Chet Baker - Pacific Jazz Recordings

king ubu

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, continuing the confusion - what about Playboys? There's a new digipack by one the Spanish thieves labels I think, with some claims about being the first release to get some details right and stuff... that's also part of the Art Pepper Mosaic box, but for daily convenience, a CD of it should be handy (I have the LP version of the Pepper set) - so again: what's the best way to get that one?

Glossy digipack from Jazztrack:

51Hm5%20aivOL._SS500_.jpg

1. For Minors Only

2. Minor Yours

3. Resonant Emotions

4. Tynan Time

5. Picture of Heath

6. For Miles and Miles

7. C.T.A.

That's the track listing for the EMI CD Playboys. However, from what I can gather, the Jazz Track edition has as a bonus the 5 tracks from The Route that had both Baker and Pepper. Both jazzmessengers.com and worldsrecords.com say so.

and less glossy Fresh Sound digipack (with those claims for perfection...):

51J1aNXr7lL._SS500_.jpg

1. Tynan Time (Art Pepper) 6:19

2. Little Girl (Henry Hyde) 4:16

3. Minor Yours (Art Pepper) 7:12

4. Sonny Boy (Jolson-DeSylva-Henderson-Brown) 3:56

5. The Route (Baker-Pepper-Kamuca) 5:04

6. For Minors Only (Jimmy Heath) 5:41

7. Minors Yours (Art Pepper) 6:41

8. Resonant Emotion (Jimmy Heath) 5:41

9. Tynan Time (Art Pepper) 5:31

10. Oicture Of Heath (Jimmy Heath) 6:43

11. For Miles And Miles (Jimmy Heath) 6:24

12. C.T.A (Jimmy Heath) 5:11

The bonus tracks are from "The Route", right?

1-5 : Chet Baker (tp), Art Pepper (as), Rchie kamuca (ts), Pete Joly (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b), Stan Levey (d). Arrangements by Art Pepper (1,3), and Jonny Mandel (2,4). Los Angeles, Forum Theatre, July 26 & 28, 1956. # 6-12 : Chet Baker (tp), Art Pepper (as), Phil Urso (ts), Carl Perkins (p), Curtis Counce (b), Lawrence Marable (d). Arrengements by Art Pepper (7,9), and Jimmy Heath (6,8,10,11,12). Los Angeles, Radio Recorders, November 20 & 21, 1956. NOTE: APART FROM THIS CD BEING THE ONLY COMPREHENSIVEELY UNIFIED RELEASE OF THE CELEBRATED CHET BAKER - ART PEPPER « PAYBOYS » COLLABORATIONS, IT IS PARTICULARLY NOTEWORTHY THAT, FOR FIRST TIME, THE FULL HISTORY OF THESE RECORDING, INCLUING THE CORRECT DATES ON WHICH THEY WERE MADE, IS REVEALED IN THE INSIDE LINER NOTES FOR THIS ALBUM. In the summer of 1956, the Los Angeles jazz scene was in for a treat with the comebacks of two of its local heroes, Chet Baker & Art Pepper, who had been long absent for very different reasons. The good impression Chet made on his European tour had brought him a lot of artistic recognition. His trumpet playing was more authoritative and Baker himsself appeared much more mature, no longer the « young man with a horn » but a musician now full of newmusical ideas. Art Pepper's comeback, after a long, drug-related incarceration, created a tremendous stir of excitement among jazz fans and musicians alike. Very soon, everyone agrred that «Pepper actually sounded better since his return ». Chet and Art were at their creative best back then, and these two sessions are the only recorded examples of both jazzmen playing together in the front line of a small group. These sides are a high point in their extensive discographie, and we have prodicer Dick Bock to thank for them.

(quoted from Amazon, but looks like Fresh Sound's own blurb)

Here we have the same 12 tracks as on the Jazz Track CD above. The only difference is the track order. The Jazz Track version begins with the original Playboys album and adds the tracks from The Route at the end. The Fresh Sound CD has the Playboys album as tracks 6-12 and starts with the The Route tracks as 1-5. One thing I noticed about the track timings is however that For Minors Only is almost two minutes longer than on the EMI CD. Dick Bock frequently edited tracks, and perhaps the Andorrans have found a longer version somewhere.

