Mary Osborne

bertrand

I just bought three Mary Osborne tunes from iTunes, from a compilation called Swing To Bop Guitar. They are: 'Rose Room', 'Blues In Mary's Flat' and 'Oops My Lady'.

My questions are as follows:

1) What is the recording date and personnel (and composers?) for these three tracks. The first is live, but not the other two.

2) What other Mary Osborne is there out there that I can purchase? I would like to hear more from this wonderful player.

3) Could the Grant Green composition 'Blues in Maude's Flat' be connected to 'Blues In Mary's Flat'?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Bertrand:

Here's the answer to your first question:

Rose Room (Art Hickman, Harry Williams)

Mary Osborne (g), Leon Prima (t), Julian Lane (tb), Irving Fazola (cl), Pete Lauderman (p), Frank Frederico (g), Bunny Franks (b), Charlie Drake (d).

2nd Esquire Concert, Municipal Auditorium, New Orleans, January 17, 1945.

Blues in Mary's Flat (Osborne)

Oops My Lady (Osborne)

Mary Osborne (g), Sanford Gold (p), unknown b and d. New York City, mid 1946.

I just bought three Mary Osborne tunes from iTunes, from a compilation called Swing To Bop Guitar. They are: 'Rose Room', 'Blues In Mary's Flat' and 'Oops My Lady'.

My questions are as follows:

1) What is the recording date and personnel (and composers?) for these three tracks. The first is live, but not the other two.

2) What other Mary Osborne is there out there that I can purchase? I would like to hear more from this wonderful player.

3) Could the Grant Green composition 'Blues in Maude's Flat' be connected to 'Blues In Mary's Flat'?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

The Now And Then album on Stash listed in the discography is a nice replacement if you can't get her 1959 Warwick album as it includes part of that album (I placed several unsccessful bids for the Warwick original on eBay through the years so it seems to be coveted).

BTW - who's that sax player in the pics? Willene Barton? (Just a wild guess...)

The Now And Then album on Stash listed in the discography is a nice replacement if you can't get her 1959 Warwick album as it includes part of that album (I placed several unsccessful bids for the Warwick original on eBay through the years so it seems to be coveted).

BTW - who's that sax player in the pics? Willene Barton? (Just a wild guess...)

I think it's Vi Redd.

Steve: Jack is correct; it's Vi Redd.

Ken: These pictures were taken the night before and the night of the "Now's The Time" recording.

The first I ever heard of Mary Osborne were the sides she made with Coleman Hawkins in the '40's.

Those nights were special because of her and Vi Redd, who played with more balls than most men.

428863385_a210e7308f.jpg

Steve: Jack is correct; it's Vi Redd.

Ken: These pictures were taken the night before and the night of the "Now's The Time" recording.

Those nights were special because of her and Vi Redd, who played with more balls than most men.

428863385_a210e7308f.jpg

Strange - I had that Halcyon LP, but it somehow didn't reach me. What was the drummer's name - Dottie Dodgion? I wonder how she could play with these shoes!

Edited by mikeweil