Netflix.com

Dan Gould

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Netflix is great. Are you aware of the "Watch Instantly" feature? You can watch about 10% of their titles instantly on your computer, at no extra cost. Even better, if you also have a Tivo box, you can "Watch Instantly" on the TV that your Tivo is attached to. It's just amazing.

I have the 3 at a time for $18 a month. Their selection is huge and the service is excellent. I've gotten a few defective discs and they send a replacement immediately when you report it. I've been interested in foreign films and they have a great selection. I usually wind up watching about 10-12 movies a month, so it costs me $1.50-$1.80 a rental with no late fees. I have a Cecil Taylor coming up on my queue, so when I watch it I'll report back.

Well, you've all convinced me to give it a try. Mind you, I don't expect to get as much out of it as most, as I not only don't own a DVD player any more, but don't even own a TV. So the worth of the service over the two week trial period rests solely on what I can stream on my computer. I must admit, so far I'm impressed. They have a good variety of classics; I just finished watching The Bridge on the River Kwai. Maybe I'm finally adapting to modern life, but this is a lot more convenient than actually having a bunch of DVDs taking up space, not to mention the expense of rebuilding my DVD library at this point. We'll see. Naturally, the service sounds great if you can make use of the DVDs, but we'll see. Two weeks isn't much of a trial; I doubt I'll make my final decision at that point, but if it starts to get hard to find something to watch in a few months, I can always cancel I suppose. For now I'll just enjoy the movies they do have. One things for sure; as long as I'm finding things to watch, the price ($8.95; obviously I could care less about how many DVDs I can have at once!) beats the heck out of renting at Blockbuster.

If an amendment was quietly attached to a spending bill at 2 a.m. with Netflix effectively taking over the USPS plus administering the VA health care sys, I could probably support it.

Actually I think Netflix works so well because the USPS works well. Take it from someone who lived in a country where the mails really don't work (Canada). In fact I've found USPS more reliable the UPS or Fedex and obviously much cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

Added The Friends of Eddie Coyle to my list

:tophat:

I've just sent it back to Netflix - Peter Yates' direction still holds up very well - Mitchum does a great weary job and Peter Boyle is terrific.

I actually bought the Criterion. Probably my favorite Yates film, and one of my favorite Mitchum performances. Arguably the best of his later career.

We watched Rare Birds earlier this evening. Story line was a bit far fetched, but William Hurt, Molly Parker, and Andy Jones were well worth watching, and my wife enjoyed seeing Newfoundland where it was filmed. Her mother and father

were born there and she remembered seeing scenery like that in the film when she visited Newfoundland as a child.