What the Andorrans have done on the two CDs above is to take the entire Playboys (possibly with a missing part of For Minors Only restored), and added the 5 Baker/Pepper tracks from The Route. The remaining 6 tracks from The Route which lack either Baker or Pepper or both have not been included.

and finally, what about The Route?

I have the old Blue Note/EMI/Pacific CD, there's a new one, using the usual cover - tracklist:

1. Halema

2. To Mickey's Memory

3. Slightly Above Moderate

4. Revelation

5. Something For Liza

6. Lucius Lu

7. Worrying The Life Out Of Me

8. Medium Rock

9. To Mickey's Memory (Alternate Take)

10. Jumpin' Off A Clef

11. Chippyin'

12. Pawnee Junction

13. Music To Dance By

14. Line For Lyons

Swinging Sweded said above:

The The Route CD includes three non-Pepper tracks. One is a Baker feature, one is a Kamuca feature, and one is a trio performance featuring pianist Pete Jolly. You get the entire session on that CD.

OK, but the tracks you are listing are for Chet Baker & Crew, not The Route. Chet Baker & Crew is different material and does not have any Pepper on it.

And I have some more music from that date on the "Young Chet" compilation... and now to confuse things a bit more, there's also this release by our Spanish Friends - another Fresh Sound digipack:

516Lg-pnzUL._SS500_.jpg

This a double disc:

Disk: 1

1. Tabu

2. Halema

3. To Mickey's Memory

4. Down

5. I Can't Get Started

6. Revelation

7. Lucius Lou

8. Worryin' the Life out of Me

9. Something for Liza

10. Medium Rock

11. Pawnee Junction

Disk: 2

1. Extra Mild

2. Chippyin'

3. It's Only a Paper Moon

4. Music to Dance By

5. Autumn in New York

6. Night on Bop Mountain

7. Slightly Above Moderate

8. Jumpin' off a Clef

9. Line for Lyons

10. Mickey's Memory [Alternate Take]

Going from memory, methinks the old Route CD plus Young Chet contained all of that music. What happened with the additional music in the later "generation" of BN/PacJazz/Capitol/EMI CD reissues?

All those 21 tracks on the Fresh Sound double CD are on either Chet Baker & Crew (not The Route) or Young Chet. The two EMI CDs do however have 26 tracks in total, since Young Chet has 5 additional tracks from 15 February 1954. Those 5 tracks are the same takes as on Chet Baker Sings but with Bill Perkins or Jimmy Giuffre overdubbed instead of Baker's vocals. Those instrumental versions first appeared on a World Pacific album called Pretty/Groovy.

So to conclude, all of the music discussed is on the EMI CDs Playboys (later reissued as Picture Of Heath), The Route, Young Chet and Chet Baker & Crew, with the possible exception of For Minors Only which may be in a restored longer version on the Andorran labels.

To add to the confusion there is actually yet another Andorran release, on Lone Hill Jazz this time, called Chet Baker & Art Pepper - Complete Recordings:

51JaBXo2-yL._SS500_.jpg

It is a double CD and has the complete The Route (including the tracks without Baker or/and Pepper) on CD 1, and Playboys on CD 2. Additionally it has a Chet Baker Big Band session with Pepper in the sax section as bonus on CD 1, and a 1957 Jack Sheldon session, which has both Baker and Pepper, as bonus on CD 2.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask again if something isn't clear.

Just one thing "Chet Baker Sings" is still the old CD only, older than "The Best of Chet Baker Sings", no?

It's actually quite a bit newer. The Best Of came out in 1989, and Chet Baker Sings in 1998. Thus I suppose the latter has better remastering.

Hm, was there an older CD of that, too? Not that it matters much, but I thought I'd seen older CDs or CDs from roughly the same time of "Chet Baker Sings"

And to answer this older question: Not that I know of. I checked AMG and Amazon and they indicate no earlier Western release either. It may have been out much earlier on Japanese CDs though.

God, this is chaotic! Thank you so much, Swinging Swede! And thanks for answering my questions even though I mixed up & Crew and The Route!

