How many Conn series do you own?

connoisseur series500

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have as many as I could find - came to know the series only as late as 1997 or 1998.

Those I don't have: Whistle Stop, The Connection, Heavy Soul, A Slice of the Top, the Dodo Greene one

Those I have in Mosaics or as TOCJs or RVGs (and therefore did not pick up as Conns even if I could have): Basra, the Hills, the Parlans, The All Seeing Eye, Leeway, True Blue, The Connection

Conn LPs I have: Symphony for Improvisers, Congregation, Davis Cup, Ready for Freddie, Empty Foxhole

Then I have only picked up the Byrd/Watkins from the last batch (for 10$!) so far.

I'm actually no completist of this particular series, but this is the easiest way to get those sessions for me. Japanese stuff hardly ever shows up here, and if, it's horrendously priced (up to 30$ per CD).

ubu

I'm not a completist since I do plan on getting rid of that god awful Dodo Greene disc! 

Glad to take it off your hands! I passed this one up years ago, but I'm such an Ike fan (and Grant Green) that I want it anyway--neither one will be putting out new records again.

Just curious--why do you guys regard this as one of the worst Conns? Are her vocals really that bad?

Not that I listen to her disc that often, but I don't think Dodo's album is bad at all. She's no Ella, but her vocals are okay and the disc has some tasty playing by Ike Quebec and (iirc) Grant Green.

I'm with Ray on the Dodo disc. It's grown on me over the years, so I'm glad I didn't dump it after the first time I heard it! My reaction on first listen was something along the lines of "What the hell is this?" Of course, I was way more hard bop oriented when I first picked it up and It certainly does not fit the hard bop Blue Note mold by any means. I'll put it on every once in a while and do enjoy both the singing and music.

Dodo lives and sings weekly in the Buffalo, NY area where I live. I have not seen her in years, but I picked up a copy of her CD for my parents for Christmas. They took it to one of her shows and got it autographed. Dodo was thrilled that they took the time and interest in tracking down the recording.

(But Paul, you got rid of Sonny's Imperial Sessions? :o )

How come I'm the only one fessing up to dumping certain Conns?

Yeah, I just got sick of the songs awful quickly. They were short and seemed to lack meat. And that alto sounded screetchy after awhile.

I think that could be an initial impression because the more I listened to it, the more I loved that disc (how you cannot love Sonny Clark) and started really to appreciate what and how he was playing. They're recordings that really grew on me and by the time I had finished listening and I must listened for about a week, I couldn't believe how good they were.

BTW, I have 35. I think I may have gotten rid of one. I know I didn't buy some that I had as japanese versions, such as the Wilkerson.

Edited by Brad

I have 56, not including "Lift Every Voice," which I dumped (and I'm a huge Hill fan...).

Can't believe the stuff some of you have dumped! I would guess (hope) that you burned 'em before you let some of these go. "Some Other Stuff, " for instance, is one of my favorite sessions of its time, and quite rare even for a Conn. And I'll gladly take any copies of "Blues in Trinity" or "Basra" that someone doesn't want...

Here's an updated list of the Connoisseur Series. It's slightly different than Couw's list as it adds in the West Coast Classics Series. Feel free to post any corrections!

Series I (1994)

Ornette Coleman – The Empty Foxhole

Don Cherry – Symphony for Imrovisers

Cliff Jordan and John Gilmore – Blowing in from Chicago

Kenny Dorham – Whistle Stop

Freddie Redd – “The Connection”

Andrew Hill - Judgment

J.R. Monterose – J.R. Monterose

Bobby Hutcherson – Components

Wayne Shorter – The All-Seeing Eye

Johnny Griffin – The Congregation

Tina Brooks – True Blue

Baby Face Willette – Stop and Listen

Series II (1995)

Jackie McLean – Destination Out!

Grant Geen – Green Street

Grachan Moncur III – Some Other Stuff

Wayne Shorter - Schizophrenia

Andrew Hill – Smokestack

Lee Morgan - Leeway

Ike Quebec – Heavy Soul

Pete La Roca - Basra

Dizzy Reece – Blues in Trinity

Freddie Hubbard – Ready for Freddie

Lou Donaldson – Sunny Side Up

Walter Davis Jr. – Davis Cup

Series III (1995)

Lee Morgan – The Procrastinator

Grant Green - Solid

Wayne Shorter – Etcetera

Bobby Hutcherson - Patterns

Hank Mobley – A Slice of the Top

Series IV (1996)

Grant Green – Sunday Mornin’

Donald Byrd – Byrd in Flight

Here Comes Louis Smith

Johnny Coles – Little Johnny C

Jack Wilson – Something Personal

Paul Chambers – Paul Chambers Quintet

Ike Quebec – Soul Samba

Harold Vick – Steppin’ Out

John Jenkins – John Jenkins with Kenny Burrell

Jutta Hipp – Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims

Sonny Red – Out of the Blue

Dodo Greene – My Hour of Need

Series V- (1997)

Jackie McLean – Swing, Swang, Swingin’

Art Blakey – Orgy in Rhythm Vols. 1 & 2

Clifford Jordan – Cliff Craft

Sonny Clark – Dial S for Sonny

Horace Parlan – Us Three

Horace Silver – Further Explorations

Series VI (1997)

Freddie Hubbard – Goin’ Up

Bobby Hutcherson – Stick-up!

