Moby Grape

Tony Pusey

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the first album, "Moby Grape". How can you not like it? I must confess that the rest of their catalogue does not move me to the same extent. Maybe I am missing something about it.

No, not really. Their first album is brilliant beyond all reason, but it seriously drops off after that.

Still, this is very good news!

I put in a special order for that first, eponymous, album back in 1980 or so. Then found out that the damn thing had just gone out of print. But many years later I was able to give it a listen somewhere and found it rather underwhelming. I wondered if I would have liked it more back when I was still heavily into 60's rock.

Have to say that the only Moby Grape connected record I have any interest in hearing these days is Skip (Alexander) Spence's Oar - also reissued by Sundazed. Still have my old Columbia LP from 1969.

I was never a huge Moby Grape fan, like their first album a good bit, love "Omaha". I'm not a country rock guy (the Byrds totally lost me with 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo'). I've never gotten 'Oar' at all. Sounds to me like what I understand it to be, the semicoherent ramblings of a madman. But I know a lot of people love it.

Of course just about all of you have it nailed, the first album is peerless, though I guess they could have stretched out a bit on those wonderful songs, Wow is patchy, Jam is indulgent,69 is underated and a fine album, Citizen is forgetable but a nice enough coda...Oar on the other hand is a work of genious and has been immensely influential ( who would have thought...)

A maddenly inconsistant band, but I recall Mike Wilhem saying that when he heard the Grapes 3 guitar front line a lightbulb went on in his head and he went, ` Ýeah...´

back in t-town i was tight w/ jerry and would see his blues band a lot- and they finally resolved their moby grape/columbia lawsuit too after 35 years: good riddance!!!

Any chance that It's A Beautiful Day also got some relief in that judgement?

back in t-town i was tight w/ jerry and would see his blues band a lot- and they finally resolved their moby grape/columbia lawsuit too after 35 years: good riddance!!!

If you're referring to It's a Beautiful Day's self-titled album, that one was reissued on CD in 2001. It's still available from Amazon.com and other stores.

In '67 I was in a garage band that played "Omaha".. I remember when the double lp came out I think in '69, there were a couple of cool grooves on Grape Jam and I loved the tune "Murder In My Heart For The Judge" and there was a campy tune called "Naked If I Want To"..

If you're referring to It's a Beautiful Day's self-titled album, that one was reissued on CD in 2001. It's still available from Amazon.com and other stores.

There's been a problem with US release of their entire catalog. I've managed to get import CD's of their first two albums plus their live album, but would like to get the other two titles (bad as 'Today' probably is, without David LaFlamme), remastering, bonus cuts, etc. CBS had a 2CD retrospective equivalent to the one they did on Moby Grape in the 90's and were blocked legally from putting it out due to court actions. It's a Beautiful Day and Moby Grape shared the same seemingly unscrupulous (I don't know his side of the story) manager, Matthew Katz, during their tenures with Columbia records, and he has blocked legit US releases of their catalogs for many decades.

The first IABD album( including wonderful Globe Propaganda cover, perhaps the best thing about the album!), Marrying Maiden, the first Grape and Wow ( including a sizable chunk of Jam) has ben available on Katz own, San Francisco Sound label. Of course there have been various other cd reissues of these albums but the IABD has also appeared sans original cover, as a result of this legal kerfuffel.

There's been a problem with US release of their entire catalog. I've managed to get import CD's of their first two albums plus their live album, but would like to get the other two titles (bad as 'Today' probably is, without David LaFlamme), remastering, bonus cuts, etc. CBS had a 2CD retrospective equivalent to the one they did on Moby Grape in the 90's and were blocked legally from putting it out due to court actions. It's a Beautiful Day and Moby Grape shared the same seemingly unscrupulous (I don't know his side of the story) manager, Matthew Katz, during their tenures with Columbia records, and he has blocked legit US releases of their catalogs for many decades.

The CD of their first album in the Amazon link above was released by San Francisco Sound, which is Matthew Katz's company. I think most people would be really happy to see Sundazed redo IABD's catalog as well as Moby Grape's, but I'd be surprised if that comes to pass anytime soon. Then again, I never expected to see the Grape wrest control of their catalog away from Katz, so anything's possible.

Years ago I listened to the above mentioned 2cd comp just to see/hear what all the fuss was about. Much like my reaction to Love, I could hear how they could have a cult following, but it was equally eay to hear why it never went beyond that...perhaps the vnearest analogy would be Buffalo springfield who also had to much talent for one band, but I much prefer BS...since I do prefer BS to csn&y, Yardbirds to Led Zep, etc. seems like I should like bands like Moby Grape and Love more, but I don't, For What It's Worth.

Randyissnmo: what was your band called? was it a member of the legendary 1960s Detriot garage rock scene? did you ever see a young bob seger? have u heard jerrys pre moby grape stuff, in the garage rock bands: The incridible kings and The Elegants? its serously rockin

Hey Chewy,

The band I was in was called the "Parts Of Perception".. We played Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds, Moby Grape, Cream, and Jimi Hendrix, Superfine Dandelion, early Steve Miller, Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, and played none of it very well I might add.. :rolleyes:

I did make lots of trips back then to Detroit to catch not only a very young Bob Seger but also the MC5, Amboy Dukes, Mitch Ryder, and Alice Cooper who's band had moved from the west coast to Pontiac and lived in a farm house where they had set up a rehearsal studio..

Edited by randissimo

...perhaps the vnearest analogy would be Buffalo springfield who also had to much talent for one band, but I much prefer BS...since I do prefer BS to csn&y, Yardbirds to Led Zep, etc. seems like I should like bands like Moby Grape and Love more, but I don't, For What It's Worth.

I also prefer the Yardbirds to Led Zep (overall that is - the highligts of Led Zep can't be touched, but too much posturing in too much of the material for me) and Buffalo Springfield to CSNY. I also prefer the Byrds, the Hollies, Neil Young solo, and the best parts of Stephen Stills solo and David Crosby solo to CSNY.

Katz will definitely smoke turds in Hell for screwing the band AND the public for so many years............lost $$$ for the band, and screwing the fans way too much $$$ for inferior cd versions............All Hail Sundazed for doing it right, FORTY YEARS IN THE MAKING! Now if only someone would do the lone Reprise LP "20 Granite Creek"............