British jazz reissues

RogerF

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's fine Roger...very informative.

BTW is the new release of "Prelude to Heart is a Lotus" ever likely to see the light of day as a CD reissue?

Afraid not, however the LP does come with a free digital download. Not quite the same thing though.

I've just noticed that Esoteric Records have re-issued Henry Lowther's album "Child Song". It's described as "......has been newly remastered from the original master tapes and includes an illustrated booklet and a new essay."

51kGgm9b7kL._SX450__PJautoripBadge,Botto

I wonder how it differs from the Vocalion release that came out in 2005?...anyone know?

This is slightly "off topic" but I really want some feedback from the participants of this thread. I've migrated the Ian Carr and Nucleus website to a new and (hopefully!) improved one so would very much appreciate it if you could just take a quick look and if you feel like commenting please do so either here or at the email address given at the foot of the home page. Many thanks! The new website is here: http://iancarrsnucleus.webs.com/

A couple of small points:

• I'd move the legal part to the very right in the top ribbon (and have the Discography placed more prominently, after Images and News maybe?)
  • the discography is kind of hard to read, it could use some formatting (indent titles, fatten album titles and release info ... I know that throws over the concept of what's in bold type now, but I'd reconsider that)

Anyways, this looks like a very informative site and I wasn't even aware it existed before, so thanks a lot for that!

This is slightly "off topic" but I really want some feedback from the participants of this thread. I've migrated the Ian Carr and Nucleus website to a new and (hopefully!) improved one so would very much appreciate it if you could just take a quick look and if you feel like commenting please do so either here or at the email address given at the foot of the home page. Many thanks! The new website is here: http://iancarrsnucleus.webs.com/

A couple of small points:

• I'd move the legal part to the very right in the top ribbon (and have the Discography placed more prominently, after Images and News maybe?)
  • the discography is kind of hard to read, it could use some formatting (indent titles, fatten album titles and release info ... I know that throws over the concept of what's in bold type now, but I'd reconsider that)

Anyways, this looks like a very informative site and I wasn't even aware it existed before, so thanks a lot for that!

King Ubu, many thanks for your comments which I appreciate - the reason I migrated to this Webs.com site is because it is free - as opposed to the previous one which I had been paying for - and wanted to move to something which was as (or more) functional but free and therefore could (theoretically) last until the end of time (or the end of Webs, the Internet.....) without me. The downside of the Webs site is that it is infernally "quirky" and unlike the Yahoo! one does not require html coding - which although a good thing means that the slightest "tweak" of a page can easily result in losing a whole load of stuff forever. So I'd rather not change anything unless it's actually wrong, for now. I actually changed something that was factually incorrect in the news section yesterday and nearly b*****d up the whole page! So I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch, but as I learn how to use the Webs site more I will aim to improve it whenever I can.

Edited by RogerF

I've just noticed that Esoteric Records have re-issued Henry Lowther's album "Child Song". It's described as "......has been newly remastered from the original master tapes and includes an illustrated booklet and a new essay."

I wonder how it differs from the Vocalion release that came out in 2005?...anyone know?

The Vocalion CD release sounded pretty OK to my ears (I have the LP too). So I would say - the booklet ! Plus - Henry's socks seem to have a slightly more psychadelic shade of yellow.

Edited by sidewinder

The Vocalion CD release sounded pretty OK to my ears (I have the LP too). So I would say - the booklet ! Plus - Henry's socks seem to have a slightly more psychadelic shade of yellow.

Yes, I too am more than happy with the sound of my Vocalion CD.

It does seem a shame that we're getting multiple re-issues of what were previously hard-to-find British jazz albums (I seem to recall one of Michael Garrick's albums released by Vocalion was similarly re-issued not so long ago) whilst there are still so many 'gold-standard' albums that have never been re-issued at all.

Yes - 'Heart is a Lotus/Black Marigolds' on BGO, both previously reissued by Vocalion

Now why can't we have:

'Afro Jazz'

'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe'

'Hum Dono'

'Cosmic Eye'

'Tony's Basement'

'Springboard'

a raft of Stan Tracey Big Brass

plus some later Lansdownes such as Tony Coe 'Zeitgeist' and Alan Branscombe 'The Day I Met The Blues'.

End of rant...

Edited by sidewinder

Yes - 'Heart is a Lotus/Black Marigolds' on BGO, both previously reissued by Vocalion

Now why can't we have:

'Afro Jazz'

'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe'

'Hum Dono'

'Cosmic Eye'

'Tony's Basement'

'Springboard'

a raft of Stan Tracey Big Brass

plus some later Lansdownes such as Tony Coe 'Zeitgeist' and Alan Branscombe 'The Day I Met The Blues'.

End of rant...

Ah....if only.

Well, at least Zeitgeist is pretty cheap when it comes around...

I would assume the problem with Springboard is despite the fact it was produced by Eddie Kramer, it's somehow wrapped up in the Polydor clusterf*ck. Cool record - was able to snag it for not too much bread some time ago. A few of those are pretty much out of my record-spending cap, which though it gets higher every year, cannot crack the four digit mark.

61XUjKWnsGL._SY450_.jpg

This arrived this morning and it's much better than I was expecting with Don Weller in excellent form. Nice rhythm section too. We had some great drummers playing in London then. Tony Marsh plays on this one but what about John Stevens, Alan Jackson.... and was Phil Seamen still around then?

I don't remember ever seeing this when it first came out in 1976, so this is a very worthwhile reissue.

Phil Seamen passed on around 1972/73 I think. John Stevens was very active around the 1976 timeframe though, with 'John Stevens' Away'. Sounds like I need to get the 'Major Surgery' CD.

Working my way through the Duncan Heining book at the moment. He's done a great job - political discources aside (and they don't overpower the historical British jazz narative but add an interesting commentary/context).

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...

I've just received an-mail from Harkit Records stating that they will be re-issuing an album entitled "Joe Harriott and The British Jazz All-Stars - Jazz Britannia 1956" in the near future.

Heres' the blurb I received:

"Our occasional forays into the world of jazz are usually for a good reason. A delve into a hugely rare and groundbreaking series of recordings by British legends Joe Harriott, Don Rendell, Kenny Graham, Derek Smith and Jimmy Watson are gathered together from 1956 sessions to appear here for the first time on CD. The cool cover was how our Americans

cousins perceived us across the water!

Who better than Simon Spillett to explain everything in the usual packed Harkit notes…"

I see that Amazon are advertising a similar sounding album as an mp3 download here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazz-Britannia-British-All-Stars/dp/B0072FTI68

Anyone know anything more about either the music or the release itself?

• 4 weeks later...

One for those who missed these two last time round (from: http://www.colin-harper.com/news/)

I’m delighted to report that Hux have also just received the go-ahead to reissue, as a 2CD set, the two Howard Riley Trio CBS albums from 1969 and 1970, Angle and The Day Will Come.

One for those who missed these two last time round (from: http://www.colin-harper.com/news/)

I’m delighted to report that Hux have also just received the go-ahead to reissue, as a 2CD set, the two Howard Riley Trio CBS albums from 1969 and 1970, Angle and The Day Will Come.

I already have the two CBS Realm CDs, but for anyone who doesn't have them..........these are both absolutely "MUST-HAVES".

• 1 month later...

This is not a reissue but a rare archival find! An extremely important previously unreleased set from The Tubby Hayes Quartet is out on 18 November 2013 from Gearbox. "Seven Steps To Heaven: Live At The Hopbine 1972" (Gearbox GB1523) is a 12” 180gm Vinyl LP which includes a free download code - This is "The first commercial release of an historic Tubby Hayes performance that fully captures the more restrained and subtler side of his robust talent. Recorded at the Hopbine, London on May 2nd 1972." Tracklisting: A1. Someday My Prince Will Come (12:32); A2. Seven Steps To Heaven (5:40); B1. Alone Together (14:23). Personnel: Tubby Hayes - tenor saxophone, flute; Mike Pyne - piano; Daryl Runswick - bass; Tony Oxley - drums. Significantly it is in stereo and in addition to Mike Pyne, Tubby's regular pianist also features virtuoso players Tony Oxley and Daryl Runswick - possibly the only recording with this line-up. Note for vinyl-phobes there is a free download code with this LP! The quality, as ever with Gearbox is absolutely top notch.

• 2 weeks later...

miller_harr_different_101b.jpg

Although not strictly a re-issue I can heartily recommend this recent release from Ogun. It includes music from two different sessions; one from 1973 with Mike Osborne on alto, Nick Evans on trombone, Chris McGregor on piano, Harry Miller on bass and Louis Moholo on drums; and a second session live from the Chateauvallon Jazz Festival in July, 1979 with Mike, Harry and Louis plus Malcolm Griffiths on trombone, Mark Charig on trumpet and Keith Tippett on piano.

I see one of our members, Roger Farbey, is credited with providing Ogun with the 1973 tracks. Since there's no information on the CD cover about when and where they were recorded, can you enlighten us, Roger?