OK, get out yer bowlers ...

kenny weir

VAN MORRISON: Lead Vocal (all), Acoustic Guitar (1, 4, 5, 11, 12), Alto Sax

(2, 8, 10, 11)

Acker Bilk: Clarinet (5)

Keith Donald: Bass Clarinet (1)

Lee Goodall: Alto Sax (6), Flute (9, 11), Baritone Sax & Backing Vocals (10)

Matt Holland: Trumpet (2, 6-10, 13), Flugelhorn (3, 5, 11), Backing Vocals

(10)

Martin Winning: Tenor Sax (2, 5, 7-9, 13), Clarinet (3, 6, 10, 11)

Richard Dunn: Hammond Organ (2, 3, 6, 8, 10, 13), Piano (7)

Gavin Povey: Piano (4, 5)

Fiachra Trench: Piano (9, 11, 12)

Ned Edwards: Guitars (2, 3, 5-8, 10, 13), Backing Vocals (2, 6, 10)

Mick Green: Electric Guitar (7, 13)

Foggy Little: Electric Guitar (1, 4, 12), Backing Vocals (1)

Johnny Scott: Electric Guitar (9, 11), Mandolin (11)

David Hayes: Bass (1-5, 7-8, 12-13), Backing Vocals (1)

Pete Hurley: Bass (6, 9)

Nicky Scott: Bass (10, 11)

Alan "Sticky" Wicket: Congas (3, 13), Washboard (7)

Liam Bradley: Drums (1, 4, 9, 11, 12), Backing Vocals (1)

Bobby Irwin: Drums (2, 3, 5-8, 10, 13)

PRODUCED BY VAN MORRISON

TRACK LISTING

1. What's Wrong With This Picture? 5:56 Van Morrison

original

2. Whinin Boy Moan 4:15 Van Morrison original

3. Evening In June 3:57 Van Morrison original

4. Too Many Myths 4:30 Van Morrison original

5. Somerset 4:05 Written by Van Morrison with music by

British jazz legend Mr. Acker Bilk & David Collett

6. Meaning Of Loneliness 7:21 Van Morrison original

7. Stop Drinking 3:42 Based on a tune by blues

legend Lightin' Hopkins with add'l lyrics by Van

8. Goldfish Bowl 5:57 Van Morrison original

9. Once In A Blue Moon 3:26 Van Morrison original

10. Saint James Infirmary 5:29 Traditional New Orleans

standard

11. Little Village 4:25 Van Morrison original

12. Fame 5:19 Van Morrison original

13. Get On With The Show 5:35 Van Morrison original

cave02.jpg

I didn't even know that Van Morrison plays alto sax. Does he play on any of his other recordings?

One for sure that I know of "A Night in San Francisco" which is a mighty fine live 2 cd set.Also I think he plays on "Back on Top" and numerous other recordings.No threat to the legacies of Bird,Cannon,Hodges etc but servicable.

Well I checked out parts of a half dozen or so of the songs. Some nice tunes. Nothing earth-shattering. I liked St James Infirmary. The originals I checked out were either Bluesy/R&B sort of numbers or what I would consider to be standard Morrison fare.

I have not bought a Van Morrison album since the 80s, I think. This one sort of puts him on my radar screen and as I've always liked him, I'll pick it up.

Stranger on the Shore, which was the Theme to a TV series, became a hit and Bilk tended towards the Easy Listening side of the Music.

He has in the last 10 years made some very nice record away from the Paramount Jazz Band, but in the company of Humphrey Lyttelton.. At Sundown from 1992.. a trumpet,clarinet, guitar, bass and drums set .. Humph also plays clarinet so you get some " Mezzrow/Bechet type duets.

Three O'Clock in The Morning.. similar line up.. no piano, no drums and John Barnes on Baritone,alto and clarinet.

Bruce Turner was to have been on the recording, but unfortunately he passed on.

The cover depicts the musicians sitting around drinking ( at 3 AM?).. There's a bottle of milk on the table for Bruce.

Then to top it off there's Azure from 2002 which features clarinet duets between Acker with another British Jazz legend.. Wally Fawkes.

All or any of these three records will quickly dispense any misgivings about Ackers talent that the bowler, waistcoat and name might invoke.... I only wish he didn't feel he had to sing on the few tracks he does.. His singing seems to drive the music right back into the " TRAD" division.

Worth checking out if you like solid mainstream type jazz.

So, what kind of a name is "Acker"? And what kind of a name is "Bilk"?

Serious inquiry.

Well his Mom was serious when she christened him Bernard Stanley Bilk.

He was from Somerset region of England, and in the days of his youth " Acker" was a slang term for friend, or mate... or as in the USA Buddy. I guess his friends called him that and it stuck.. ( maybe Lester was around, he had a way of naming people :g )

I don't know any ethnic background to the Bilk part, but it was a genuine surname.

Bilks band came to prominence in the british " TRAD " days and to some extent outfits were part of the trip. Bilk has a sense of humour that probably got him to put on the Bowler and waistcoat ( sorry... vest).. and somehow that stuck too.

Stranger on the Shore was a 6 ( i think) part series on BBC tv, I remember watching it, a bit of a thriller.. I'm sure other musicians were approached.. but his tune got selected. The show was a big hit, so the theme song followed , taking Bilk into stardom and making most of his record appearances in a string backed easy listening mode... obviously seeking a follow up hit... never came :huh:

Morrison obviously knows his musical roots..he probably watched the show too, but I was surprised to see the Bilk title in the above track list.

It'll be interesting to see what is involved in the Acker Bilk track