Dennis Irwin Benefit..

Larry Kart

Just got this email from composer-arranger-bandleader Anita Brown (Ted Brown's daughter):

Dear Friends,

This concerns a long-time friend of mine, and of most of you, who is a pillar in the International Jazz Community. My father's most recent CD includes Dennis' fine work (hear clips on iTunes thru my LINKS page) and I have had the pleasure of spending countless hours with him at The Village Vanguard after gigs. He has taught and inspired me so very much in business, music and spirituality.

Dennis is truly a gem; a beautiful and spiritual person in addition to one of the finest bass players in the world. Learning of his illness just before Christmas was devastating to me.

Please read below. I hope you can find the time and the means to help in some way. Every little bit helps. For those of you who don't know what "Sixteen As One Music" is, it is The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra's non-profit business name. Checks made payable to "Sixteen As One Music" are therefore tax deductible and being handled by The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra's Executive Board, FYI.

With heartfelt thanks,

Anita Brown and

Anita Brown Jazz Orchestra

Forwarded Message:

Dear Friends and Associates;

This email is in regards to Dennis Irwin, the beloved and world famous bass player whom we all know well. If you haven't already heard, Dennis is very seriously ill and will be leaving New York City quite soon to seek other treatments. Right now he needs our support both spiritually and financially.

We will be having a benefit event for him at Smalls Jazz Club on Sunday, February 3rd after the Super Bowl. Even though this may not be the most convenient date, time is of the essence and we cannot wait here. We will begin at 10:00 PM and continue until 4:00 AM at Smalls. Everyone is invited to come down and participate by playing and also by making a contribution. A box will be set up so that the donations will be discreet and anonymous. Everything collected will go directly to Dennis. There will be no cover charge for this event but you'll be expected to contribute something, whatever's within your means. Smalls will be donating a portion of bar sales to Dennis as well (so come and drink!).

Once again, the date is Sunday night, February 3rd starting at 10:00 PM, after the Super Bowl.

Smalls is located at 183 West 10th street at 7th Avenue, just down the street from the Village Vanguard. Our website is www.smallsjazzclub.com <http://www.smallsjazzclub.com/

> . Any further questions or inquires please send an email to info@smallsjazzclub.com.

If you cannot come and would like to make a tax deductible donation to Dennis, send a check payable to Sixteen As One Music, Inc to:

Sixteen As One Music, Inc

888-C Eighth Ave. #160

New York, NY 10019

On the memo line write: Dennis Irwin.

Please come out, bring your instruments and play and show your support for Dennis Irwin.

Thank you so much!

Smalls Jazz Club

PS: Please forward this email to anyone in your email list you think would be interested.

Anyone privy to what his illness is?

Don't know for sure, but I would guess some form of cancer. Anita said in an email to me last night that it (whatever "it" is) was discovered as the result of bouts of severe back pain, but her tone indicated that the back pain was a symptom and what was causing it was not in that league at all. I get the feeling that time is of the essence, which suggests an expensive surgical option, If so, I suppose that's goodish news because there's a lot of stuff they can't operate on.

Got this bulletin on myspace from Larry goldings and thought I'd post it here.. Saw him a few times with Art Blakey in the 70's..

Subject: Dennis Irwin Benefit February 3rd

Dear Friends and Associates;This email is in regards to Dennis Irwin, the beloved and world famous bass player whom we all know well. If you haven't already heard, Dennis is very seriously ill and will be leaving New York City quite soon to seek other treatments. Right now he needs our support both spiritually and financially.We will be having a benefit event for him at Smalls Jazz Club on Sunday, February 3rd after the Super Bowl. Even though this may not be the most convenient date, time is of the essence and we cannot wait here. We will begin at 10:00 PM and continue until 4:00 AM at Smalls. Everyone is invited to come down and participate by playing and also by making a contribution. A box will be set up so that the donations will be discreet and anonymous. Everything collected will go directly to Dennis. There will be no cover charge for this event but you'll be expected to contribute something, whatever's within your means. Smalls will be donating a portion of bar sales to Dennis as well (so come and drink!).Once again, the date is Sunday night, February 3rd starting at 10:00 PM, after the Super Bowl. Smalls is located at 183 West 10th street at 7th avenue, just down the street from the Village Vanguard. Our website is www.smallsjazzclub.com. Any further questions or inquires please send an email to info@smallsjazzclub.com. If you cannot come and would like to make a tax deductible donation to Dennis, send a check payable to Sixteen As One Music, Inc to:Sixteen As One Music, Inc

888-C Eighth Ave. #160

New York, NY 10019On the memo line write: Dennis Irwin.Please come out, bring your instruments and play and show your support for Dennis Irwin.Thank you so much!Smalls Jazz ClubPS: Please forward this email to anyone in your email list you think would be interested.

