was around in several iterations/pressings from the original issue of the late 50s at least up to the mid-80s (I bought my copy as a Spanish facsimile reissue in 1983)

Have the LP right in front of me: It's Capitol 5C 052.80 806

1949:

I Can't Remember (vcl Tiny Irwin)

1950:

Carambola

Honeysuckle Rose (vcl Joe Carroll)

"Carambola" was/is on the Capitol "The History of Jazz" comp "Vol. 4 - Enter The Cool" (Cap T796) that was around in several iterations/pressings from the original issue of the late 50s at least up to the mid-80s (I bought my copy as a Spanish facsimile reissue in 1983)

Correct name for vocalist on I Can't Remember is Tiny Irvin.