Stanley Turrentine, AOTW 3rd to 9th June

The Rep

I saw this in my local music shop and remembered that I use to own a copy which had gone missing quite a long time ago. Remembering that I like the album I bought it and Wow! what beautiful music. Firstly for those that don't know the album Blue Hour, Turrentine has the superb backing of the Three Sounds. That is Gene Harris - piano, Andrew Simpkins - bass, Bill Dowdy - Drums. It is worth buying the album just to listen to them but with this early Stanley Turrentine it is just a gem. They all play together like a well designed and well oiled gear box. not that there is anything mechanical about their playing. After listening to this album with a bottle of wine I felt at peace with the world. One of the most noticable things was the young Turrentine, quite a different sound from a lot of the other albums I have of his, even a touch of Ben Websters influence in there. The tracks,

I Want A Little Girl, Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You, Blue Riff, Since I Fell For You, Willow Weep For Me,

As you can no dout tell I like this album all over again.

Cheers The Rep

Edited by The Rep

You can't go wrong with Stanley! With players of that high quality, you can listen countless times and never get tired of them. I have all of his Blue Note sessions, and regularly keep coming back to them.

This particular session sure is a great one. The Three Sounds are also a favorite of mine! Once again, I always enjoy hearing them.

Not the best "late night" BN album, but very nice.

Guy

And what could possibly be better?

Kenny Burrell, Midnight Blue

Grant Green, Idle Moments

Different, but no better.

MG

Burrell is close; the Green isn't. Nothing touches Blue Hour.

Guy

MG

They're all wonderful. The Green was the one I thought of when I saw the original comment. It's actually too easy picking a classic Blue Note for AOTW, so I always make myself go farther afield whenever my turn to pick comes around! The argument here right now is "which classic is most classic"!

Guy

MG

They're all wonderful. The Green was the one I thought of when I saw the original comment. It's actually too easy picking a classic Blue Note for AOTW, so I always make myself go farther afield whenever my turn to pick comes around! The argument here right now is "which classic is most classic"!

Not quite - the argument is which is best for late night listening. Personally, none of the three are, from that point of view, a patch on "I hear voices" by Screaming Jay Hawkins.

MG

Guy

Hmmm...how late into "late night" are we going here. who are we going there with, and what's on the itenerary?

When "Jean De Fleur" comes on, I'm thinking it's either time to call a cab or time to make breakfast...

Guy

Hmmm...how late into "late night" are we going here. who are we going there with, and what's on the itenerary?

When "Jean De Fleur" comes on, I'm thinking it's either time to call a cab or time to make breakfast...

Precisely. Or put on "I hear voices".

MG

The finest late night album I know is Ben Webster's Atmosphere for Lovers and Thieves. This Turrentine Three Sounds IMO is also an excellent wake up session as you ease into the morning.

Peace,

Jeff T :w

I was thinking the same thing. I love this album and I probably listen to it more in the morning, i.e. first music of the day with my cup of coffee, than I do at night. I don't stay up as late as I used to, so many "late night" records have become "early morning" records.

I discovered this album on vinyl but I bought the 2 disc set a year or so ago to see what I was missing. I agree with the other person here who didn't think it added much to the original material. It's not bad by any means, but the original album is perfect the way it is. I rarely play that second disc.

I'm a raving Stanley Turrentine fan, but honestly...Blue Hour (while I definitely dig it) is probably one of the least-played Mr "T" albums in my collection. Most played is probably Look Out.

Another late-night listen for me is Grant Green - Street Of Dreams...

I'm a raving Stanley Turrentine fan, but honestly...Blue Hour (while I definitely dig it) is probably one of the least-played Mr "T" albums in my collection. Most played is probably Look Out.

Another late-night listen for me is Grant Green - Street Of Dreams...

It's funny, I don't think of Blue Hour as a ST album. It seems to have a life of its own for some reason. Is it the Three Sounds that make it so? I don't know. It doesn't really sound like a Turrentine album, I'll agree.

I'm not that big a fan of the trio either. They sound a little too well scrubbed and clean for my taste from what I've heard.

I'll second your note on Street of Dreams. It's a favorite of mine too. I suddenly realised the other day when I bought another Grant Green album that I have a lot of his stuff.

I'm a raving Stanley Turrentine fan, but honestly...Blue Hour (while I definitely dig it) is probably one of the least-played Mr "T" albums in my collection.

My sentiments exactly (except omit the word "probably"). It just doesn't reach me like many other ST sessions do.