Booker Ervin – The In Between

Bennie Green – Soul Stirrin’

Jackie McLean – ‘Bout Soul

Baby Face Willette – Face to Face

Series VII (1998)

Freddie Redd – Shades of Redd

Horace Parlan – On the Spur of the Moment

Larry Young – Into Somethin’

Ike Quebec – It Might As Well Be Spring

Tina Brooks – Back to the Tracks

Fred Jackson – Hootin’ and Tootin’

Series VIII (1998)

Sonny Clark – Sonny’s Crib

Hank Mobley – Third Season

Lee Morgan - Infinity

Art Blakey - Africaine

Jimmy Smith – Softly as a Summer Breeze

Bobby Hutcherson - Medina/Spiral

Series IX (1998)

Julius Watkins – Julius Watkins Sextet Vols. 1 & 2

Sal Salvador Quintet / Kenton Presents...

Howard McGhee Vol. 1 / Introducing Kenny Drew

Howard McGhee Vol. 2 / Tal Farlow Quartet

Frank Foster/George Wallington - Showcase

Gil Mellé - The Complete Fifties Sessions

Series X (1998)

Chet Baker & Russ Freeman - Quartet with Russ Freeman

Cy Touff - His Octet & Quintet

Bill Perkins - On Stage

Jack Montrose - Sextet

Jack Sheldon - The Quartet & The Quintet

Bud Shank/Bill Perkins

Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton - Katanga

Earl Anderza - Outa Sight

Bob Brookmeyer - Traditionalism Revisited

Teddy Edwards - Sunset Eyes

Gerry Mulligan Quartet - Original Quartet with Chet Baker

Bud Shank & Bob Cooper - Blowin’ Country

Series XI (1999)

Grant Green – Blues for Lou

Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker

Jimmy Smith – Six Views of the Blues

Art Blakey – Drums Around The Corner

Lou Donaldson – A Man with a Horn

Dizzy Reece – Comin’ On

Various Artists – The Lost Sessions

Series XII (2000)

Andrew Hill – Grass Roots

Don Cherry – Complete Communion

Tina Brooks – Minor Move

Lee Morgan – Taru

Sonny Clark – My Conception

Jackie McLean – Vertigo

Kenny Burrell - Introducing Kenny Burrell

Stanley Turrentine with the 3 Sounds - The Complete Blue Hour Sesions

Sonny Criss - The Complete Imperial Sessions

Series XIII (2001)

Hank Mobley – Straight No Filter

Andrew Hill – Lift Every Voice

Booker Ervin – Structurally Sound

Grant Green – First Session

Don Wilkerson – The Complete Blue Note Sessions

George Braith – The Complete Blue Note Sessions

Series XIV (2002)

Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game

Freddie Redd – Redd’s Blues

Hank Mobley – Thinking of Home

Jackie McLean – Jacknife

Chick Corea – The Complete Is

Donald Byrd/Doug Watkins – The Complete Transition Sessions

Series XV (2003)

Andrew Hill: Passing Ships

Larry Young: Mothership

Charlie Rouse: Bossa Nova Bacchanal

Lee Morgan: Sonic Boom

Hank Mobley: The Flip

Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song

Edited by Late

Seriously David: you've probably got more generous ears than Steve and I have. You might find something of value there. I like Ike Quebec and Grant Green, but we don't hear much of either; or at least, neither of them stretch out at all.

It's a sad commentary that Steve has to break up his complete Conn collection simply because he cannot stand Dodo. This, by the way, from a guy who bought them in bulk from a local store and palmed one off on me! ;):lol:

I know that Mark Sheldon also has a complete Conn collection. Apparently, he was willing to put up with Dodo, which was one of his last acquisitions. Why so hard to find this disc? People must be clinging to them.

I have 54 of these, not including the West Coast Classics or CD's in other formats. :blink: I guess I hadn't really thought about how many of these I'd purchased. I had the same reaction when I counted up all the RVG's I have in the other thread and found that I had 70 or so. Blue Note's got me by the left testicle. :rolleyes:

I bought 'em all, due to the raves from you guys (and gals) on that "other" board. I admit there are a few I could do without (I never got into "Some Other Stuff" or Ornette) but I'm reluctant to part with any. The Conn and the Rare Goove series are two that I dearly love and wouldn't hesitate to buy whatever comes out.