I guess thus best for me would be to get that 2CD Baker/Pepper set, as I have no versions of The Route and Playboys yet. As for & Crew I assume I'll stick to my old Pacific CDs.

Just picked up the Spanish 2CD set with The Route and Playboys included - thanks a lot again for your help, Swinging Swede!

What I still need now is the recent Pacific/EMI reissue of "Sextet", then I'll have it covered, though some with older CDs, but I don't care much about that (meaning: I'll keep "Young Chet" and the old "& Crew", the old "Big Band" CD, as well as "Grey December" and "Best of Chet Baker Sings" instead of "Baker Sings" and "Quartet & Strings" or what that recent EMI reissue was called again).

As for "& Crew", I assume for folks who don't have an EMI CD and "Young Chet", this one would be the way to go now:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/record.php?record_id=4847

c4847.jpg

At The Forum Theatre - Complete Recordings ( Double Cd Digipack Edition )

Chet Baker & Crew

Featuring: Chet Baker (tp), Phil Urso (ts), Bobby Timmons (p), Jimmy Bond (b), Peter Littman (d), Bill Loughbrough (chromatic tympani)

REFERENCE: FSRCD 457

BAR CODE: 8427328604574

PRICE: 18.25 €

This is not just another Chet Baker album. These two CDs contain, for the first time in one set, all the recordings he made with his quintet—the “crew”—under Dick Bock’s direction at the Los Angeles Forum Theatre in July 1956. On these sessions Chet plays throughout with even greater warmth, virility and maturity of conception than on previous recordings, but with the lyricism that was his forte intact. Urso’s earthy, strongly swinging tenor, out of the “brothers” school, also raises the ante. In the rhythm section Bobby Timmons, who adds a powerful solo voice on piano, is buoyantly funky, while Jimmy Bond and Peter Littman complete a grooving, effectively driving unit behind the soloists.

Tracklisting:

CD1:

1. Tabu 5:39

2. Halema 3:52

3. To Mickey’s Memory 5:14

4. Down 6:12

5. I Can’t Get Started 3:07

6. Revelation 3:58

7. Lucius Lou 5:35

8. Worryin’ The Life Out Of Me 2:59

9. Something For Liza 4:05

10. Medium Rock 5:30

11. Pawnee Junction 4:01

CD2:

1. Extra Mild 5:17

2. Chippyin’ 3:20

3. It’s Only A Paper Moon 4:45

4. Music To Dance By 4:35

5. Autumn In New York 2:08

6. A Night On Bop Mountain 4:18

7. Slightly Above Moderate 6:59

8. Jumpin’ Off A Clef 4:56

9. Line For Lyons 2:58

10. Mickey’s Memory Aternate 5:24

Chet Baker (tp), Phil Urso (ts), Bobby Timmons (p), Jimmy Bond (b), Peter Littman (d).

Note: Bill Loughbrough, chromatic tympani added on CD 1 #3 & 11; CD 2 #6 & 10; Chet Baker, vocals ob CD 2 # 9

Recorded Forum Theatre, Los Angeles,July 24,25 & 31, 1956.

• 1 year later...

I've negelected Chet Baker for too long. I've had and enjoyed his mid-60s Prestige dates and some other albums of the same period for a while, but I would like to explore his earlier albums on Pacific Jazz/World Pacific more.

Let it be said that I'm not too keen on boxed or multi-CD sets. I've got a pile of them, but I've realized that 99 percent of the time I tend to listen to individual albums, both on CD and LP. Baker's early recordings have been released in a rather scattered manner so some of you may advise against it, but I've found that I'm always more comfortable with "real" albums (as they were originally released).

For that reason I would welcome recommendations for Chet's PJ/WP albums. I'm not shy of hunting down LPs or Japanese releases, so feel free to recommend original albums (both with and without his singing) that would serve as a good starting point.

