March 25, 2008 RVGs

mgraham333

I've preordered the Stanley and the Lou. I have the prior releases of the Freddie (which I like a lot) and the Horace (which didn't do much for me).

• 2 weeks later...

Why can't we get the extra cut on this thing???!!!! Another cut lost to the vaults 'cause BN is asleep...

Lou Donaldson Quartet

Lou Donaldson (as) "Baby Face" Willette (org) Grant Green (g) Dave Bailey (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, January 23, 1961

tk.1 Watusi Jump Blue Note 45-1808, BLP 4066

tk.4 Here 'Tis Blue Note 45-1807, BLP 4066

tk.12 Cool Blues Blue Note BLP 4066

tk.13 Walk With Me -

tk.16 A Foggy Day -

tk.17 Untitled Donaldson Blues rejected

* Lou Donaldson - Here 'Tis (Blue Note BLP 4066, BST 84066)

* Lou Donaldson - Watusi Jump, Pt. 1&2 (Blue Note 45-1808)

* Lou Donaldson - Here 'Tis, Pt. 1&2 (Blue Note 45-1807)

I know it says it's rejected...but come on...the last take of a stellar date...it's a blues and these guys could play the blues.... :tdown

Probably just a botched ending, maybe with the musicians laughing, and then packing it up and going home. Nothing that would have left a Charlie Parker take unreleased, but Cuscuna simply doesn't release stuff like that, even if it's great until it breaks down.

I'm reminded of take 4 of the blues Parker's Mood (take 5 was the master take). It's great for 2 minutes and very different from the master take. Then Parker hits a bad note, and the take breaks down in laughter. But what's there for those two minutes is wonderful, and I wouldn't want to be without it. For all that Cuscuna has done as a reissue producer, stuff like that unfortunately remains in the can when he has his say. I'm sure that when there's a rejected track from an otherwise successful session, it's a botched ending or ensemble, maybe a soloist hitting a really bad note at some point, but nothing that makes the whole track uniformly bad.

Probably just a botched ending, maybe with the musicians laughing, and then packing it up and going home. Nothing that would have left a Charlie Parker take unreleased, but Cuscuna simply doesn't release stuff like that, even if it's great until it breaks down.

I'm reminded of take 4 of the blues Parker's Mood (take 5 was the master take). It's great for 2 minutes and very different from the master take. Then Parker hits a bad note, and the take breaks down in laughter. But what's there for those two minutes is wonderful, and I wouldn't want to be without it. For all that Cuscuna has done as a reissue producer, stuff like that unfortunately remains in the can when he has his say. I'm sure that when there's a rejected track from an otherwise successful session, it's a botched ending or ensemble, maybe a soloist hitting a really bad note at some point, but nothing that makes the whole track uniformly bad.

I'm not so convinced. In the past "rejected" has meant several things. One of which was....oh, that's actually good. Once it was listened to. Here's an example of another Donaldson missed opportunity

Lou Donaldson Quintet

Blue Mitchell (tp) Lou Donaldson (el-as, vo) Charles Earland (org) Jimmy Ponder (g) Leo Morris (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, November 6, 1968

tk.1 Brother Soul (alt. take) Blue Note B1 31883

tk.2 Brother Soul Blue Note BST 84299

tk.3 Snake Bone Blue Note 45-1943, BST 84299

tk.8 Say It Loud, I'm Black And I'm Proud -

tk.10 Caravan Blue Note BST 84299

tk.12 Summertime -

tk.16 Red Top unissued

* Various Artists - The Lost Grooves (Blue Note B1 31883)

* Lou Donaldson - Say It Loud! (Blue Note BST 84299)

* Lou Donaldson - Say It Loud c/w Snake Bone (Blue Note 45-1943)

When "Say It Loud" was reissued, neither the alternate of Brother Soul was included or the unissued Red Top. That's a very short album time-wise anyway and the omission is a drag imho.

• 2 weeks later...