Bird: Complete Charlie Parker on Verve

DrJ

Finally broke down and after years ordered this, got a decent deal at half.com ($74 including shipping for used set). It's on the way.

I was a little concerned about the remastering being pretty old now, but it looks like Verve will not for a long time (if ever) get everything out in other formats, and everything I've read said sound quality was excellent for the time and I'm not fanatical about it. I have heard much of the music, but the strings, south of the border stuff, and much else I haven't...so what do others think about this set?

Edited by DrJ

Tony, You can't go wrong with this one - the sound is fine and even if it's improved sometime in the future who knows when they'll reissue it in it's entirety again.

With Bird, alternate takes are always different and always absorbing listening. you're not going to regret this purchase.

BTW - BIRD WITH STRINGS is absolutley GREAT.

Edited by Harold_Z

Tony,

$74 is a good deal. I like the strings material, not all the time but mostly. There's no one who can liven up strings material like Bird. That tone just flows through the material to really liven it up.

Plus, I love the JATP material, although that material's available elsewhere too. I especially like the material with Benny Carter in addition. Good discograpy although the notes aren't overwhelming.

Yes, another reason I hesitated is that I have the Verve JATP boxed set, and I believe it has all of the JATP material that's in the Parker box too.

I'm getting really excited about hearing the stuff I don't have, though...and everyone's comments are stoking the fires!

I join the majority opinion on this one. I bought it when it first came out and absolutely love it!

Back before the complete Bird on Verve was released, you could hear stories about Bird's artistic demise during the later period of his life. Looking at pictures of Bird from that time, you could believe it too. The limited number of Verve Bird LPs available often came with a qualifying line to the effect that this happens to be one of the occasions during the Verve years where Bird still played well.

Upon purchasing the complete Verve set, I was curious and prepared to listen to the deterioration and decline of a great artist. Imagine my surprise to hear Bird playing at a consistently brilliant level all the way through the box! There are no duds. Some things worked better than others, but Bird had it to the very end and here is the proof.

Norman Granz went a bit overboard in trying to prevent Bird from giving "cheap" sessions for the label. He only let Bird record with just his working group once. As a result, however, we have a treasure chest of Bird performing in all sorts of different contexts, with all-star quartets and quintets, with strings, with big bands, with Afro-Cuban bands. The genius always comes through.

I don't think that you will be sorry.

I don't want to spoil the fun, but I sold the box a few years ago, because I really hated the strings sessions and didn't care for the JATP material.

Hans,

What didn't you like about the JATP material? (I understand strings, that's not too everybody's taste and I don't like large doses myself)

Hans,

What didn't you like about the JATP material? (I understand strings, that's not too everybody's taste and I don't like large doses myself)

I don't like jam sessions and blowing dates - well, I don't like most blowing dates. I agree with Templejazz's remark in his Coltrane Prestige thread, they're often too drawn out and rambling; to my ears musicians sometimes sound ill-matched, and most of the time I find sessions like these not very interesting.

Edited by J.A.W.

I find the sound on the Dial/Savoy set to be far superior to the old Dial 4 CD box (I "traded up") and the packaging is far less "amateur" looking. The Denon comparison - can't say, I only had some of the older American Savoy reissues. The other Denon Savoy "mini LP" discs I have (all non-Parker) sound superb, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were "the stuff" purely from a sonics standpoint. Still, the Dial/Savoy box is heaven, to have all that stuff in one place, in good sound, and with the bonus Norvo et al session thrown in too.

Some of the missing material is the JATP stuff and the JAM SESSION with Benny Carter and Johnny Hodges.

Well, there's a fair amount of JATP stuff on the old box, but I think some new things got unearthed afterwards. The Jam Session is definitely on there - BETTER be, you can't have Bird on Verve w/o "Funky Blues"!

The MAIN omission, now that I get the thing out and look at it, is the session w/Machito, and that's just wrong. Don't know how THAT happened.

John, I got your PM, btw. Thanks!

Just what John said!

Although I have no set, but separate discs - I still cannot find what critic thought when them talked about late Bird.

Absolutely marvelous Bird, and his genius is sparkle through all the sessions.

And I understand JATP set too. It IS the material of great importance, and some of the greatest Bird's solos ever are included.

And JATP's are not blowing sessions :(

Edited by mmilovan

Ok, I bought the Complete Verve LP set back when it was issued. Had to eat cheap tacos for a week, but what the hell.

So, how much am I missing on the CD release?

Cheap Tacos and Bird now that doesn't seem like such a bad combination assuming the tacos were good.You strike me as the type that has no problem finding good inexpensive Mexican food and even if you didn't in this case you still got Bird and I'm sure the good mexican food has come your wat many times over. :D

Ok, I bought the Complete Verve LP set back when it was issued. Had to eat cheap tacos for a week, but what the hell.

So, how much am I missing on the CD release?

Cheap Tacos and Bird now that doesn't seem like such a bad combination assuming the tacos were good.You strike me as the type that has no problem finding good inexpensive Mexican food and even if you didn't in this case you still got Bird and I'm sure the good mexican food has come your way many times over. :D

Edited by chris olivarez

Some of the missing material is the JATP stuff and the JAM SESSION with Benny Carter and Johnny Hodges.

Well, there's a fair amount of JATP stuff on the old box, but I think some new things got unearthed afterwards. The Jam Session is definitely on there - BETTER be, you can't have Bird on Verve w/o "Funky Blues"!

The MAIN omission, now that I get the thing out and look at it, is the session w/Machito, and that's just wrong. Don't know how THAT happened.

I dug out my lps too to take a gander - I just didn't remember that stuff being on there! Turns out I had the 6 lp set "THE VERVE YEARS". Three twofers. It's an American Verve set with a 1976 copyright on it.

I dug out my lps too to take a gander - I just didn't remember that stuff being on there! Turns out I had the 6 lp set "THE VERVE YEARS". Three twofers. It's an American Verve set with a 1976 copyright on it.

The three two-fers were what I had too. I didn't remember that a complete LP set came out.

Just arrived last night, minor wear on the outside box but otherwise in great shape.

Only had a chance to do a quick A/B comparison of remastering quality between the material I did have in more recent Verve Master Editions (BIRD & DIZ and CHARLIE PARKER) and the boxed set remasterings of the same material. I have to say, I don't hear much difference between the two versions at all; perhaps a slight advantage for the later remasterings in the dynamic range and presence of the bass. These were never great recordings sonically, but unlike the magic RVG has been working with the early 1950's Doug Hawkins BN recordings (e.g. Monk GENIUS OF MODERN MUSIC), Verve haven't done much to make this Parker material sound better on their Master Editions.

The music, of course, speaks for itself.