Stanley Turrentine, AOTW 3rd to 9th June

The Rep

I wonder what this would have sounded like with a different rhythm section.

Guy

Like shit. :angry:

Who better than Gene Harris to play a set of late night blues? Its fine if people don't particularly care for this record, but there should be no doubt that it is the perfect combination of musicians and tunes.

Guy

Like shit. :angry:

Who better than Gene Harris to play a set of late night blues? Its fine if people don't particularly care for this record, but there should be no doubt that it is the perfect combination of musicians and tunes.

Woah tiger! I like this album a lot, just asking an innocent question.

Guy

Guest donald petersen

maybe if you admitted that nexus has some funky tracks on it, the positive vibrations would inspire cuscuna to reissue more three sounds sessions, dan.

Guy

I think Tommy Flanagan would've fit well as the pianist, too.

Maybe with Donald Bailey on drums and Sam Jones on bass?

Hank Jones, Wynton Kelly, and Red Garland would have been other interesting alternatives.

Guy

I am certainly not going to assert that the 3 sounds don't work here, they were after all the 4 sounds with a number of different sax players before they made it and I think their working unit togetherness is part of what makes this work (and it certainly does, IMHO). So I don't waste any time imagining others, piano bass or drums, here - it is what it is, and that's v. nice. So is ST at Mintons, as well as most of his BN work, but it ain't either or.... As a 'late night' mood thing it certainly works as well as Midnight Blue, although I am generally an 'album is a variety thing' guy... 9/10?

When put this forward as album of the week it was just my surprise at how nice it was and when I listen to it after such a long period of not owning it I got a lot of joy from the music. The funny thing is I did not think if only there was someone else playing the piano or bass or drums, I did not try to annualise this album but just enjoyed the music.