Got this bulletin on myspace from Larry goldings and thought I'd post it here.. Saw him a few times with Art Blakey in the 70's..

Subject: Dennis Irwin Benefit February 3rd

Dear Friends and Associates;This email is in regards to Dennis Irwin, the beloved and world famous bass player whom we all know well. If you haven't already heard, Dennis is very seriously ill and will be leaving New York City quite soon to seek other treatments. Right now he needs our support both spiritually and financially.We will be having a benefit event for him at Smalls Jazz Club on Sunday, February 3rd after the Super Bowl. Even though this may not be the most convenient date, time is of the essence and we cannot wait here. We will begin at 10:00 PM and continue until 4:00 AM at Smalls. Everyone is invited to come down and participate by playing and also by making a contribution. A box will be set up so that the donations will be discreet and anonymous. Everything collected will go directly to Dennis. There will be no cover charge for this event but you'll be expected to contribute something, whatever's within your means. Smalls will be donating a portion of bar sales to Dennis as well (so come and drink!).Once again, the date is Sunday night, February 3rd starting at 10:00 PM, after the Super Bowl. Smalls is located at 183 West 10th street at 7th avenue, just down the street from the Village Vanguard. Our website is www.smallsjazzclub.com. Any further questions or inquires please send an email to info@smallsjazzclub.com. If you cannot come and would like to make a tax deductible donation to Dennis, send a check payable to Sixteen As One Music, Inc to:Sixteen As One Music, Inc

888-C Eighth Ave. #160

New York, NY 10019On the memo line write: Dennis Irwin.Please come out, bring your instruments and play and show your support for Dennis Irwin.Thank you so much!Smalls Jazz ClubPS: Please forward this email to anyone in your email list you think would be interested.

I'm very sorry to hear that. He's a terrific player.

• 1 month later...

This came across the desk. Quote:

Dear Friends,

As you may have heard, the brilliantly swinging bassist and beautiful

human being, Dennis Irwin, died yesterday (March 10, 2008). I went to

school with Dennis at North Texas State in the early 1970s. And after

those days, I saw him from time to time over the years. And each time,

without fail, he'd always be so warm and friendly.

When my, son, Matt Brewer (bassist now with Greg Osby, Gonzalo

Rubalcaba, and others) began his journey as a jazz musician, Dennis

became one of his most supportive elders. This meant a lot to me as I

had always loved the kind of person Dennis was (along with the way he

played the bass with such heart and soul).

And Matt, too, loved the way Dennis played. He got a private lesson

from Dennis one time. And Dennis later told me that he had a hard time

accepting money from us for the lesson because of Matt's already

superb ability.

But, Matt would never have accepted that. His one lesson with Dennis

meant so much to him - more than I think Dennis ever really knew, even

though I told him so.

But, that's how it is with the great ones, isn't it? They mean so much

to us and yet seem so surprised when we tell them how much we honor

and appreciate them.

So, I'll say it again:

Thank you forever and ever, Dennis Irwin. Thank you for inspiring my

son, Matt, and for encouraging him to live his dream. He really IS

living it now, Dennis - thanks to people like you.

With deepest respect and gratitude,

Paul

P. S. To see a tribute to Dennis go here:

--

Dr. Paul Brewer

Director of Bands

Aquinas College

Grand Rapids, Michigan

http://www.aquinas.edu/music/faculty.html

(end quote)

This came across the desk. Quote:

Dear Friends,

As you may have heard, the brilliantly swinging bassist and beautiful

human being, Dennis Irwin, died yesterday (March 10, 2008). I went to

school with Dennis at North Texas State in the early 1970s. And after

those days, I saw him from time to time over the years. And each time,

without fail, he'd always be so warm and friendly.

When my, son, Matt Brewer (bassist now with Greg Osby, Gonzalo

Rubalcaba, and others) began his journey as a jazz musician, Dennis

became one of his most supportive elders. This meant a lot to me as I

had always loved the kind of person Dennis was (along with the way he

played the bass with such heart and soul).

