why do we collect all this music?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, though a bit depressing. ;)

Lately I am thinking about it. I have enough music for the rest of my life. I mean you don't really "own" a record until you "know" it and you don't really "know" it after a couple of spins. After a compulsory period of time that lasted ten years when I bought dozens of records per week, now I am focusing on my existing collection, I am spending more money on tweaking my hi-fi gear (yes, I'll talk about this new compulsory problem with my psychiatrist) instead of buying hundreds of new records that I'll never "know", because of lacking of time.

For the same reason dogs lick their own balls: because we can, and it gives us pleasure?

:D Yeah, but you're still young and limber. :P

But seriously (or perhaps not quite), this is the recurring topic from hell, which nobody really ever wants to face... we all have to deal with this in our own way. I'm in the process of learning to control myself.

For the same reason dogs lick their own balls: because we can, and it gives us pleasure?

:D Yeah, but you're still young and limber. :P

But seriously (or perhaps not quite), this is the recurring topic from hell, which nobody really ever wants to face... we all have to deal with this in our own way. I'm in the process of learning to control myself.

aloc was surprised to have any response at all on this topic that likely concerns each of us.

Oh PLEEASE can we start a poll on 'what is the size of your unplayed backlog'?

By the way I think this is why downloads are certain to take over: you get to listen to music without being stuck with some nerdy looking 'collection'.

FWIW I always reckon I am not an addict and buy very selectively. But on the unplayed backlog polls I have always been right up there, so I'm not so sure...

FWIW I always reckon I am not an addict and buy very selectively. But on the unplayed backlog polls I have always been right up there, so I'm not so sure...

Actually my backlog is only a problem when i buy boxsets, my only backlog currently is Les trésors du jazz , only 7 cds remaining.

The real problem for me is the stuff you only listened once and never had the chance to listen to it again no matter how good it was the first time.

My collection of cds is a bunch of one night stands, i meant to call them but i elected to shack with another girl instead.

For me, at least, it is a matter of compulsion. Once I get a jones for a particular CD or artist, I literally cannot rest until I get what I'm after. I think about it all the time. I've even dreamt about it! It's nuts! A real sickness...

Lately, I've moved my entire collection (3000 + CDs) down to the basement so that I'm at least not looking at them all the time. Out of sight, hopefully out of mind (it also has the added bonus that my wife doesn't have to look at them all the time either, and it's freed up tons of room).

By the way I think this is why downloads are certain to take over: you get to listen to music without being stuck with some nerdy looking 'collection'.

some i hear on the radio i have owned for years, and its been so long since i have played my copy that i have forgotten the selections on the album and personnel.

For me, at least, it is a matter of compulsion. Once I get a jones for a particular CD or artist, I literally cannot rest until I get what I'm after. I think about it all the time. I've even dreamt about it! It's nuts! A real sickness...

Lately, I've moved my entire collection (3000 + CDs) down to the basement so that I'm at least not looking at them all the time. Out of sight, hopefully out of mind (it also has the added bonus that my wife doesn't have to look at them all the time either, and it's freed up tons of room).

But then doesn't that ensure you are buying music you will never listen to? I think I have come up with a reasonable compromise for myself. I have a 600 CD rack on the wall with the stuff I like the most. The rest are tucked into bookcases which I bought extra deep, so that I can fill the front with books. That way they are still fairly accessible, but are not always in the way, on the floor, etc.

But I certainly admit it is a compulsion. Still, you never know when that CD you pick up on a whim turns out to be great, if not entirely life-changing. I just picked up Art Farmer's Farmers Market and can see this going into my top 600 pretty soon. So of course, I then had to get the remaining Farmer OJCs I was missing before they get extremely expensive (as noted on other threads).

we wont live near long enought to hear much of it?

If I was rigorous enough about it, I think I could listen to my entire collection in 3 years (not counting downloads though). So by my calculations I have about 15 times through all of it before I croak. With that in mind, I'll probably keep collecting for a while, though I have slowed down now that I have covered the basics pretty well.

Edited by ejp626

But then doesn't that ensure you are buying music you will never listen to?

Not really. The CDs in the basement are on shelves, not in boxes or anything, so they are always accessable. And I make many, many trips every day down into the basement to get CDs to listen to (I do keep a pile of CDs next to the stereo that I am currently working my way through).

I'm like Joe Bussard, who also famously keeps his records on shelves in the basement...

Actually my backlog is only a problem when i buy boxsets, my only backlog currently is Les trésors du jazz , only 7 cds remaining.

The real problem for me is the stuff you only listened once and never had the chance to listen to it again no matter how good it was the first time.

My collection of cds is a bunch of one night stands, i meant to call them but i elected to shack with another girl instead.

That is pretty much my problem as well. I listen to everything once, but not necessarily twice. My inflow used to be so large that, if a disc didn't make a really big impression on me the first time through, changes are that I may have never listened to it again. They get filed away and often forgotten about.

I don't buy nearly as many discs anymore. So things are getting a bit better. I have been scrounging my collection lately for what I have ignored of forgotten about for too long.

Well I went crazy for quite a few years on the collecting bug...and now I have lots of CDs but also lots of debt. In the past year I've probably bought about 15 CDs (many used) and some downloads from emusic. Although there's still plenty of albums I'd like to own, I'm no longer feeling obsessed to the point where I MUST get them at all costs. I'm fairly happy with my collection right now and don't really feel the need to buy everything on a whim anymore. I have hundreds of titles in my collection that have only been played once, so there are still many saved up items to explore.

I also stopped collecting DVDs, as the cost isn't worth watching something once a year or less. Now I just do Netflix and live with that.