MPS CD Reissues

hepcat1950

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Billy Harper.

Harper's been selling his MPS album through his fan club, though if you're just agreeing--it is, indeed, the ****.

I'm not even familiar with that album! Anyone have a link for the fan club, where I can get the CD? thx.

And the Billy Harper.

Harper's been selling his MPS album through his fan club, though if you're just agreeing--it is, indeed, the ****.

I'm not even familiar with that album! Anyone have a link for the fan club, where I can get the CD? thx.

Search through www.billyharper.com--it will take you to the fan club (see image on the bottom of the page).

And the Billy Harper.

Search through www.billyharper.com--it will take you to the fan club (see image on the bottom of the page).

They show it in the discography, but don't have a link to buy it like they do with most of his titles. Do we know for sure if this has been out on CD? It's the only title by him I don't own with the exception of the Live in Poland DVD, which scares me because of the choral stuff, orchestra, etc.

And the Billy Harper.

They show it in the discography, but don't have a link to buy it like they do with most of his titles. Do we know for sure if this has been out on CD? It's the only title by him I don't own with the exception of the Live in Poland DVD, which scares me because of the choral stuff, orchestra, etc.

I own a CD copy and it has a little watermark address for the Billy Harper fan club. Billy actually talks to his audience during gigs (I mean, from the stage) and I asked him about the fact that "Trying to Make Heaven My Home" was, at the time, not on the website; like a week later it popped up on there. Maybe they sold out? It's certainly one of his best albums...

• 9 months later...

So, has anyone ordered anything from "Promising Music", or made any "requests" for that matter? I notice that some of the titles in the wish list are in print from Universal, so I wonder why those have been made available for lease-out in the first place. That said, there are lots of good stuff in the catalogue that should get out, and this initiative looks promising.

Edited by Daniel A

So, has anyone ordered anything from "Promising Music", or made any "requests" for that matter? I notice that some of the titles in the wish list are in print from Universal, so I wonder why those have been made available for lease-out in the first place. That said, there are lots of good stuff in the catalogue that should get out, and this initiative looks promising.

I got the Sugercane Harris through DeepDiscount, and am delighted with all aspects of it.

Edited by felser

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the Barney Wilen (caiman through amazon, I think amazon.fr it was) - well done, but much too expensive in local stores (at least 30$), which is annyoing... more often releases from closeby (Italy - CAM for instance, Germany - ECM, these MPS ones, ACT etc, or France - Dreyfus, Label Bleu) cost way more than US releases (though of course those are fabricated in the EU most often... but even orders from amazon.com often are cheaper. Freaking madness!

• 2 weeks later...

Three more reissues are slated for January. Perhaps the choices could have been more daring, but the Jan Hammer album (recorded in 1968) has its merits. I have not heard the Stu Goldberg album, though.

JAN HAMMER TRIO Maliny Maliny

promising music / MPS / P441092

Price: 18.00 € (incl. 19 % VAT, where applicable)

JAN HAMMER - piano, organ

GEORGE (JIRI) MRAZ - el-bass

CEES SEE - drums

eace19e055d8f955e9f2e72f82b67590.jpg

STU GOLDBERGEye Of The Beholder

promising music / MPS / P441112

STU GOLDBERG - piano

JIM LACEFIELD - acoustic bass

DAVE CRIGGER - drums

KEN GOLDBERG - tenor sax, flute, piccolo

LEE PASTORA - congas, bongos

DOUG CAMERON - 1st violin, concertmaster

CLAYTON HASLOP - 2nd violin

JIMBO ROSS - viola

DAN SMITH - cello

77de8f7edefe6d5fa2f992645efd152f.jpg

ALPHONSE MOUZONVirtue

promising music / MPS / P441102

Alphonse Mouzon - drums, perc, keyb, voc, arr

Gary Bartz - soprano & alto sax

Stu Goldberg - keyboards

Welton Gite - el-bass

760b3845c2c682b34e73ebcec4e8f745.jpg

I was watching the DVD of that 'Jazzin' The Black Forest' a couple of days ago. Well worth checking out - some nice home-movie footage of the recordings with Oscar P. and clips of Dave Pike, Manfred Schoof, Volker Kriegel, Jean-Luc Ponty, Eberhard Weber, Charlie Mariano etc. Also a good overview of the recording studio setup (in a disused noodle factory !)

• 4 months later...

Found a used copy of John Tchicai's Afrodisiaca the other day, and was very impressed with the production. and notes. The music itself is quite excellent (this is my first Tchicai leader date) and I was very impressed, considering that I had really no idea what I was in store for.

Found a used copy of John Tchicai's Afrodisiaca the other day, and was very impressed with the production. and notes. The music itself is quite excellent (this is my first Tchicai leader date) and I was very impressed, considering that I had really no idea what I was in store for.

Besides the Barney Wilen (which I got a while back), that's the one I really want!

They should venture out and bring back some of the more adventurous stuff, too... Cecil in the Black Forest and that Indian album with Wilen, Schoof and Irene Schweizer would be high up on my wishlist! I think the later was on one of the Motor Music world twofers, but I missed that one...

Yeah, I nabbed an original Saba a while back - it's great!

I have to admit, for once I'm thinking 'stuff vinyl' the CD version of this is 'the biz'. I've had it on constant replay, nice sound and I like the modal Dauner and Ponty breaks. I'm also impressed with the packaging of this CD, which is up to the quality of 'Verve Elite Editions'.

Think I'll pick up a few more in this CD series. Hopefully a few more at £4 please?

Edited by sidewinder