And Matt, too, loved the way Dennis played. He got a private lesson

from Dennis one time. And Dennis later told me that he had a hard time

accepting money from us for the lesson because of Matt's already

superb ability.

But, Matt would never have accepted that. His one lesson with Dennis

meant so much to him - more than I think Dennis ever really knew, even

though I told him so.

But, that's how it is with the great ones, isn't it? They mean so much

to us and yet seem so surprised when we tell them how much we honor

and appreciate them.

So, I'll say it again:

Thank you forever and ever, Dennis Irwin. Thank you for inspiring my

son, Matt, and for encouraging him to live his dream. He really IS

living it now, Dennis - thanks to people like you.

With deepest respect and gratitude,

Paul

P. S. To see a tribute to Dennis go here:

--

Dr. Paul Brewer

Director of Bands

Aquinas College

Grand Rapids, Michigan

http://www.aquinas.edu/music/faculty.html

(end quote)

Sad news... I never knew him but heard him several times with Art Blakey in the 70's...

Larry (and all).l Here's the review. from that 1988 gig. I copied it from Nexis...

JOHNNY GRIFFIN SWINGS SAX AND GIVES JAZZ A LITTLE KICK

BYLINE: By Larry Kart, Entertainment writer.

SECTION: CHICAGOLAND; Pg. 9; ZONE: C

LENGTH: 502 words

Writers about jazz often are on the lookout for images that will help to explain the music's magical methods of creation. And Wednesday night, listening to an exceptional set from tenor saxophonist Johnny Griffin, I think I came up with a pretty good parallel.

Imagine that you're walking along at a steady pace and kicking a stone as you go-the idea being to keep the stone on the sidewalk, to kick it in such a way that you break stride as seldom as possible, and then, once you begin feeling foxy, to throw in some sly, variant kicks that will test your imagination and physical grace.

Those who have engaged in that homemade little game may recall that when things are going well, the stone seems to take on a life of its own-as though its progress down the sidewalk were a thoughtfully exploratory act, and that each time your shoe came into contact with it, the stone would relay news about what it had seen and felt since the last time you'd given it some impetus.

Well, the making of a jazz solo has something in common with that process-as Griffin and the rest of his fine band (pianist Michael Weiss, bassist Dennis Irwin and drummer Kenny Washington) demonstrated with particular flair on their version of Billy Strayhorn's moody "Isfahan."

Originally part of Duke Ellington's "Far East Suite," the piece was still rather new to Griffin-which is why he had the sheet music for "Isfahan" in front of him and why he let Weiss take the first solo.

But as the pianist's ideas unfolded with an appropriate Ellington- Strayhorn blend of romance and wit, one could detect Griffin mapping out the path he would follow during his own chorus-the way a golfer is said to "go to school" on the putt of the man who shoots before him. Or, to return to our original image, Weiss' solo line was serving as Griffin's stone- showing him what the road ahead was like and proposing attractive variations on the more obvious choices of route.

That something of that sort was going on could be detected all over Griffin's face, as an especially nice Weiss idea led the leader to raise his eyebrows in bemused pleasure and inspired a preparatory rattle of fingers on saxophone keys. And with what Weiss had played in mind, one could hear how the stone had been neatly transferred from one man to another, with each man giving it his personal stride and spin.

Before this, Griffin had begun with an informal Charlie Parker tribute- playing two of Parker's favorite tunes, "Just Friends" and "If I Should Lose You," with a darting grace that was exceptional even by Griffin's high standards.

Thelonious Monk's "Coming on the Hudson" was next-written when Griffin was a member of Monk's band, and a piece he plays so well that Monk probably wrote it for him. At once bouncy and mournful, a mood that the whole band evoked, "Hudson" was balanced off by the strains of "Limehouse Blues"-brisk, happy, not a blues at all and the perfect ending to a perfect set.

Thanks, Mark; I had totally forgotten what I said there. In fact, IIRC that was one of the last jazz reviews I wrote for the Trib. Some time in the spring of '88 I became an editor in the Books section, then became editor of the Books section, then an editor elsewhere in the paper, then took a buyout offer and left in April 2002.

Thelonious Monk's "Coming on the Hudson" was next-written when Griffin was a member of Monk's band, and a piece he plays so well that Monk probably wrote it for him

I had never considered this before, and have no idea if it is in fact accurate, but...yeah!

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup