Complete Jack Johnson Sessions?

Tjazz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my major purchase in 2004 in John Mclaughlin Live in Contreaux Box (18 CDs from 70s to the end of the 20th Century). The JJ Box materials shows his artistic matury even at the beginning of his career. Both Boxes are fantastic. John is my top living guitarist and ranks equallly with Charlie and Wes. :D

• 2 months later...

I keep coming back to this box, more so than any in recent memory. Miles and McLaughlin are in such great form throughout (plus this significantly expands the amount of McLaughlin available from this era).

Sure, it is a bit tedious to listen to straight through. I loaded the whole thing on itunes and created a few of my own playlists. For example:

Willie Nelson [Take 3]

Johnny Bratton [Take 4]

Archie Moore

Go Ahead John [Part Two B]

Duran [Take 6]

Honky Tonk (Take 2)

Little High People [Take 8]

The Mask (Part One)

Ali [Take 3]

This makes it a little more digestable ...

I think this is one of the strongest of the Miles box sets, certainly on par with the best of the bunch. The only tunes I find lacking are the slow tunes with/by Hermeto Pascoal on disc #4.

"Willie Nelson" works quite well for me too - and I've also listened to all six takes, back to back, on a number of occasions. Good music to have on when making dinner, or folding laundry. :P

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The longbox version of this appears to be coming out on August 23rd.  So anybody who's interested in the metal spine box may want to consider picking this up fairly soon, as I'm guessing those will start to dry up quickly...

Still in yourmusic.com for $5.99 per disc X 7 discs

• 3 years later...