On the Verve side I have found the LPR series to be very uneven but I loved the "elite" series. (I say loved, but is the series really dead? Will they be coming out with more?)

--Claypone

Another thumbs up for the Verve Elites. I really wish they'd bring this series back. I bought most of them because I liked the packaging and the sound of the first one I bought (Alan Shorter). I had never heard of most of the artists, so it was a great way for me to discover new music. The RVG, Conn and LPR series serve the same purpose for me now. I like the LPR series a lot - tons of new music that I've never heard before, that I'd probably never have paid attention to otherwise. :tup

The Elite series was sort of like Verve's version of the Connoisseur series - more obscure titles from the catalog. Like the Conns, there were several runs, but then they ended up folding the more obscure titles into their LP sleeve and other reissue series, which has meant that they do less and less obscure stuff, just a few mixed in here and there with the Getz, Gillespie, etc "mainstays" of their catalog (not that those aren't often excellent, but still...). For example, it's probable the recent Billy Mitchell reissue would have been an Elite. Also like the Conns, often they'd throw in as a bonus other obscure/unreleased stuff.

The sound quality was uniformly excellent, and the packaging (well, except for the first few which came in a bizarre peek-a-boo slipcase that was totally unnecessary) was quite nice, with repros of the original artwork and labels as well as new graphics. The liners were often quite good too; original notes were always included, but they invariably added new stuff, often including things like interviews with the leader or a key player from the session in addition to the usual historical material. If it sounds like I was really fond of this series, it's because I was.

I BELIEVE this is a full listing (in no particular order) - the first run were issued in September 1997 and the last in August 2000:

Billy Bauer - PLECTRIST

INTRODUCING JIMMY CLEVELAND AND HIS ALL STARS

LISTEN TO ART FARMER AND THE ORCHESTRA

Dizzy Gillespie - PERCEPTIONS (great J.J. Johnson here)

Illinois Jacquet - THE KID AND THE BRUTE (w/ Ben Webster)

Hank Jones - URBANITY

Yusef Lateef - BEFORE DAWN (stands nicely with his roughly contemporary Savoys)

Meade Lux Lewis - CAT HOUSE PIANO

Paul Quinichette - THE VICE PRES

Alan Shorter - ORGASM

Jack Teagarden - THINK WELL OF ME

CLARK TERRY

Dinah Washington - THE BEST IN BLUES

THIS IS TAL FARLOW

Sonny Stitt - ONLY THE BLUES

Harry Edison - THE SWINGER/MR. SWING (2 CD set)(Jimmy Forrest is basically co-leader)

Lee Konitz - MOTION (3 CD version - as opposed to the replication of the original LP only for the more recent edition)

JOHNNY SMITH

The Jazztet - HERE AND NOW

Lawrence Brown - SLIDE TROMBONE

Art Blakey - BLAKEY (w/a bonus date led by Joe Gordon)

Ray Brown - BASS HIT!

Roy Eldridge - SWINGIN' ON THE TOWN

The Jones Brothers - KEEPIN' UP WITH THE JONESES (originally on MGM)

Walt Dickerson - IMPRESSIONS ON A PATCH OF BLUE (ditto)

Buddy DeFranco/Oscar Peterson - THE GEORGE GERSHWIN SONGBOOK

Modern Jazz Society - A CONCERT OF CONTEMPORARY MUSIC (John Lewis, Getz, Lucky Thompson, and others)

HERB ELLIS MEETS JIMMY GIUFFRE (some nice Art Pepper on this one too)

George Russell Sextet - AT THE FIVE SPOT

Wynton Kelly - IT'S ALL RIGHT!

Stan Getz and the Clarke-Boland Big Band - CHANGE OF SCENES

Louie Bellson - SKIN DEEP

Lalo Schifrin - DISSECTION AND RECONSTRUCTION OF MUSIC FROM THE PAST AS PERFORMED BY THE INMATES...(and it just keeps on going, you have to see the title to believe it, this is not a joke!)

Ed Thigpen - OUT OF THE STORM (w/Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Kenny Burrell)

Various - ELITE EDITION COLLECTORS' DISC

One last thing to mention is that, unlike the Conns, it seems these were often given a very spotty distribution...often unless you snagged them in the first few months after issue, they disappeared, and in fact a few (the Lalo Schifrin and Johnny Smith come to mind) were some of the harder CDs I've ever tried to track down. As all are out of print now, you may have a task ahead of you to locate some of these if you're interested.

Edited by DrJ