Idrees Sulieman

Tom 1960

I'm presently listening to Teddy Charles' album "Coolin'" which features the fine work of trumpeter Idrees Sulieman. Besides this release and the album "The Hawk Flies High" by Coleman Hawkins which I also own, what are some others sessions worthy of consideration? Thanks.

I'm presently listening to Teddy Charles' album "Coolin'" which features the fine work of trumpeter Idrees Sulieman. Besides this release and the album "The Hawk Flies High" by Coleman Hawkins which I also own, what are some others sessions worthy of consideration? Thanks.

Try:

Mal Waldron - Mal 1

Coltrane/Burrell/Flanagan - The Cats

Bobby Jasper/George Wallinginton - Same

All of these are of the same vintage as Coolin (which I love). All excellent (I picked up several of them in the Concord blow-out last year)!

"The Cats" is a fine one! Sulieman is also on one or two of those Gene Ammons jam sessions on Prestige (these are still in print over here in new Universal-printed editions).

Later he played with the Clarke-Boland Big Band, of course he's just one of many fine soloist (notably on trumpet also Benny Bailey), but he's got some fine spots on at least one of those recent MPS reissues, "All Smiles" or "More Smiles" - alas I can't check since I don't have them at hand - both are recommended anyway, though, if you like modern big band jazz...

Just got Coolin' myself. Nice session!

I can't believe nobody mentioned his appearance on Monk's first Blue Note date.

I'll be checking out some of the other sessions noted in this thread, though I already own several. The Weston disc that Spontooneous mentioned is a keeper.

Check out the Clarke/Boland Big Band 'Live In Prague' DVD on Impro-Jazz. Sulieman takes a few trumpet solos on that film - part of an amazing trumpet lineup that also includes Benny Bailey, Shake Keane and Jimmy Deuchar !

Also another :tup for 'The Cats' on New Jazz. That is one mighty fine album.

Edited by sidewinder

Actually I already own the Jasper/Wallington recording. I neglected to mention that one. As for "The Cats", I had that in my paws, no pun intended recently when I was visiting Newbury Comics. I'll definitely make of point of purchasing that one in the near future. A friend of mine spoke highly of that release. The Mal Waldron recordings sound interesting since "Coolin" is my first exposure to his playing and I have to say I was highly impressed. The Weston album looks great also especially with the personnel on that session.

Edited by Tom 1960

Idrees Sulieman also has nice solo spots on these two Savoy albums:

'Top Brass' (along with Donald Byrd, Ray Copeland, Joe Wilder and Ernie Royal)

André Hodeir 'American Jazzmen Play Andre Hodeir's 'Essais' (along with Donald Byrd)

Two other Prestige ensembles dates with interesting contributions by Sulieman were the 'Outskirts of Town' and 'Roots' albums.

The "Outskirts of Town" session is KILLER...a little hidden gem. Sulieman is on fire, as is Jimmy Forrest, Jerome Richardson, Tiny Grimes, etc, etc.

Two other Prestige ensembles dates with interesting contributions by Sulieman were the 'Outskirts of Town' and 'Roots' albums.

The "Outskirts of Town" session is KILLER...a little hidden gem. Sulieman is on fire, as is Jimmy Forrest, Jerome Richardson, Tiny Grimes, etc, etc.

Yes, but don't overlook 'Roots', which I rate even higher. A vastly overlooked date!