Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

Sundog

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Robert Plant has never sung as well as he did on the first Led Zeppelin album and during 1969 concerts. He sang lower and with amazing raw power that would pop up only occasionally later on. On later albums he got more and more into that mannered squeaky voice (hear "The Song Remains the Same" for example). I am not sure what happened, maybe that powerful full-throat singing was physically not sustainable live. 

Edited by Д.Д.

Walter’s Walk” from the 1982 odds-and-ends collection Coda — started as an instrumental from 1972, with various overdubs in 1982 — including vocals that are all Plant’s 1982 voice. And I think pretty clearly so too — when compared with Plant’s first solo album (also from 1982).

I’m not a big Zeppelin fanatic (far, far from it), but I do like this song better than most, in large measure because I specifically like Plant’s (1982) vocals better here.

I think I already said up-thread that I am quite fond of Plant’s early solo work (his first 3-4 solo albums especially). But AFAIK, “Walter’s Walk” is the only Zep tune that Plant overdubbed his vocals on post-1981 (but I’d love to know if there are any others).

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Walter’s Walk” from the 1982 odds-and-ends collection Coda — started as an instrumental from 1972, with various overdubs in 1982 — including vocals that are all Plant’s 1982 voice. And I think pretty clearly so too — when compared with Plant’s first solo album (also from 1982).

I’m not a big Zeppelin fanatic (far, far from it), but I do like this song better than most, in large measure because I specifically like Plant’s (1982) vocals better here.

I think I already said up-thread that I am quite fond of Plant’s early solo work (his first 3-4 solo albums especially). But AFAIK, “Walter’s Walk” is the only Zep tune that Plant overdubbed his vocals on post-1981 (but I’d love to know if there are any others).

Yeah, they've been cagey about it, but this is definitely a track Page and Plant finished together post-Bonham. You can audition the original backing track on YouTube.