Will there be jazz fans 100 years from today?

Brownian Motion

It's not so much that I don't "care" about the future as it is, hey, you do the best you can while you're here and then...that's it. Out of your hands after that.

As for "will there be jazz fans in 100 years?", I'm kinda like, yeah, sure, why not, but I'm wondering what they'll be a fan of and why and all that stuff, as well as will there be bow ties and cardigans involved, and then I get like...I kinda hope not, if that's the way it's gonna be, but it probably will be, and nothing I can do about that, so yeah - what difference does it make?

I do hope there'll have been a Lester Bowie postage stamp by then, and that there's a national ballot a la Elvis, whether to go with Face-Painted Lester or Lab Coat Lester.

If we're not there by then, then again - what difference does it make?

My guess: There will still be a few music "fans" and a fraction of them will be interested in "jazz". Just like now. :ph34r:

Yup.

Yup II.

And of course it will make a difference, Jim -- how could it not? Stuff that's been shaped into art of some sort tends to give off signals, however erratically, for millenia, unless it's been pulverized into non-existence. Heck, I've been getting a big kick in recent months out of the novels of Anthony Trollope, and until I got to the age I am now, I thought or assumed (probably some of both) that Trollope's novels were as dull and stuffy as 19th Century fiction could possibly be. Now I'm picking up the signals that say otherwise, but they were always there, independent of my previous inability to detect them.

It ain't gonna make a difference to me, because I'll be dead in 100 years, god willing.

Like I said, do you best now, because this is your chance.

But am I going do be somewhere in 100 years where I can actually look in on life and....FRET and...PONDER about what kind of music and shit is going down?

god, I hope not!

It ain't gonna make a difference to me, because I'll be dead in 100 years, god willing.

It's not a matter of me or you. It's about the actual and potential life of "it." For example:

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requris.

nescio, sed fieri sentio ed excrucior.

I hate and I love. You ask me why.

I don't know, but I feel that agony.

-- Catullus

If you will come

I shall put out

new pillows for

you to rest on

-- Sappho

I was so happy

Believe me, I

prayed that that

night might be

doubled for us

-- Sappho

Here in these mountains, our farewell over,

sun sinking away, I close my brushwood gate.

Next spring, grasses will grow green again.

And you, my old friend -- will you be back too?

-- Wang Wei

All these things came to us from fairly ancient times, in the case of Sappho and Catullus by mere threads and shards of accident. As Sappho said in another poem:

You may forget but

Let me tell you

this: someone in

some future time

will think of us

i wouldnt bet on acoustic instruments being played in a hundred years, when the sounds can be generated.

we may be dinosaurs of sound.

I don't know, acoustic instruments seemed to have served classical music very well for hundreds of years.

Then, the next thing you know, they started splicing mag tape. Come out to show them...

Will there be jazz fans 100 years from today?, And if so, what will they be listening to?

Probably will be, but it'll be more curiosity/historical events, played by a bunch of decrepit old men and academia geeks ala Preservation Hall Band.

Edited by MoGrubb

It's not a matter of me or you. It's about the actual and potential life of "it.".... As Sappho said in another poem:

You may forget but

Let me tell you

this: someone in

some future time

will think of us

Well, good.

Like I said, I do my best now, and hopefully it does what I hope it will do over time, namely, not fuck anybody/anything up (at the least) or give them simple pointers/inspiration/whatever to keep getting on the goodfoot (at the best).

But it's not like I'm going to be getting a .....report back or something, nor is it likely that I'll have an opportunity to fix anything that goes wrong as a result of a misunderstanding. In fact, it's unlikely taht I'll be able to do too much of anything other than be dead in whatever state being dead actually is. Now, it might be a lot of things, this whole being dead thing, but of all the possibilities posited over the years, the one that I cannot buy into is that of the "proactive from beyond". So if I can't do anything about it once it gets here, no, for me, it doesn't matter.

Too often, we sentimenatlize and otherwise gradelloquently inflate our immortaility while inadvertantly trivializing, demeaning, and underplaying our mortal, temporal life. Seems to me that's kinda backasswards. Take care of/kick some physical & metaphysical ass NOW, which is where you DO have some control over direction and shit, and let tomorrow deal with it best as it can.

They will have cloned Bird, Bean, Prez and Hawk from random DNA samples (easier to find preserved DNA in reeds than from a trumpet mouthpiece or piano keys, so no Monk or Diz :( ). They will have cutting contests every noon in Central Park Zoo, which is where they live (as non-citizens of the state). This will be beamed directly into the cortex of DownBeat subscribers.