Action Movies

Alright -- nothing artsy-fartsy, no characters that look like they came out of a Sprockets skit, and subtitles only when the bad guys are talking.

Some favorites:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Last Crusade

Die Hard (first one)

The Road Warrior

Terminator 2

the most recent Bond movie

The French Connection

I'm sure there are a ton that I am not thinking of.

Edited by Guy

well, I may not be able to play by the rules, and I don't quite have the same idea of an "action" movie per se, but here goes some of my favorites.

The Fifth Element

Alexander (Revisited version)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

House of Flying Daggers

Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut)

Hellboy (the first portion of this film is killer)

People in my sect, including myself, are not enamored with Mel Gibson lately, but giving credit where it's due, I thought "Apocalypto" was tremendous! Fabulous action sequences.

Yeah, I felt a little guilty putting "Road Warrior" up there -- but man, that was one hell of a chase scene. Perhaps I will check out Apocalypto.

My brother's philosophy on Gibson is to pirate his movies and share them widely in order to take away his revenue.

To add -- my comment about subtitles was tongue-in-cheek -- feel free to add non-Anglo action movies, eg Crouching Tiger.

The most recent Batman was excellent, as was the first one with Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton.

Guy

Edited by Guy

original-bullitt-movie-poster.jpg

Steve McQueen will, IMO, never be equalled for the coiled-rage characters he often played.

He was a true renegade who made guys like Stallone look like the poseurs they are.

Bullitt, for sure.

"Switchback" featured Dennis Quaid and Danny Glover.

Glover is the serial killer/kidnapper/murderer and Quaid is the good guy pusuing him.

Great suspense and stunt work.

Die Hard, All 3 have something to offer! Oh wait, they made a 4th one! Ain't seen it yet, don't like the "look" though.

All 3 Indy's as well. The first is the best of course, but the 2nd, for all it's faults, has some wonderful action sequences.

Bullitt.

Rocky. Only the first one though.

Tora!, Tora! Tora!!!

McQ.

Death Wish (Sue me!)

Terminator 2

Speed

The Adventures of Robin Hood

There have to be some other classic thrillers, but for some reason, I am drawing a complete blank!

I suffering from an attack of honesty, so nothing but "real" action movies on my list!

The Great Escape

The Dirty Dozen

Kelly's Heroes

Bridge Over the River Kwai (hey, I don't care if it is "deep"; it still gotta qualify!)

Damn, I'm getting old...

All fine movies.

Dirty Dozen and Kelly's Heroes in particular are among my all time favorites.

Plenty of good ones posted so far, so I'll throw in some not yet mentioned and excluding westerns.

Dirty Harry

Enter the Dragon

Goldfinger

Predator

Godzilla vs. Mothra ;)

Full Metal Jacket

48 Hours

Aliens - a rare example where the sequel actually takes things up a notch.

Really? It's a better "action" movie than the first, but. . . well. . . I like the first of all best of all four, and then I like the fourth next best.

I like the first the best too. What's unusual is that the original isn't really an "action" movie, but the sequel is.