Happy Hanukkah!

I'm not Jewish but my wife and kids are... which I guess makes me an honorary Jew. We lit the first candle last night, and tonight I hope to open my Hanukkah gift to myself: the Rhino San Francisco Sounds box. :g

Happy Hanukkah (no matter how you spell it) to all!

Edited by RDK

In our house when we were kids our "Happy Hannukah" string of cut-out letters spelling out the phrase, which we would tack up in the front hall, somehow lost its "ann" one year. This led my little sister to celebrate the holiday then and thereafter by saying, affectionately, "Happy Hukah" (as in "Hookah").

Also, I associate Hannukah with Howard Fast's young-adult novel about the Maccabean revolt, "My Glorious Brothers" (1948), which I read several times when young. A skilled, potently sentimental writer, Fast here (as in much of his fiction) was constructing a parable that was aimed in large part at furthering the cause/vision of the American Communist Party, which Fast had joined officially in 1944. Reading that book was enlightening, because while it certainly was a ripping yarn, full of shining heroes and dark villains and IIRC a downbeat ending that was true to the historical facts (the revolt eventually met with defeat when Rome weighed in), I did begin to detect the magnetic pull of Fast's underlying propagandistic intent, without at first even knowing enough about the world at large to have a clue about what he was up to there. But I could tell that I was reading two tales at once -- the exciting tale of the Maccabean revolt and a tale about the feelings that a right-minded person was supposed to develop, nurture, and apply because of the tale that he or she was reading. This was at once very seductive -- because it gave (and was very much meant to give) one the sense that one now had a chance to possess special knowledge, special righteousness, special powers, membership in a brotherhood of the unfailingly good and true -- and very creepy, for the same reasons just mentioned.