Concord Music Group Sale

Unk

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to make an order today. What do they do if you ordered 10 and one is unavailable - do you lose the free one?

Bertrand.

That happened to me (I ordered 10 and one was unavailable)--they still gave me one free.

I had a similar experience during the "Summer Blow Out": some items were unavailable, but Concord still applied the whole volume-based discount.

Just ordered 12. A perusal of the Fantasy Catalog shows that once I get these 12, added to everything I bought over the years, I've covered most of what I need in my life. Or so I think.

I'm slowly making a list of titles that eventually I might pick up if I can find them cheap or if they happen to float my way. Nothing that I can't live without.

The only one I missed out on is Dameron's Fontainebleau. His biographer told me to skip that one, but now I'm kind of sorry.

Sure glad I made two orders earlier in the Fall when they started having the discount (free shipping over $50 but no 10%). I got some stuff like Jenkins/Jordan/Timmons that I bet will soon be impossible to find.

Bertrand.

P.S.

1) Today, the default was not the free shipping - I had to switch options. Beware.

2) I can't believe some Booker Ervins are gone - glad I picked them up years ago.

Edited by bertrand

I just placed another order for ten discs and was shocked to find so many titles I had on my wish list not available. Here's how things panned out:

Jimmy Heath - Triple Threat

Richie Kamuca - West Coast Jazz

Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Plus

Gigi Gryce - The Rat Race Blues

Lem Winchester - Another Opus

Harold Land -Harold In The Land Of Jazz

Oliver Nelson - Meet Oliver Nelson

Phineas Newborn -The Great Jazz Piano Of Phineas Newborn, Jr.

Teddy Edwards and Howard McGhee -Together Again!

Junior Mance - Junior's Blues

Trying to put together an order for twofers earlier, I was astounded at some of the material that's disappearing. Not obscure material, but stuff I would have thought would have been good for perennial sales. Coleman Hawkins' "On broadway", several Jack McDuffs, "Gentle Jaws", Wes Montgomery's "Groove brothers" and so on.

I wondered what kind of business plan the company has.

But as I browsed around, I noticed a number of new artists on the site, so I checked up.

Michael Bolton

Paul McCartney

Angie Stone

Peabo Bryson

Will Downing

John Fogerty

Boney James

Dionne Warwick

All of these artists have had big hits in 2007 - including two at #1 on the R&B album chart. And they've all only made one or two albums for Concord - so they represent a new direction.

They also represent a BIG demand for warehouse space. Concord has never had to deal with this level of business before. Even Fantasy, in the heyday of CCR, wasn't moving as many albums as Concord now appears to be selling. So what does the future hold for jazz at Concord, since it's clearly not being subsidised by the popular material, as used to be the case at Fantasy?

MG

I'm not sure that all of the titles that have been disappearing from the site the past few days are necessarily gone for good. The site contains the following statement: "Please note, we only show store search results for releases currently in stock in the ConcordMusicGroup.com web store." I recommend checking any title of interest on Amazon, and if Amazon itself is still selling it on a current basis, and several Marketplace sellers are selling it at reasonable prices, it's probably not OOP (or at least not yet scarce). On the other hand, you'll find that some of the titles in this sale are being sold on Amazon only by a couple of Marketplace sellers--if any--and for extremely high prices. Those, of course, are the ones to grab from the Concord sale.

Speaking of which, a nice little CD that seems to be still available in the Concord sale, but is only available from a few Amazon Marketplace sellers for $47 USED and $90 new, is Ruth Price with Shelly Manne & His Men at the Manne-Hole:

OJCCD-1770-2.jpg

Track samples are available on Amazon. Very nice live recording of a rarely recorded singer (sort of a cross between Anita O'Day and June Christy) with wonderful backing by Manne and his Men. If I didn't already have it, I'd grab it.

I was tempted, but the free shipping applies to US orders only - $ 40 for Fedex shipping is a little steep ....

I only paid $27 for FedEx in my last order of 11 CDs. Hoping the same thing happens again. What I did was request USPS and they gave me FedEx. I was well pleased.

MG

• 2 weeks later...

Does Concord have pretty good customer service? My (10-CD) order contained Stan Getz's "Pure Getz" instead of the Junior Mance CD I ordered. I sent them an email and received an auto-reply indicating the offices were going to be closed until 1/2/08 and that they wouldn't be responding to emails until then. It's kind of a drag having to send things back. I'm sure the Getz CD is a good one and that I'd enjoy it but I already have a lot of Getz and would prefer the Jr. Mance. Does anyone here have experience with order mix-ups? Do they send a postage paid label for the return or ask that I pay postage and credit me?

I received a prompt reply to my email yesterday. They apologized for their error and indicated they would be sending me the Mance CD that same day. They also said that I should consider the "Pure Getz" (hybrid SACD) a late Christmas present! Pretty cool! Thanks Concord!

I don't suppose I can count on another happy mistake on my pending 7 disc order? ;)

Edited by mikelz777