Booker Ervin - Gumbo

Tom 1960

I second that!

The Booker Ervin session with Larry Young doesn't live up to the expectations one might have ....

The Gumbo session was also reissued on a British BGP CD coupled with "Pony Poindexter Plays The Big Ones" (the vocal tracks on the CD above were recorded at that session) - a nice quartet session that was put down by critics at the time for its use of pop tunes, but Pony plays them nicely - nothing earthshattering, but a good spirited session.

Pony is, er, was my man.

Read his autobiography and you'll know.

Okay, I'm overstating things a bit.

Better Pony on Pony's Express

http://www.amazon.com/Ponys-Express-Pony-P...8022&sr=8-2]

But it through the Organissimo/Amazon link.

...unless you're just a Booker Ervin hound, which is cool too.

Edited by BeBop

Gumbo, the lp, was a Poindexter date with Booker as sideman. This cd adds a couple unissued tracks from an earlier session by Pony and 4 (?) tracks from an aborted Larry Young date with Booker. Fairly incoherent program of interesting music.

I thought about this a while before posting.

The only thing I can say is that I can't imagine Ervin and Larry sounding right together. Larry's records are pretty "clean" IMO and that's why Joe Henderson, Sam Rivers and Herbert Morgan fit perfectly with his approach.

I thought about this a while before posting.

The only thing I can say is that I can't imagine Ervin and Larry sounding right together. Larry's records are pretty "clean" IMO and that's why Joe Henderson, Sam Rivers and Herbert Morgan fit perfectly with his approach.

a much better formulation of what i had thought... (similar for Booker Ervin with Andrew Hill...?)

I don't see the Young/Ervin session as mediocre at all. But I'm not expecting (and wouldn't want) anything earthshattering from Larry at that period - Young was playing dirty, funky, soul jazz at the time. Booker's style plays well into that. OK, it's not as satisfying as Young's work with Jimmy Forrest or Bill Leslie, but I like it a LOT more than most of his work for Blue Note.

So, shoot me :)

MG

Interesting posts here. I'll give it some thought for the time being whether to make a purchase or not. I've been buying alot of music as of late and it wouldn't kill me to hold off for now. I'm still playing catch up with my latest batch of cds from the Concord Records sale. The rational side of my brain talking here. :lol: