a last goodbye we never could say

So I too am in the sad situation to report the departure of our beloved little cat.

She was black as the night, wild as... a cat, and I had fallen for her charms about 5 or 6 ago, and for about 5 years, she was offered a home in our place.

She had a good life here (not so sure about the years before...), and she grew to be 12 or 13 years old. Alas, she still was stupid enough not to watch the cars, and was knocked over on December 30th, found and delivered to the veterinary hospital of Zurich, where she died.

Seems she was suffering for most of a night and most of the following day... nothing I can do by now, we didn't get a chance to see her, and it was by accident only that we found out what happened, just as we were putting up some notes about our missing cat. At least we know by now, but it's sad not to be able to say a last goodbye*!

And I don't even have a photo to share... just one on my cell, but I can't hook it up with my notebook, for whatever stupid technical reason.

*) I was with my girlfriend when we had to put her most beloved cat to sleep, a beautiful red/tigred male cat I grew to love, too, and I was with my mother when we had to put our family dog (I picked him!) of 13 years to sleep two years ago... both were very sad events, but at least we got a chance to see them a last time and we were sure there was no suffering involved - not so this time, alas.

Flurin, so sorry to hear that. There have been far too much death in my life this year, and sorry to hear of this infiltration into yours.

He loved you, the little guy, and he knows how you feel about him. I lost my good old tom cat Spot years and years ago. . . . I still miss him. I have my lovely tortoiseshell Marge still, over seventeen years old. . . . In time I bet you have another cat. They make such great companions.

We haven't given any thought if we'll want another cat... but I'd sure like to!

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

Lon, it was a she... I thought that was clear from my first post, but I gather the word "cat" is feminine in english (a distinction I don't make, as there's just one article in english... in german or french, the article tells if it's feminin or masculin, so it's hardly possible to know that about english nouns for me.)

My condolences, Flurin. Our cat died a couple of years ago at age 14 from feline diabetes. Always tough to lose a pet.

Incidentally, nouns don't have a gender in English. The word "cat" is neither masculine nor feminine, you just say "he" or "she" depending on the gender of the individual animal.

Flurin,

Add my condolences among the well wishers here....I am so very sorry for your loss.

Cats are wonderful creatures. It has been my experience that the love they give us is often more precious than what we might receive from humans.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Tim

Damn, Flurin, this is so sad. I'm glad you found out for sure, at least, but I know how much it hurts to have not been there to say goodbye. I'm afraid my own cat story is too recent to assure you that time heals, though I know it's true. You have my best wishes, and I'm sure she was grateful to have found a good home in her life.

Oh Flurin, I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. The loss of a pet is traumatic, but especially so when you don't get the chance to say good-bye. I hope that in time your pain will be replaced by the precious memories of the time you spent with her. Please give our best to your girlfriend, also.

Sorry to hear this Flurin, sadly this problem with cats getting hit by cars seems to be getting worse thanks to some of the idiots who are let loose on our roads.

I have two cats opposite and the neighbours have put up signs on the very quiet track road which runs past as a warning to slow down because of the cats. So far they seem to be fine, thank goodness.

Yeah well you know, the irony is that behind our house, there's nothing but a hill with some trees and a bit farther a little wineyard... (I bet you couldn't drink what they grow there... must be sour as hell!) - the road she was run over on is just the direction where never, not once, we saw her (we come home from there daily) and didn't think she'd go there at all... it's just too bad...

• 4 weeks later...