I believe this is more or less what came out on Pacific Jazz and World Pacific (plus a few later CD releases):

Gerry Mulligan - The Original Mulligan Quartet (Pacific Jazz PJ 1207) (1952-53)

Chet Baker - Grey December (Pacific Jazz CDP 7 97160-2) (1953)

Chet Baker And Stan Getz - West Coast Live (Pacific Jazz CDP 7243 8 35634-2) (1953-54)

The Trumpet Artistry Of Chet Baker (Pacific Jazz PJ 1206) (1953-54)

Chet Baker - Jazz At Ann Arbor (Pacific Jazz PJ 1203) (1954)

Chet Baker Sings (Pacific Jazz PJ 1222) (1953-56)

Chet Baker Sings And Plays With Bud Shank, Russ Freeman And Strings (Pacific Jazz PJ 1202) (1955)

Chet Baker/Art Pepper - The Route (Pacific Jazz CDP 7 92931-2) (1956)

Chet Baker And Crew (Pacific Jazz PJ 1224) (1956)

Chet Baker Big Band (Pacific Jazz PJ 1229) (1956)

Chet Baker/Art Pepper - Playboys (Pacific Jazz PJ 1234) (1956)

Russ Freeman And Chet Baker Quartet (Pacific Jazz PJ 1232) (1956)

Chet Baker/Bud Shank - Theme Music From "The James Dean Story" (World Pacific P 2005) (1956)

Gerry Mulligan - Reunion With Chet Baker (Pacific Jazz PJ 1241) (1957)

Chet Baker - Embraceable You (Pacific Jazz CDP 7243 8 31676-2-3) (1957)

Edited by Daniel A

I've negelected Chet Baker for too long. I've had and enjoyed his mid-60s Prestige dates and some other albums of the same period for a while, but I would like to explore his earlier albums on Pacific Jazz/World Pacific more.

Let it be said that I'm not too keen on boxed or multi-CD sets. I've got a pile of them, but I've realized that 99 percent of the time I tend to listen to individual albums, both on CD and LP. Baker's early recordings have been released in a rather scattered manner so some of you may advise against it, but I've found that I'm always more comfortable with "real" albums (as they were originally released).

For that reason I would welcome recommendations for Chet's PJ/WP albums. I'm not shy of hunting down LPs or Japanese releases, so feel free to recommend original albums (both with and without his singing) that would serve as a good starting point.

I believe this is more or less what came out on Pacific Jazz and World Pacific (plus a few later CD releases):

• Gerry Mulligan - The Original Mulligan Quartet (Pacific Jazz PJ 1207) (1952-53)

• Chet Baker - Grey December (Pacific Jazz CDP 7 97160-2) (1953)

• Chet Baker And Stan Getz - West Coast Live (Pacific Jazz CDP 7243 8 35634-2) (1953-54)

• The Trumpet Artistry Of Chet Baker (Pacific Jazz PJ 1206) (1953-54)

• Chet Baker - Jazz At Ann Arbor (Pacific Jazz PJ 1203) (1954)

• Chet Baker Sings (Pacific Jazz PJ 1222) (1953-56)

• Chet Baker Sings And Plays With Bud Shank, Russ Freeman And Strings (Pacific Jazz PJ 1202) (1955)

• Chet Baker/Art Pepper - The Route (Pacific Jazz CDP 7 92931-2) (1956)

• Chet Baker And Crew (Pacific Jazz PJ 1224) (1956)

• Chet Baker Big Band (Pacific Jazz PJ 1229) (1956)

• Chet Baker/Art Pepper - Playboys (Pacific Jazz PJ 1234) (1956)

• Russ Freeman And Chet Baker Quartet (Pacific Jazz PJ 1232) (1956)

• Chet Baker/Bud Shank - Theme Music From "The James Dean Story" (World Pacific P 2005) (1956)

• Gerry Mulligan - Reunion With Chet Baker (Pacific Jazz PJ 1241) (1957)

• Chet Baker - Embraceable You (Pacific Jazz CDP 7243 8 31676-2-3) (1957)

If I could only have three of these, they'd be Original Mulligan Quartet, The Route and Playboys. Extend that to another three and Crew, Big Band and Freeman/Baker Quartet would get in.

Not to get too far off the topic of the PJ Recordings but, to me, there is something about his singing and playing on the four Steeplechase albums (one studio and 3 live) that Chet did with just Doug Raney on guitar and NHOP on bass that,IMHO,really comes across with a lot of raw emotion. Not great singing but just filled with that "I've been through it all" emotion -- they are my favorite Chet records. The studio album is called "The Touch of Your Lips" - can't remember the names of the live recordings.

I heart Chet's 1950s singing. For awhile after that it's hit or miss, then it just gets depressing.

I've tried to like it...really have, but it just doesn't get there for me. He sings slightly flat, and his winsome tone, which some find affecting, I tend just to find maudlin. There's a later version of his signature tune, "My Funny Valentine," that I can listen to, but for the most part, nah.

gregmo

Slightly off thread but do you have the 3 cds of live material on PJ? A nice addition to a collection.

The Chet Baker-Russ Freeman quartet at its best!

Highly recommended!

Yes indeed! I just wanted to recommend these three to Daniel, as by hunting the original albums or reissues of original albums, you'd miss out on most of what's on these three fine discs!

Those two Pacific Jazz CDs should not be overlooked either...

61lsew3.jpg160541_1_f.jpg

Very nice West Coast dates!

Oh yeah, big thumbs up for these. Got to go with the Gerry's "original quartet" too in the WCC series, which is thankfully still in print. And lastly, anything he did with Art Pepper too should be scooped up, ie, Playboys (aka Pictures of Heath) Route etc.

Dare I say that there's a Lonehill CD compiling "The Route" and "Playboys", as well as the bits from the "Big Band" album w/Pepper, and some Jack Sheldon cuts w/Chet & Pepper?

I have the two albums as part of the Art Pepper Mosaic, too - very good stuff!

• 11 months later...

Got "Chet Baker Sings" today and can now dispose of the old "The Best of Chet Baker Sings" (for the anal ones: that one has 20 tracks, #1-8 and #15-20 are from "Chet Baker Sings", #9-14 are from "Chet Baker Sings and Plays").

Small discographical question: the old "Best of" CD says #1 "The Thrill Is Gone" is by Chet, Russ Freeman, Joe Mondragon and Shelly Manne and was recorded on October 27, 1953 at Radio Recorders (the same session also yielded three more tracks that were included on the West Coast Classic CD "Chet Baker Quartet Featuring Russ Freeman", they are "I Fall in Love Too Easily" and two takes of "Winter Wonderland", Chet only sings on "I Fall..." but plays trumpet on them all).

The later CD of "Chet Baker Sings" lumps that track "The Thrill Is Gone" with the February 15, 1954 session (with Freeman, Carson Smith and Bob Neel, that session yielded seven other tracks with vocals, all to be found on "Chet Baker Sings" as well as on "The Best of Chet Baker Sings").

What's the correct information there? Bruyninckx has the Oct. 27, 1953 date - not that it matters too much in the end, but it would be nice to know who's playing in the rhythm section. Also that Oct. 27, 1953 date was his first date which included singing.

Got "Chet Baker Sings" today and can now dispose of the old "The Best of Chet Baker Sings" (for the anal ones: that one has 20 tracks, #1-8 and #15-20 are from "Chet Baker Sings", #9-14 are from "Chet Baker Sings and Plays").

Small discographical question: the old "Best of" CD says #1 "The Thrill Is Gone" is by Chet, Russ Freeman, Joe Mondragon and Shelly Manne and was recorded on October 27, 1953 at Radio Recorders (the same session also yielded three more tracks that were included on the West Coast Classic CD "Chet Baker Quartet Featuring Russ Freeman", they are "I Fall in Love Too Easily" and two takes of "Winter Wonderland", Chet only sings on "I Fall..." but plays trumpet on them all).

The later CD of "Chet Baker Sings" lumps that track "The Thrill Is Gone" with the February 15, 1954 session (with Freeman, Carson Smith and Bob Neel, that session yielded seven other tracks with vocals, all to be found on "Chet Baker Sings" as well as on "The Best of Chet Baker Sings").

What's the correct information there? Bruyninckx has the Oct. 27, 1953 date - not that it matters too much in the end, but it would be nice to know who's playing in the rhythm section. Also that Oct. 27, 1953 date was his first date which included singing.

I'd have to dig around in my various CD's to see where each track appeared, but "The Thrill Is Gone" was recorded by each of those groups on the dates you mentioned. In other words, both are correct.

