Am I the only one who thinks LEEWAY is boring?

Big Al

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as is usually the case whenever I start a thread like this, little things start jumping out at me. Like the fact that I've been whistling the head of "These Are Soulful Days" over and over ever since I started this thread. I've been listening to it a lot over the last few days; it's slowly growing on me. Slowly. :)

and the piano entry after the bass solo...

maybe this is the right point in the thread to ask: if i like leeway, what else do i need? probably not moanin and the sidewinder...

i'd guess Jackie McLean's Prestige Sessions are a little like this? the Kenny Dorham / Jackie Mclean albums come to mind, but what else...?

maybe this is the right point in the thread to ask: if i like leeway, what else do i need? probably not moanin and the sidewinder...

i'd guess Jackie McLean's Prestige Sessions are a little like this? the Kenny Dorham / Jackie Mclean albums come to mind, but what else...?

Jackie's Bag. Pretty sure it doesn't have Mogie on it, but it's my favorite of Jackie McLean's albums of that time.

Jackie's Bag. Pretty sure it doesn't have Mogie on it, but it's my favorite of Jackie McLean's albums of that time.

i always thought of (the rvg with the three extra tracks of) this as a tina brooks album, i love it but wouldn't have compared it to leeway... but admittedly i always skip the first three tracks with Donald Byrd, thought they were boring :) but maybe i should give them a chance to grow on me...

i always thought of (the rvg with the three extra tracks of) this as a tina brooks album, i love it but wouldn't have compared it to leeway... but admittedly i always skip the first three tracks with Donald Byrd, thought they were boring :) but maybe i should give them a chance to grow on me...

there is Quadrangle, the first tune on the disc, which has Sonny Clark sitting out. Good stuff that goes beyond anything else on the album.

After all the discussion of LEEWAY, I thought I would pull my copy off the shelf and listen to it again. Haven't heard it in quite some time. Not sure why some people found this one boring. I like it a lot. There are many other Hard Bop recordings I would rate far lower than this one.

Same here.

After all the discussion of LEEWAY, I thought I would pull my copy off the shelf and listen to it again. Haven't heard it in quite some time. Not sure why some people found this one boring. I like it a lot. There are many other Hard Bop recordings I would rate far lower than this one.

Same here.

Same here. I listened to this about a week ago and now I can't get "The Lion and the Wolff" outa my head. Great tune.

Maybe instead of "Album of the Week," we should have "Album I Don't Like." Those seems to generate more discussion! :g

Great idea! I remember when I was struggling with Big John Patton's 'Accent on the Blues' and expressed as such in a Patton thread, then Soulstream indicated some stuff to hear for. I did that, and now my appreciation for this album is really high now.