Jazz PD Wanted at XM

Jazz channel? So they are combining all the channels that play various types of jazz into just one?

No, they've always had and still do have individual jazz channels. The straight ahead jazz channel is called "real jazz" then they offer other channels for "beyond jazz" and such.

Surius does the same.

they are also adding channels for: "some jazz," "no jazz," "dead jazz," "what's jazz?" "who jazz?" "why jazz?" and "occassional jazz whenever we feel like it."

"jazzy wazzy jazz", plus the one that WMMR in Philly (the supposed "real jazz" station here, but it's awful now) actually inflicted us with: "turn on the quiet". Can "all kenny g, all the time" be far behind?

This would be a dream job. A huge library to choose from and 24 hours to fill everyday.

Currently, the xm programming is relatively strong on the classic stuff but pretty weak on newer stuff (failing to venture beyond the J @ LC orbit). And, inexplicably, they program 'night time jazz' (read---'slow tempo boredom ad nauseum') after hours when, ideally, after hours is the time to be adventuresome.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mark Ruffin is, apparently, the new pd--..........Hopefully he'll find some time for music a little off the path too.

markruffin

It seems to me that the channel hasn't changed much from the last PD. Almost every time I tune in I either hear self-consciously "jazzy" vocalists (please god, no more scatting) or well worn modern jazz standards like "Senor Blues" "Maiden Voyage" " "So What" "My Favorite Things" etc. It doesn't seem that there's much off the path right now. You'd think that a 24/7 "real jazz" channel would try to be less predictable.