Okay, it looks like I may have mis-spoken. For my previous post, I was relying on my Chet Baker discography (Lerfeldt/Sjogren; 1985). I just pulled out the booklet from Mosaic 122 (quartets with Freeman- studio), which is the most recent printed discography I have, and TTIG is not shown for Feb 15, 1954, as it was in the 1985 discography. So, there appears to be an error here someplace.

Fwiw, the Mosaic discography lists the '53 recording as being released on the following:

LP 11 ("Chet Baker Sings" - 10 inch)

PJ 1222 ("Chet Baker Sings")

WP 1826 (doctored reissue of 1222)

Edited by Jim R

ubu, can you tell me exactly which issue this was (via a catalog number or a cover image)? There have been a few issues and reissues of this stuff.

With the knowledge that it may be incorrect (or... not?), I just thought I'd present the details from the Hans Henrik Lerfeldt / Thorbjorn Sjogren discography published in 1985.

Chet Baker Quartet:

Chet Baker (tp), Russ Freeman (p), Joe Mondragon (b), Shelly Manne (d)

LA; October 27, 1953:

PJ 310 The Thrill Is Gone (2:43).................... PacJa 615, EP4-9, LP 6, JWC 503, ST 20146, (J) K18P 9260, Vg(E) EPV 1032, LA 160122, Swing M 33334

The Thrill Is Gone (alt. take) (2:46)................ PacJa WP 1249, (J) K18P 9260

Issues: "Chet Baker Quartet" (LP 6; 10"), "Jazz West Coast" (JWC 503),"Gerry Mulligan & Chet Baker" (ST 20146 = reissue of PJ 75), "Pretty/Groovy" (WP 1249), "Cool Baker, vol. 2" (K18P 9260)

=====

Chet Baker Quartet:

Chet Baker (tp, vo), Russ Freeman (p), Carson Smith (b), Bob Neel (d)

LA; February 15, 1954:

PJ 365 The Thrill Is Gone (2:46).................... PacJa LP 11, PJ 1222, Sunset SUS 5180

Issues: "Chet Baker Sings" (PacJa LP 11, PJ 1222

=====

note: Unlike the Mosaic discography, Lerfeldt and Sjogren do not list an instrumental version of TTIG in their entry for October 3, 1953.

Edited by Jim R

Hm, so if there are indeed two versions (I've not had time to compare yet), I need to keep the "Best of" just because of that!

These are the two discs in question:

d14346wrxv1.jpgd0993353nf5.jpg

Chet Baker Sings and The Best of Chet Baker Sings (the latter carried a subtitle/title on the back of the cover and on the disc, but not on front and neither on the back tray, "Let's Get Lost").

EDIT: Oh, so there are even three takes! Thanks for that, will have to compare then... but I assume the "Best of" may indeed contain one of the earlier tracks then. How silly that they didn't add that version (or both of them) to a later reissue!

But the earlier tracks are said to be instrumental only? Then the vocal track would be the same one again... what a mess. Will have to look into it tomorrow!

Thanks a lot, Jim!

Edited by king ubu

Thanks, ubu. This is indeed confusing. I still suspect that the '85 discography may be wrong, but who knows for sure. It would help if somebody still had all the various vinyl issues and could listen and compare the tracks.

I don't have your "Chet Baker Sings" CD version, btw. I have the "Let's Get Lost" compilation, and a Japanese TOCJ version of "Chet Baker Sings" (uh, AND the Mosaic! :blink: )

I pulled out my CD copy of "Chet Baker Sings" (TOCJ 5951, a reissue of PJ 1222), and they show the '54 date with Smith and Neel for TTIG. Fwiw.

Ha- I was looking at the facsimile of the rear cover of PJ 1222 included on the Japanese CD booklet, and I suddenly realized that I still have my original LP copy of PJ 1222. The recording date and personnel were listed on the rear cover, and it lists the 1954 session. I wonder how and why the more recent discographies- including the usually reliable Mosaic- show the '53 session. I know somebody must have done some serious research on this already, but at this point I remain puzzled. :shrug[1]:

Edited by Jim R