Ornette at the Hillcrest Club

medjuck

I've just purchased "Ornette Coleman Quintet-Complete Live at the Hillcrest Club" and I'm really liking it. Sound is ok (piano off mike a lot) and packaging nice. However what they call "Ramblin'" is not, though Rambin does appear titled "When Will the Blues Leave". So can anyone who's heard this tell me what is the song they call Ramblin? "When will the Blues Leave?" maybe?

Also is there a good bio of Ornette? I've always thought that he played at the Hillcrest before recording for Contemporary but what I've found on-line makes me think he had already recorded before meeeting Paul Bley and the gang. Am I wrong? Certainly his first Contemporary recordings were made a few months before this recording from the Hillcrest.

I've just purchased "Ornette Coleman Quintet-Complete Live at the Hillcrest Club" and I'm really liking it. Sound is ok (piano off mike a lot) and packaging nice. However what they call "Ramblin'" is not, though Rambin does appear titled "When Will the Blues Leave". So can anyone who's heard this tell me what is the song they call Ramblin? "When will the Blues Leave?" maybe?

Also is there a good bio of Ornette? I've always thought that he played at the Hillcrest before recording for Contemporary but what I've found on-line makes me think he had already recorded before meeeting Paul Bley and the gang. Am I wrong? Certainly his first Contemporary recordings were made a few months before this recording from the Hillcrest.

Both "Ramblin'" and "When Will the Blues Leave?" are on the original lp, so they may have been cross labeled on the cd.

John Litweiler's "Ornette Coleman: A Harmelodic Life" is perhaps the definitive Coleman bio, though it has been justly criticized for giving Coleman credit for the invention of water.

The first Contemporary recording, "Something Else", was recorded quite a few months before the Hillcrest date, well before Ornette was introduced to Bley. I believe it was Billy Higgins that first brought Ornette and Don Cherry to sit in at the Hilcrest, though I believe this story has been told with several different twists on those details. AFAIK, this was his first interaction with Bley.

Both "Ramblin'" and "When Will the Blues Leave?" are on the original lp, so they may have been cross labeled on the cd.

I think the IAI LP is mis-labeled also; will have to check. I seem to remember some weird issue with it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In September's Jazzwise, in an interview by Duncan Heining, Paul Bley is told about this reissue, and he

didn't even know it had come out and he isn't best pleased.

"What do they include - I'm very curious. Of course they don't have the complete anything. I recorded every set for 30 days. Now how much tape is that?"

Anyone for an extended, official reissue of this, with plenty of unreleased stuff (if tapes still exist)?

F

Edited by Fer Urbina